here is how you will experience the notch of the iPhone X

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
try this next time you're watching your favorite TV show/movie.

Grab an empty soda bottle (1,5 litre), sit down on your couch in front of the TV. Lay down the empty bottle on the table between you and the TV. But make sure the bottle is in sight between you and the TV

Enjoy your favorite TV show/movie......and the bottle ( = iPhone X notch ) on the table!

:cool:

#TheNotch

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
If I have it’s been for casual fluff that I don’t really care how it’s presented. I mean does “the notch” really ruin your enjoyment of the latest YouTube cat video?
it will certainly annoy me and/or distract in a way that it will lower the enjoyment.
[doublepost=1506157302][/doublepost]
Or just double tap to fit if it bothers you that much. Or if it bothers you THAT much, don't buy and iPhone X. Problem solved.
so if something bothers you, you are not allowed/entitled to discuss it? mmm okay

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
try this next time you're watching your favorite TV show/movie.

Grab an empty soda bottle (1,5 litre), sit down on your couch in front of the TV. Lay down the empty bottle on the table between you and the TV. But make sure the bottle is in sight between you and the TV

Enjoy your favorite TV show/movie......and the bottle ( = iPhone X notch ) on the table!

:cool:

#TheNotch
The notch will never bother me.

en Geert, ik maar denken dat wij Hollanders nuchterder waren voor dit soort onzin posts :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Geert76

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
The notch will never bother me.

en Geert, ik maar denken dat wij Hollanders nuchterder waren voor dit soort onzin posts :)
haha blijkbaar houdt 't me toch bezig he...twijfel nog enorm tussen de 8 Plus en de X

(just 2 Dutch guys chit-chatting about the X and the 8 Plus ;) )

Rayban

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
it will certainly annoy me and/or distract in a way that it will lower the enjoyment.
[doublepost=1506157302][/doublepost]

so if something bothers you, you are not allowed/entitled to discuss it? mmm okay
I didn't say you're not allowed/entitled your opinion/discussion. I gave a simple solution to (it seems) many people's problem.

eyedoc2020

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2015
NOVA
The notch is ridiculous in today’s tech world. For a long time Apple has dominated the phone market with no competition. They have been resting on their laurels while Samsung keeps getting better and better. The Note 8 display is the best on the market BY FAR! Time to get it together Apple. Remove the travesty in the notch and move on. Time for the iPhone Xs to come out...

Reactions: Eagle1337

unobtainium

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2011
Or just double tap to fit if it bothers you that much. Or if it bothers you THAT much, don't buy and iPhone X. Problem solved.
No, you don’t have to “double tap to fit it.” Just the opposite actually. You would have to double tap to zoom in, in which case the video will be slightly cropped at the edges, AS ALWAYS. Go ahead, try it on your Notchless phone.

Rayban

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
No, you don’t have to “double tap to fit it.” Just the opposite actually. You would have to double tap to zoom in, in which case the video will be slightly cropped at the edges, AS ALWAYS. Go ahead, try it on your Notchless phone.
OK fair enough. Whatever the gesture, your video watching experience can be "notchless" if that's what you prefer.

Example at the 2m54s mark:

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
OK fair enough. Whatever the gesture, your video watching experience can be "notchless" if that's what you prefer.

Example at the 2m54s mark:
hey, thanks for sharing the video! :)
yes, so you got 2 options to watch a video;

-1 full screen with the always visible black notch that ''blocks'' the content showing your video content
- 2 watch the video notchless with nice black bars around the video, but then with the content quite shrinked (letterboxed/cropped)

in this video you first see the lady in the clip fullscreen, and then the lady becomes some sort of minion :D:D

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
You don’t like it and won’t buy it. I think we all get it by now.
I am still planning on ordering one on the 27th of oct, so maybe you should not run into conclusions that fast ;)

But I know that there are some people dont really care the (small details) when spending $1150+ for an iPhone, they'll just take anything from Apple...no questions asked or doing some really good research before buying.

