Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
I ran into this during an iPad info search -- it's an app that turns an iPad into a portable live TV production booth control panel for $195. $195! Genius.

For the budding amateur or entrepreneur this opens up an entire new world previously unaffordable. That's what being revolutionary is all about, and is the type of new applications the iPad is going to launch. It's why I'm excited about the iPad, and why it's so much more than the eReader for grandma that the arrogant, ignorant h8trs try to diminish the iPad to.

Link to press release

574009.jpg

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Well that's great, but can I do something simple on it like deliver Live Support for my clients on the go? No, because it can't multitask and doesn't support the Flash software that it uses.

Sorry, that the iPad being a massive disappointment because I love Apple products yet it's useless to my needs makes me 'arrogant' then.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
yet it's useless to my needs makes me 'arrogant' then.

Yes, because not every product can be targeted to every consumer. There are plenty of products that for one reason do not work for me, yet, I don't go around the Internet and say they suck because they don't fit my personal needs. If its pure junk, I'll speak up, but if it's a good product, just not for me, no, I don't go trashing it.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
A nice example of why it's content that will drive the iPad, not the hardware.

Also a nice example of why a bigger screen is a key point in the ultimate success - it allows better and more flexible apps. Hard to imagine running that program from your iPhone.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Yes, because not every product can be targeted to every consumer. There are plenty of products that for one reason do not work for me, yet, I don't go around the Internet and say they suck because they don't fit my personal needs. If its pure junk, I'll speak up, but if it's a good product, just not for me, no, I don't go trashing it.

But it's 2010. And Apple haven't got a serious Tablet product out that can really pull business customers away for the PC market. This is 10 years of start and stop production, many of us really thought we'd get something great, but we got an iPod Touch with a bigger screen and a few tweeks - it will be the Apps that carry this device. Yes it will sell bucketloads, but that doesn't make it revolutionary, or magical. They already accomplished this feat with the iPhone release. Revolutionary is getting performance in a smaller package, not larger, ie. OS X on a Tablet.

Face it, you only want to hear the good, and have admitted that you don't want to hear the negative, well tough luck. Apple sectioned out a segment of consumers and they happen to have a voice.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Face it, you only want to hear the good, and have admitted that you don't want to hear the negative, well tough luck. Apple sectioned out a segment of consumers and they happen to have a voice.

Face it, you are only capable of judging the iPad relative to your own unrealistic expectations of what such a device was going to be.

Your problem is that YOU weren't part of the market that Apple sectioned out. Better luck next time. In the meantime, judge it by what it is and is going to be rather than what you were hoping for.

JonnyIreland

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
Toronto, Canada
But it's 2010. And Apple haven't got a serious Tablet product out that can really pull business customers away for the PC market.

A few points in response..

-I don't remember Apple EVER announcing that they were about to release a business tablet/pad... In fact, they didn't announce anything.

-I'm sorry, I guess I missed all those great tablets that have been released by their competitors, the ones that you hoped Apple would pull customers away from.

-I am not sure that Apple owes you/me/the world anything. It's this simple: don't like the iPad? Don't buy it then, how does that sound?

Note: I'm not picking on you because I don't know you, so don't take my reply personally. But I'm sick of reading all this complaining, I just can't stand people who act like Apple, a for-profit-business, OWES them a certain product.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
A few points in response..

-I don't remember Apple EVER announcing that they were about to release a business tablet/pad... In fact, they didn't announce anything.

-I'm sorry, I guess I missed all those great tablets that have been released by their competitors, the ones that you hoped Apple would pull customers away from.

-I am not sure that Apple owes you/me/the world anything. It's this simple: don't like the iPad? Don't buy it then, how does that sound?

Note: I'm not picking on you because I don't know you, so don't take my reply personally. But I'm sick of reading all this complaining, I just can't stand people who act like Apple, a for-profit-business, OWES them a certain product.

I don't remember Apple saying they were releasing a gimped Tablet without an iPhone OS and no Flash support, virtually no ports etc etc. An OS X Tablet is a Tablet for everyone. This offering was a nice way to cash in on the App Store success. What's your point.

The fact that there aren't any great Tablets by competitors is why I buy Apple and have been waiting for an Apple Tablet for some time. What's your point? That no-one including Apple have made a great Tablet yet? I agree.

No-one said Apple owes them anything, that's just a generic response you've cop/pasted from any fanboy who can't take criticism on the forum. You dont have to tell me not to buy it, I'm not buying it. Again, what's your point?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Revolutionary is getting performance in a smaller package, not larger, ie. OS X on a Tablet.

Careful, you are exposing your flawed logic. Please explain to me how the control panel shown above is usable on a smaller screen like a Touch. Historically speaking, "revolutionary products" are those that make expensive technology affordable to the masses. This control panel is just one example.

