Here is the guy you are rioting for in Charlotte.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Sep 28, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Did you mean "would" say? :D
    We have reached a point where people are protesting/rioting/looting for ANY death by police. I'm on the wrong phone and about to shower but shooting in El Cajon (CA) sparked protest. Oath keepers are being called to protect businesses .

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Don't let @Renzatic hear about you in the shower. You may find yourself in a steamy shower pr0n scene that would make Basic Instinct and 50 Shades of Grey look like an afternoon episode of Bob Ross. :D

BL.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

4. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Where is Renzatic? I miss him.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I saw him first :mad:

6. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

The wife said he did not have a gun. Unfortunately for the legal system this makes her an uncredible witness. Perhaps she knew and was trying to protect. Or, entirely possible, she had no idea. The fact she defended him despite a history of domestic violence IMO has little context considering the number of battered women who sadly feel compelled to standby their abusive husbands despite all signs screaming LEAVE.

My non-rhetorical question: If someone is pulled over and their license plate or ID run, do officers have access to aspects the individual's criminal record? Would the computer or dispatcher indicate individual had a record of violent crimes?

Therefore if the cops knew they were responding to suspect with a violent past, would it not be logical they would extra sensitive?

I'm all for giving people second chances in life and giving them the opportunity to rebuild from mistakes of the past. That said, the video clearly demonstrates the officers requesting the suspect to drop the gun. He did not. Had he followed instructions he'd probably be alive and have the opportunity to make his case in court.

I was always taught to my parents to follow police orders. Same by school teachers. Hell, it was even a question on my driving test. Yes there have been cases of wrongful deaths, some cases technically found to be legal are legal despite objections to the laws in place. The common theme here is follow the rules.

7. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Yes

Yes

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

ID yes. License plate? No IIRC

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

That's end if thread material in my book.

10. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Nobody ever told me to obey police orders, not my parents or my school or my driving test (which I have never taken). On the rare occasion it is relevant I just do so for the same reason I put trash in the bin without anyone ever teaching me to. Just like my 2 year old nephew did before he had even mastered the dark art of talking.

11. Jess13, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016

Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Keith Lamont Scott got himself killed by stupidly exiting his vehicle with his gun in right hand and resisting the dozen-plus orders by CMPD officers to drop it. (While inside his vehicle, he had already drawn his gun and was ordered to drop it. He then exited his vehicle with gun still drawn, continuing to resist orders to drop it.) Brentley Vinson, the CMPD officer who killed him, stupidly shot him four times in the torso instead of, for example, once in the arm or torso, which would probably have been sufficient to immobilize the threat to officers.

:33 in his wife’s cellphone recording

“Drop the gun! Drop the ****ing gun! Drop it! Drop the gun!”

(L) :48 in dash cam; (C) :53-:54 in dash cam; (R) :26 in body cam

Black object, same color as gun, in right hand and by right foot

KeithLamontScott.png

Once exited—gun in right hand, in defensively-combative posture continuing to resist orders—he then backed away from officers in manner that could have been [anticipatorily] perceived to them as possible escape attempt. At this moment—by North Carolina law—officers had justification to both use force and deadly force. (But that didn’t mean excessive force was justified.)

§ 15A-401. Arrest by law-enforcement officer.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/pdf/byarticle/chapter_15a/article_20.pdf

(d) Use of Force in Arrest.

(1) Subject to the provisions of subdivision (2), a law-enforcement officer is justified in using force upon another person when and to the extent that he reasonably believes it necessary:
    1. To prevent the escape from custody or to effect an arrest of a person who he reasonably believes has committed a criminal offense, unless he knows that the arrest is unauthorized; or
    2. To defend himself or a third person from what he reasonably believes to be the use or imminent use of physical force while effecting or attempting to effect an arrest or while preventing or attempting to prevent an escape.
    3. (2) A law-enforcement officer is justified in using deadly physical force upon another person for a purpose specified in subdivision (1) of this subsection only when it is or appears to be reasonably necessary thereby:
    (2) To defend himself or a third person from what he reasonably believes to be the use or imminent use of deadly physical force;
    1. To effect an arrest or to prevent the escape from custody of a person who he reasonably believes is attempting to escape by means of a deadly weapon, or who by his conduct or any other means indicates that he presents an imminent threat of death or serious physical injuryto others unless apprehended without delay; or
    2. To prevent the escape of a person from custody imposed upon him as a result of conviction for a felony.
    3. Nothing in this subdivision constitutes justification for willful, malicious or criminally negligent conduct by any person which injures or endangers any person or property, nor shall it be construed to excuse or justify the use of unreasonable or excessive force.
    Nothing in this subdivision constitutes justification for willful, malicious or criminally negligent conduct by any person which injures or endangers any person or property, nor shall it be construed to excuse or justify the use of unreasonable or excessive force.

