Here we go again? AT&T LTE speeds in NYC are horrendous today!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by El3ctronics, Oct 19, 2012.

1. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

I'm hoping this is a temporary network issue but my LTE speeds in NYC today are horrendously bad (and no, I'm not throttled). I'm talking around 1 Mbps when it works and then many times where it won't even connect. I'm in the Soho area and have seen speeds get increasingly worse over the last month (as congestion increases) but today it's almost unusable. Anyone else having issues?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm not there today but they were fairly good* for me from Tuesday to Thursday this week all around the City Hall area. Maybe a temporary issue?

* "Fairly Good" meaning about 15 Mbps wherever I went.

3. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

15 Mbps would be fantastic in NYC. I haven't gotten speeds like that since about two weeks ago.

4. youssefm macrumors 6502

I'm getting 6.6 mpbs download and 1.58 upload. This is from my apartment though with limited service, not sure if I go out what it will be. When I first got it I was getting 15mbps though.

5. oplix Suspended

oplix

recorded 22mbps up and 17mbps down in midtown manhattan yesterday at 1:30pm

6. BiggAW macrumors 68020

You guys can actually see the speeds going down with the iCrowd coming onto the network? That's pretty pathetic on AT&T's part, beyond the normal losing the insane 71mbps speed tests that any 10x10 LTE network will get when it's brand new. Sounds like it's headed for the crapper just like HSPA+. And the question remains: why do you have AT&T in NYC? Verizon is so much better down there. If I lived there or went there often, I'd have Verizon for sure.

7. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

[​IMG]

Tell me again about your 'slow' LTE while me and my sad i5 sit in "4G" land. ;)

8. costa91 macrumors newbie

You are so lucky to have 4G :D
    In Italy we must wait for at least one year.
    Here , sometimes, we have your same problem, but with 3G covering:(

9. albertsw macrumors regular

I get about 8Mbps downtown but It used to be about 15-18Mbps on the iPhone 5 launch day and a few days after but it has been dropping speed fast.

10. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

When I used to visit NYC I could barely get a megabit on my AT&T iPhone 4, and that was on good days. Often I couldn't even get a tweet out.

So if you're getting even 2-3 megabits with LTE, this is a huge massive improvement to what the situation was with 3G!

11. albertsw macrumors regular

Yeah it was like that on my iphone 4 also. I bet we will be down to 2-3Mbps pretty soon anyway.

12. bushman4 macrumors 68000

13. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

Just a quick update. I used the AT&T mar the spot app and it actually told me there were network issues in the soho area today. Speeds are back to what they normally are now.

14. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

15. AFDoc macrumors 68030

When I see people complaining about their slow LTE speeds I just laugh..... Better than my LTE speeds here in Colorado with AT&T! I would love to have your slow LTE speeds!

16. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

This has always been a problem in NYC. It was the same with 3G, and the same with EDGE. You'd think AT&T would do something about it but if it "usually works" in "most areas" I think that's good enough for them.

17. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

NYC is a very, VERY tricky area when it comes to RF engineering. NONE of the major telecom providers can get it 100% right. You have thousands of buildings causing multipath reflections up the wazoo. You have tens of thousands of interference sources ranging from badly maintained car ignition systems to traffic light controllers. And on top of all that, you have millions of users in a really tiny space.

Based on what I've heard from friends, Verizon does the best job, but is still iffy in many places. I remember when my Verizon using friend couldn't even send a bloody text message from Central Park.

I'm not an RF engineer, but I've studied it enough to know what a hassle it is. It's not the simple and easy "Just put up a big tall cel tower here and there" solution that you have in the suburbs. Hell, I've even seen cel antenna pods angled UPWARDS to provide service in skyscrapers!

18. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

So glad I switched to Verizon. at&T is useless

19. BiggAW macrumors 68020

You must have a horrendous router and wifi. I just tested 21351/3512 on a 12/2 Comcast connection with D2 (PowerBoost fakes it out). FIOS connections are what 50/20 or 75/35 now? You should be able to do a LOT better than that.

----------

I've always seen Verizon just cranking along in NYC, AT&T is a total mess.

Those are amusing. There's one a few blocks west of the Empire State. Somebody posted, maybe on Hofo, that those are largely Cingular builds, maybe Bell Atlantic Mobile got the interior repeaters/sites or something... There's another entertaining one in lower Manhattan, on the very eastern side to serve a single building.

20. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

By that he means LTE isn't there yet. The HSPA+ isn't too shabby though. Good enough to stream iTunes Match/Pandora without waiting and will handle Netflix easily.

21. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

it's not my router, this is what the FiOS base plan is for my triple play that i've had for ~ 4 years. 15Mbps down / 5 Mbps up

if i pay more, i could get higher speeds.

22. Jades macrumors 6502

For some very very very odd reason, AT&T LTE is working so much better for me than Verizon does. This is throughout the 5 boroughs of NYC.

I feel like Verizon is new to gsm and this might be the reason of my bad experience

Indoor coverage with Verizon LTE is horrible. Moreover, speeds during peak hours are very slow. I ran speed tests and got between 3-5 Mbps down in certain areas. This is embarrassing. AT&T gives me perfect LTE coverage indoors and speeds are 15-20 Mbps on overage, even in the middle of times square.

I hope Verizon steps up and does something about this. I'm wondering why no one else has complained about similar experiences

23. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Then you should be getting at least 15. And that's pathetic signing up for the base FIOS plan. The 50/25 plan is reasonable, and if you do double play the 75/35 is as well.

24. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

excuse me.....

paying $85/mo for TV, internet, and phone is already enough to shell out each month. why is it pathetic that i have the 15Mbps/5Mbps plan if that internet plan works for us?

watch your words

25. BiggAW macrumors 68020

You have access to some of the country's best broadband, and you have the cheapie plan that is slower than many cable modems?