I think what you need to realize is that you can't see the forrest for the trees. Step back and you'll see something beautiful.

JonnyIreland

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I don't remember Apple saying they were releasing a gimped Tablet without an iPhone OS and no Flash support, virtually no ports etc etc. An OS X Tablet is a Tablet for everyone. This offering was a nice way to cash in on the App Store success. What's your point.

The fact that there aren't any great Tablets by competitors is why I buy Apple and have been waiting for an Apple Tablet for some time. What's your point? That no-one including Apple have made a great Tablet yet? I agree.

No-one said Apple owes them anything, that's just a generic response you've cop/pasted from any fanboy who can't take criticism on the forum. You dont have to tell me not to buy it, I'm not buying it. Again, what's your point?

Again, Apple never claimed to be releasing anything. The iPad, as we now know it, is more of an entertainment device than for productivity, obviously. I'm sure there is no argument with that by anyone. So, you don't like it? Boo f***ing hoo, cry me a river. Go buy something else that meets your needs. Oh wait, that's right, as you admit -nobody else has produced the "right" product for you either. Do you go to those Forums and spout hate too? I'm guessing the answer is "no".

By the way, I don't need to "copy/paste" Apple fanboy responses, I can speak and type for myself, thanks. I'm not a fanboy either, which is why I have both a Sony Vaio PC and a Mac.

I guess I just don't get people like you.... If I don't like the new Ford car, I don't feel the need to go to a Ford Forum and post negative comments or make statements about what the car doesn't do or have.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Careful, you are exposing your flawed logic. Please explain to me how the control panel shown above is usable on a smaller screen like a Touch. Historically speaking, "revolutionary products" are those that make technology affordable to the masses. This control panel is just one example.

I think what you need to realize is that you can't see the forrest for the trees. Step back and you'll see something beautiful.

Oh I see, so when Apple said Revolutionary they meant, affordable to the masses? Where exactly did Jobs give that definition? Is this something they're selling in Africa for a dollar or what? I think you're making up definitions now, and that control panel wasn't made by Apple, and the masses aren't interested in that control panel either. Real world ding ding.

Maybe you should take you own advice and see past the hype. This is a cash in on the successful App store.

komquat

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
Upper Peninsula
Well that's great, but can I do something simple on it like deliver Live Support for my clients on the go? No, because it can't multitask and doesn't support the Flash software that it uses.

What kind of live support do you offer your clients? and what flash software is used?

niuniu

macrumors 68020
What kind of live support do you offer your clients? and what flash software is used?

We offer Live Support on our products (usage etc) using software made my Zopim. It's Flash based is all I know. We're a pretty small team, so really like I was saying last year before this iPad business, a Tablet that we could use to deliver support on the move would help us a lot (all our files are saved on OS X so it'd be best to stay OS X, or Windows, not mix both).

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Maybe you should take you own advice and see past the hype. This is a cash in on the successful App store.

So what? Obviously it was a good marketing decision by Apple. How does Apple's marketing hype hurt you? Why are you so pissed off about it?

In your vast enlightenment, what is it you see exactly there beyond the hype? Another product in the gadget market that doesn't meet your needs? So, you slam that product? Frankly, we'd all just prefer it if you'd do to your room, close the door, and sulk about how today's tech companies just don't have the level of marketing brilliance that you do.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Revolutionary is getting performance in a smaller package, not larger, ie. OS X on a Tablet.

And here is the problem EVERY iPad hater can't seem to grasp: OS X and Windows are desktop/laptop operating systems. The iPad is a new genre of computing device. You are interfacing with it and your data in a whole new way. You put Snow Leopard on the thing and it will FAIL miserably.

You haters are the punch card shufflers who can't grasp magnetic media, the coders who can't grasp the GUI, the keyboarders who cant grasp the mouse. You all are so wrapped up in the here and now you can't see the future. In 10 years your concept of what a computer actually is may be radically different. You have a failure of IMAGINATION.

You are stuck:
4506VV4002.jpg

niuniu

macrumors 68020
So what? How does Apple's marketing hype hurt you? Why are you so pissed off about it?

In your vast enlightenment, what is it you see exactly there beyond the hype? Another product in the gadget market that doesn't meet your needs? So, you slam that product? Frankly, we'd all just prefer it if you'd do to your room, close the door, and sulk about how today's tech companies just don't have the level of marketing brilliance that you do.

I'm not pissed off about it, only reason I posted here was because the OP made a smug post and called critics arrogant and haters. If you're one sided, expect to get what you deserve.

And like you say, I'd prefer not to listen to fanboys who can't criticism, I'd much prefer it if they'd stay in their bedroom in mommy's house and touch themselves while staring at the pre-order confirmation. Roll on the day where we have a forum where you have Apple fans who have a balanced PoV.

