Here is a perfect example of why we don't trust the MSM:

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Herdfan, Nov 6, 2017.

1. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Bad story, bad headline, they should be ridiculed. This is kind of like taking a bit of poison to build immunity, if you watch enough crap like this, you may be able to stomach Fox News.

2. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I don't understand why CNN would do this knowing that it could be so easily refuted and would only serve to further embolden Trump and give credence to his Fake News campaign. It's not like they accidentally released the video out of context, they purposefully edited it in a manner to further embarrass Trump. It's as petty as petty gets.

3. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

For the same reason FOX does it:
    - increases short term viewership
    - won't matter with their hardcore demograpgic

4. samcraig macrumors P6

You could ask the same about Trump, KAC and Sanders. Blatantly lie and then keep pushing their lies as truth.

5. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I could but that's not what this thread is about.

6. samcraig macrumors P6

"getting away with it."

It's the throughline.

7. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I don’t even have cable. I don’t watch TV and certainly do not put on MSM.

I get a feeling most who post here do lol

8. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Are you mixing up MSM with MSNBC?

9. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Nope, as the title of the thread says MSM...main stream media. That includes MSNBC,Fox,CNN etc.

10. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

But, do The Chicks like the incompetent, impulsive tweeting, **** grabbing, lying, narracistic, insecure, sociopathetic, bullying conman? Feeding the fish, although it was taken out of context, is small potatoes compared to the man’s real issues. Do they have a balanced view or they suffering from Stockholm Syndrome?

11. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

It also includes newspapers, internet, etc. Where do you get your news?

12. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Certainly not newspapers. Not eveything on the internet is MSM either. I cross reference a lot of stuff, but primarily online.

Why where do you get yours? Since you are so interested as to where I go.

13. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I'm just a bit wary of anyone that gets all their news from fringe sources.

14. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I wouldn’t even worry about what others are doing. And thanks for ignoring to say where your sources are from.

15. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I'm not worried about what anyone is doing as much as I'm evaluating the merit of their opinion based on where they might get their info.

As far as answering your question (I wasn't ignoring as much as I'm not sure it's relevance), I get my news from TV, Newspapers, On-line. Sources that would be considered MSM and others that would not.

I used to really respect CNN as a trustworthy and impartial source. I believe, however, that they've even gotten worse in impartiality and respectability as a result of Trump's Fake News claims.

16. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Because a 24/hour cable news channel needs, by definition, to come up with programming that fills a full twenty-four hours every day. Programming that meets at least some definition of "newsworthiness."

The story couldn't really be "refuted" because the video clearly showed Trump dumping a box of fish food into a Koi pond. Like it or not, Trump did that. The fact that the Japanese PM had just done something similar previously doesn't change that fact. Did CNN err in making the editorial decision to omit that fact? Sure. But over the course of the full twenty-four hours they, like any other news organization, are going to make hundreds if not thousands of similar editorial decisions. Inevitably they are going to slip up.

But that doesn't change the basic truth behind the videotape they ran. Trump dumped fish food in a Koi pond. Trump is President of the US - by definition a newsworthy figure - and we've decided that pretty much every public act of the US President is worth covering.

Does CNN, institutionally, dislike Donald Trump? I'd hardly be surprised if a great many employees of that network harbored an abiding dislike and disdain for Trump. But Trump has only himself to blame for that. Trump has gone out of his way to express contempt for the norms regarding the value that the Press in general bring to our Democracy. He has called for the press to be barred from news events. He has called for his supporters to physically assault journalists. Frequently singling out CNN in particular for his dangerous and unprecedentedly unPresidential rhetoric.

If Trump, or the deluded sycophants who support him, don't like the fact that CNN took a chance to take a cheap shot at him, he's got only himself to blame.

17. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

So they have too much time to fill and therefore must take an opportunity to disingenuously edit some film together in a manner that can only be construed as an attempt to embarrass Trump? Look, I don't like the guy and he certainly provides enough faux pax fodder on his own but I just don't understand why a once trustworthy and admirable news organization continues to stoop to his level.

18. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

CNN is the worst. Can’t see how anyone coukd still work their and call themselves respected journalists.

19. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

I would think that they would be extra careful to not air anything that is in the slightest bit wrong to counter all the fake news criticism they get. Not one person said maybe we shouldn't do this?

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Fox News would be the worst. Their spin is maybe an inch of truth layered in propaganda.

21. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

They are both horrible. lol again I’m not republican nor do I watch Fox.

Funny you would mention it specifically though.

I wouldn’t consider one being worse than the other, Fox spins and CNN lies.

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

There is a legitimate criticism to be made over the "tabloidization" of our journalistic institutions.

But this is hardly a new phenomenon. From the earliest days of the profession, editors and reporters have struggled with the inherent conflict between the desire to accurately and impartially report the most important news of the day - with the very real need to sell a product that people and advertisers are willing to pay for.

And I'd put the "Trump Dumps Fish Food" story into the latter, tabloid category.

23. Irishman macrumors 68030

So, you're saying that they're good for a laugh, but not much else?

I would tend to agree.

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Removing the context—Abe dumped his box too—is a mistake, but they didn't really "disingenuously edit" the "film together" such much as cut it down to remove what they saw as an extra bit.

I think this is a mistake and I wish that CNN would step back, slow down and think harder about credibility. But, on the other hand, Fox News hasn't met a pot it wouldn't stir or a molehill they couldn't transform, so while I'm furious with CNN for constantly making these kinds of mistakes, we have to look seriously at most conservative "news" sources that edit and transform any event or incident into new political fodder. (See, also The Daily Caller, Breitbart, etc.)

In many ways, the golden age of objective journalism was a freak occurrence. Take a look at the mudslinging between papers in Colonial America, the penny novels of the westward expansion, and the yellow journalism of Pulitzer and we see that the advent of the radio and television really pushed journalism into the objectivity we've grown to enjoy.

Now, we have a choice. Do we want objective, fact-based journalism. As the cliche goes, "Afflict the comfortable, comfort the afflicted," or do we want our journalists to give succor to our preconceived notions.

I'd prefer the former. But, more and more readers and viewers are preferring the latter.

25. Peace macrumors Core

Peace