In my opinion, Keith Lamont Scott should not have been killed. He could probably have been subdued with one non-lethal shot to his arm or torso. It is my belief the CMPD officer who killed him used excessive force. But also, whether you agree with the law or not, officers had justified use of force and it is his own fault that he was shot.

After the shooting, information on his character was released: He was a bad guy.

In 2004, his wife had a restraining order against him for: stabbing her in the back nearly puncturing her lung, slicing her ear with the knife, and bruising her. In 2015, his wife had another restraining order against him for: punching her 8-year-old son in the head three times with his fist, kicking her, and threatening to kill them both with his gun.

2004.jpeg

scott_release_5.jpg

Keith Lamont Scott also had been imprisoned in Texas for six years, after he was convicted of shooting a guy he claimed had threatened him. (The shooting was found to not have been self-defense.)

Keith Lamont Scott, the day he was killed, illegally possessed a handgun (felon) stolen in a break and enter. CMPD issued statement: It is their belief he bought the gun, he didn’t steal it himself.

Both Keith Lamont Scott and the CMPD officer who killed him, were stupid. And the [stolen] gun likely was his reason for resisting arrest and what got him killed, i.e. not wanting to go to prison for it.

Officer Brentley Vinson most likely will not be criminally charged, though he could—and probably should—be. He clearly used excessive force, firing four shots into torso from close range.

Verdict: Both Keith Lamont Scott and Officer Brentley Vinson were at fault.

12. kapolani macrumors 6502

Keyboard commando.

It doesn't happen that way in real life.

You don't have time to figure out intent if there are weapons involved.

He was a dirtbag, had a gun, wasn't complying.

Good shoot.

13. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Ask the black guy who shot him.

Or the black chief of police.

14. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

He had a gun. He put himself in this position.

15. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Again, thank you for proving my point. If someone like @jkcerda or @lostngone or anyone else here with a CCL or open carry gets pulled over by the LEOs, by your reckoning, it is fair game that the LEOs shoot them dead just for having the gun, regardless of intent or reasoning why they have the gun.

LEOs enforce the law, not immediately go gung ho off of something without the imminent threat of danger.

BL.

17. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

Open and concealed carry are very different than exiting a vehicle with a firearm in your hand. Being pulled over with a firearm in your car is also different than exiting a vehicle with a firearm in your hand.

If you live in a state where you have a duty to inform, tell the officer, and follow commands. Some states have a provision that only requires you inform if asked. Again, follow the commands of the officer. A lot of officers don't care and will thank you for telling them. Some will disarm you.

People are pulled over everyday with firearms in their vehicle without incident.

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

That is my exact point. Now, can anyone prove that Scott had the gun in his hand as he exited the vehicle?

BL.

19. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

License plate are the owner of the car, not the drivers. License, yes.

In my State our Concealed carry license is tied to our plates, so when I get pulled over they already know that there is likely a gun in the vehicle.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

sucks to be you :p it's not tied here in CA, motorcycle cop that pulled me over opened up his eyes really wide when I handed him my DL and my LTC :D

21. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

He's probably been on the force for 20 years and never saw one in the wild. How rare are they?
    We have to declare here, the only time I have been pulled over was in Virginia. The trooper walks up, I inform him, he says "Don't me show me yours and I won't show you mine." "Sounds like a great plan to me!" I still got the ticket.:(

22. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

When I am carrying I keep my permit card right next to my drivers licence. If a cop pulls me over and asks for "Licence, insurance, and registration" I also always include my carry permit card (it's only happened twice). I don't say anything, I sit still with hands at 10 and 2 on the wheel. I then await instructions. Both times the cops were cool about it but certainly a little more cautious.

Cary permit or not, If I had come out of the car with a gun in my hand you can bet the cops would empty the clip center mast, and rightly so.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 29, 2016 ---
    But you informed him and you didn't just whip the gun out in front of him. There s a big difference between doing it right and doing what the subject of the OP did.

23. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

You drive a boat?:eek:

24. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

IMG_0003.PNG IMG_0004.JPG

25. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

Possibly a 70's Caddy?