And then there is a group who really would like to know all details before making a $1150+ investment for a smartphone.

I respect both groups in making their decisions.

If I buy a car, I wanna know all details before I buy it, same with the most expensive smartphone ever.

iSayBoourns

Suspended
Sep 15, 2017
Am I the only one that expects the notch to be blacked out in videos? Wouldn’t be that hard to achieve.
It does when you watch a video properly. The notch only intrudes on a video if the user purposely double taps to zoom in the video.
[doublepost=1506223296][/doublepost]
Alright alright can the anti notch people just move on now? You don’t like it and won’t buy it. I think we all get it by now.
It’s the same people who cried about the headphone jack last year. “So many” people claimed they will never buy the 7/7+ because of it. Yet the 7/7+ was one of he best selling iPhones to date.

Reactions: iScone

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It does when you watch a video properly. The notch only intrudes on a video if the user purposely double taps to zoom in the video.
[doublepost=1506223296][/doublepost]

It’s the same people who cried about the headphone jack last year. “So many” people claimed they will never buy the 7/7+ because of it. Yet the 7/7+ was one of he best selling iPhones to date.
Do we can conclude that this is a non issue for nearly everyone?

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
We can conclude that some people will buy it (me) and some people won't
True. And that's why Apple offers an expansive lineup for an iPhone for some. The iPhone X is not for everyone, and Apple didn't intend it to be for everyone.

Infiniverse48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2017
hey, thanks for sharing the video! :)
yes, so you got 2 options to watch a video;

-1 full screen with the always visible black notch that ''blocks'' the content showing your video content
- 2 watch the video notchless with nice black bars around the video, but then with the content quite shrinked (letterboxed/cropped)

in this video you first see the lady in the clip fullscreen, and then the lady becomes some sort of minion :D:D
Let me start by saying the notch is an absolute abomination of software design, but they did do one thing right, and that’s video. The default setting for video is to attain the correct aspect ratio to the display, and letterbox/pillarbox the remainder of the display, just like every single iPhone before the iPhone X, and every single TV, laptop, iPad, etc.

The iPhone X will have significant pillar boxes when watching 16:9 video, and less significant pillar boxes, but some letter boxes as well, when watching Cinema wide movies. This is the result of the display aspect ratio, and it’s completely understandable, and completely acceptable. It may not be acceptable for Plus users if they don’t understand aspect ratios though, because they will be losing approximately 0.5” diagonal screen real estate when watching 16:9 video, but they’ll lose virtually nothing when watching Cinema wide movies.

4.7” iPhone users can expect about a 0.3” diagonal gain in screen when watching 16:9 video, and a massive gain when watching Cinema wide.

Here is a graphic for 4.7” iPhone vs iPhone X for 16:9 content:
1FD658B0-4DA5-4F41-87A1-5179C3A7017C.png

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
Let me start by saying the notch is an absolute abomination of software design, but they did do one thing right, and that’s video. The default setting for video is to attain the correct aspect ratio to the display, and letterbox/pillarbox the remainder of the display, just like every single iPhone before the iPhone X, and every single TV, laptop, iPad, etc.

The iPhone X will have significant pillar boxes when watching 16:9 video, and less significant pillar boxes, but some letter boxes as well, when watching Cinema wide movies. This is the result of the display aspect ratio, and it’s completely understandable, and completely acceptable. It may not be acceptable for Plus users if they don’t understand aspect ratios though, because they will be losing approximately 0.5” diagonal screen real estate when watching 16:9 video, but they’ll lose virtually nothing when watching Cinema wide movies.

4.7” iPhone users can expect about a 0.3” diagonal gain in screen when watching 16:9 video, and a massive gain when watching Cinema wide.

Here is a graphic for 4.7” iPhone vs iPhone X for 16:9 content:
View attachment 720608
thanks! make things about the Plus model, X and non-Plus model, a lot more clear now.