Carrier Here is how to order an iPhone 6 from Verizon “device only” (no VZW account needed)

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
These steps worked to buy a full priced iPhone 5s directly from Verizon no contract. The steps should work for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus as well.

I just tried the steps selecting an iPhone 5s and it worked.

First of all let me point out that it is pretty clear to me that there is a glitch on Verizon’s iconic portal website that allows one to do this, and would not be surprised if it was patched rather quickly (if it has not been already). With that said I was able to order a Verizon iPhone 5S (at full price) without having to sign up for _any_ service whatsoever or go through any kind of credit check, following these steps:

1. Go to Verizon’s iconic portal website:
  2. https://preorder.verizonwireless.com/iconic/
  3. Click on “New Customer”, then enter your zip code (I assume Verizon service should be available at the zip code one enters…)
  4. At the “What are you shopping for today?” page, click on “Continue” under “Order Device _with_ Wireless Service”.
  5. Select “Individual Customer” (not sure how things work if you go with “Business Customer”)
  6. Under “Select Wireless Device” Make sure to select:
    • “All Devices” (“Showcase” devices might not show you all the phones)
    • Pricing for: “Month-to-Month” (to get full-retail prices)
  7. Now scroll down and select the phone model you’d like (clicking on the “Select” button next to it).
  8. Click on “Continue”. (Note that it seems like you can add more than one phone if you’d want)
  9. At this point the “Select Share Plan” selection page comes up. Instead of selecting a plan, just start hitting the “Back” navigation button displayed on the pages, until you are back at the beginning page (at step 3: “What are you shopping for today?”)
  10. Now click on “Continue” under “Order Device _without_ Service”. Notice that the phone you selected earlier is still in your basket (hence the glitch). So from here on just click continue and towards the end fill out the Billing/Shipping/Payment/etc. information. At no point will you be asked to select a phone number, give SSN details, etc., or any such nonsense. With the free 2-day Fedex shipping (and apparently having all iPhones currently in stock), the phone should be at your doorstep pretty quick.

That’s it. The phone I received does have a Verizon SIM in it (but I have taken it out even before turning it on, as I will be putting in an other SIM). Note that I did wait writing all this up until I had the phone in my hand (hey Verizon, no takesies backsies! :))
Steps taken from this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1675136

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
I wonder if this will actually work for the 6. It only has the 64GB space grey 5s even though their normal store has all models. Seems safer to just buy it device only the normal way and cancel your plan right away.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
I wonder if this will actually work for the 6. It only has the 64GB space grey 5s even though their normal store has all models. Seems safer to just buy it device only the normal way and cancel your plan right away.
All of the models show up for me. I was able to add a Gold 64GB iPhone 5s to my cart and I got all the way to payment before I stopped.

If the iPhone 6 is listed on the site tonight I see no reason this method would not work.

Attachments

skimcpip

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
All of the models show up for me. I was able to add a Gold 64GB iPhone 5s to my cart and I got all the way to payment before I stopped.

If the iPhone 6 is listed on the site tonight I see no reason this method would not work.
Just tried and it didn't work but I'll try a different browser.

UPDATE: I was doing it wrong. This works. Do you think it'll actually ship this way or will they pull the old "There's a problem with your order" business?

UPDATE 2: I reviewed the forum those instructions were originally posted in and one person reported this method working and another person reported that his order was cancelled.

Last edited:

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Just tried and it didn't work but I'll try a different browser.

UPDATE: I was doing it wrong. This works. Do you think it'll actually ship this way or will they pull the old "There's a problem with your order" business?

UPDATE 2: I reviewed the forum those instructions were originally posted in and one person reported this method working and another person reported that his order was cancelled.
I'd say go ahead and try it. The worst that can happen is they cancel your order and you're not charge.