And here is the problem EVERY iPad hater can't seem to grasp: OS X and Windows are desktop/laptop operating systems. The iPad is a new genre of computing device. You are interfacing with it and your data in a whole new way. You put Snow Leopard on the thing and it will FAIL miserably.

You haters are the punch card shufflers who can't grasp magnetic media, the coders who can't grasp the GUI, the keyboarders who cant grasp the mouse. You all are so wrapped up in the here and now you can't see the future. In 10 years your concept of what a computer actually is may be radically different. You have a failure of IMAGINATION.

You're the one lacking imagination. OS X could be packaged in a lighter form while maintaining functionality.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I'm not pissed off about it, only reason I posted here was because the OP made a smug post and called critics arrogant and haters. If you're one sided, expect to get what you deserve.

And like you say, I'd prefer not to listen to fanboys who can't criticism, I'd much prefer it if they'd stay in their bedroom in mommy's house and touch themselves while staring at the pre-order confirmation. Roll on the day where we have a forum where you have Apple fans who have a balanced PoV.

I guess the frustrating part about posters like you is YOUR inability have a balanced point of view. Chupa posts an example of a reason why the iPad will be useful, but instead of ignoring it you just have to lob in your negativity.

As to your "preference" about listening to fanboys, that has a simple solution, since no one is forcing you to read threads like this one. OTOH, the disappointment just really grates on you, doesn't it? Just impossible to shrug it off and ignore, right? So, people are enthusiastic about the iPad and you aren't. You need to get in there and try to burst their bubble because in your disappointment you just can't stand the fact that they aren't seeing the issue the same way you are. You should go into your dark room, touch yourself, and try to figure out why that is, exactly.

Seriously, slink away. Take your hurt feelings somewhere else. You're not gonna get any traction here, and sales figures appear to indicate that.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
You're the one lacking imagination. OS X could be packaged in a lighter form while maintaining functionality.

The iPhone OS *is* "OS X packaged in a lighter form." Ok, it's missing a few functionalities, but it's not easy to port all the various elements from a desktop OS to a multitouch environement. Personally, I'm willing to give Apple a few more years to get all the elements ported over.

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008

Or they could just use their OS perfectly designed for touch interaction?

No, you're right. Reinvent the wheel and throw on an OS made for mice and keyboards.

It's like these haters don't even realize what comes out of their mouth makes no sense and convinces no one. Strange.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Oh I see, so when Apple said Revolutionary they meant, affordable to the masses? Where exactly did Jobs give that definition? Is this something they're selling in Africa for a dollar or what? I think you're making up definitions now, and that control panel wasn't made by Apple, and the masses aren't interested in that control panel either. Real world ding ding.

Dude, Steve Jobs is a lot of things, but the arbiter of history he is not. When I talk about "revolutionary products," I'm talking from the view of historians. I'm talking about how the Model T allowed anyone to afford a car, how the telephone allowed anyone to communicate in their house to someone across the country vs. having to travel to Western Union to send a telegram or telegraph. That is what revolutionary products do.

The masses may not be interested in a control panel, but again its given as one example of an expensive piece of equipment that is now affordable to, say, someone who wants to start a live production business without mortgaging the house. Or maybe even a high school student who just want to muck around with video production -- you know kinda like Woz use to do with Radio Shack parts in his homebrew electronics club. Revolutions change society, not just one person's life.

My post isn't just about the control panel (again the trees for the forest problem you have), it's about how developers are using the iPad as a canvas to give people, via inexpensive apps, opportunities and capabilities previously unaffordable.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
So in short. If the iPad is missing a functionality, it's because (and these reasons I've listed from the posts in this thread)

You're arrogant
You're a hater
You suck
You fail at logic
You can't see the forest for the trees
You lack imagination

Award winning fanboyism. Couldn't have exposed it better :D

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
So in short. If the iPad is missing a functionality, it's because (and these reasons I've listed from the posts in this thread)

You're arrogant
You're a hater
You suck
You fail at logic
You can't see the forest for the trees
You lack imagination

Award winning fanboyism. Couldn't have exposed it better :D

Uh no. Fanboyism is supporting a product that is clearly dreck. If you are going to say the iPad is dreck then you have to say the same for every other device running iPhone OS. Now there is a report in today's Wall Street Journal how iPhone ownership is rampant among Microsoft employees, much to Steve Ballmer's chagrin. I'm not sure I'd call Microsoft employees Apple "fanboys."

What I provided you is a solid rationale of why the iPad will be a revolutionary product. All you can reply back is "it doesn't work for me." The phone had plenty of detractors too in 1876 by people who were unsure how to get that device to work for them as well. I guess history will prove one of us right.

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
I don't know much about video production. Who would use this product? Could somebody describe a use case? (no, I'm not being secretly sarcastic, I'm just curious)

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
yet it's useless to my needs makes me 'arrogant' then.

Excellent response - - calm and well reasoned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.