I'm going to buy full priced unlocked anyway. I'd prefer getting the Verizon version for the resale value. When I'm ready I can sell it to someone who has Verizon, At&T or T-Mobile.

smokechaser

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
Kansas City
I originally ordered in an odd-ball way in the middle of the night last night. It wouldn't let me chose my unlimited data plan on checkout....so after seeing this process I have canceled my pre-order and did a second one using these steps. It works and says deliver by 9/19 even on the new order.

smokechaser

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
Kansas City
I just tried it. It worked for the iPhone 6!
Thank you very much for this information. I couldn't get through the process using my existing account. I feel much better now just ordered a full priced phone not attached to an account and then having activation move it over when I get it so I keep my unlimited plan.

Dmal99

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
Ummm, I just chose "show full price option"

did you people not get that? Because i got it on 2 different VZW accounts.

dopke

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
I don't know if my CC really rejected the pending authorization or not, but got an email today saying my order was on hold and I needed to give them a call. After calling, they basically blamed my CC for rejecting the pending auth. and so I was automatically removed from the queue -- earliest ship date for the iphone 6 64GB is now Oct 7th from VZW according to the person I spoke with. Gave me that date because they said I had to order as if it was a new order as she could not change the payment option.

Curious how other people's orders went if you did this as well. Keep in mind I do not have a verizon account, was hoping to get one off contract just to use on ATT.

Last edited:

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
So I order it, select month to month. Once the phone is delivered just cancel the plan?

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Yeah I did the steps. Individual customer, month to month. Then it asks me to select a plan. After that it asks for ssn for credit approval

solodogg

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
Orlando
I don't know if my CC really rejected the pending authorization or not, but got an email today saying my order was on hold and I needed to give them a call. After calling, they basically blamed my CC for rejecting the pending auth. and so I was automatically removed from the queue -- earliest ship date for the iphone 6 64GB is now Oct 7th from VZW according to the person I spoke with. Gave me that date because they said I had to order as if it was a new order as she could not change the payment option.

Curious how other people's orders went if you did this as well. Keep in mind I do not have a verizon account, was hoping to get one off contract just to use on ATT.
exact same thing happened to me. Claimed my security code from the back of the card was wrong. NOPE, checked, double checked, and triple checked before I placed the order. They told me the soonest I could get it was 10/14, even though I had all of the emails stating 9/19.

So...it's canceled. Apple's website still says 9/19 availability on the Verizon models as of this morning.

bwapod

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
Can someone try again and see if it works for them
I followed the instructions (back up all the way once you hit the "select a plan" screen and choose device only).

Worked for me.

Got my tracking # for my gray 64GB 6.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I followed the instructions (back up all the way once you hit the "select a plan" screen and choose device only).

Worked for me.

Got my tracking # for my gray 64GB 6.

U didn't have to put in ssn info?

----------

U didn't have to put in ssn info?

It made me select a plan. After that I put in my personal info. Then the next screen was the credit approval info

Mikebuzzsaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I can confirm this works. I just got a tracking number now. Delivery for 9/19.

I don't have a verizon account or needed to put in any of my social security info.

platoaddict

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
It made me select a plan. After that I put in my personal info. Then the next screen was the credit approval info
Once you arrived at the page for selecting a plan, you needed to back all the way out. The one thing that is slightly different now than under the prior instructions is that the website automatically jumps over the page that asks about device w/ service or device w/o service.

When you back all the way up, you'll get back to the "new" or "existing" customer screen (which was your first page before). You'll now notice a "back" and "continue" button at the bottom right. Click "back." Now, you can choose "order device without service." The device you previously selected will be available for you. Now continue, and you will simply need to provide payment information.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Yeah I did the steps. Individual customer, month to month. Then it asks me to select a plan. After that it asks for ssn for credit approval
After choosing month to month and selecting an iPhone you click back 3 times to go back to the start of the order process then select "device without service" at the bottom left. Click continue twice then enter payment information for a full priced phone without service plan.

You did not follow the steps correctly.

Last edited:

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Here is how to order an iPhone 6 from Verizon “device only” (no VZW account n...

Ah I see. It works now. Thanks everyone! 900 after tax. Doesn't give delivery date though

Last edited: