Here we go again - more Koran burning

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by niuniu, Feb 21, 2012.

1. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Afghans outraged at US soldiers burning of Korans - they're reportedly throwing petrol bombs at a US military base over it. Guess pissing on corpses wasn't enough fun.

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16174068

2. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Throw in some bibles to even out the score. Call those soldiers brave and whatnot but they certainly are not bright or honorable.

3. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Probably not, as there is undoubtedly some local law against burning pieces of paper with particular scribbles on it. They should try as much as possible to obey the law of the land they are in. It looks like a mistake of some kind rather than an intentional burning but I doubt the locals will consider that in their madness.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I'm not really for or against burning garbage. As long as nothing in the heap was toxic.

7. iz2sick macrumors 6502

iz2sick

It's rather interesting to me that the burning of copies of ancient books causes more outrage than the pissing on corpses.

At least the troops didn't draw Mohammed.

8. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

You sound right there! I just hope that if someone does try and burn it again (in the West), there isn't the hullabaloo and bullying that went on last time to try and stop it.

9. Happybunny macrumors 68000

While I personally have no problems with this action.:cool:

But when you are trying to win the hearts and minds of these people, It can only be seen as a very dumb move:confused:

10. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

Me either. In fact, if all the Bibles, Korans, Torahs etc in the world spontaneously combusted my black little heart would be filled with joy.

But in the context of things in Afghanistan it's a pathetic joke. Bunch of cowboys.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Protests still raging. Anti-American. "No forgiveness for the desecrators of the Koran," a section of the crowd shouted. "Only death." People have now died due to the protest.

Clearly these are peaceful people of a peaceful religion. We should leave quickly so that they can focus on killin... I mean singing with eachother.

12. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Personally, I'd like to see the military stand there with loaded guns, a pile of Korans drenched with gasoline, and suggest to the protesters that we don't like it when they burn our flag or effigies of our president. We won't light the match so long as they don't either.

Perhaps a truce where both sides stop burning things. Maybe we both try to understand the other and get along instead of freaking out over stupid stuff.

13. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

If you're brought up in a society to believe that a Koran is a sacred holy book. Is that 'stupid stuff' to you?

Of course not. But I am glad you posted that, because this is exactly why we can't have certain types of people put into tough diplomatic situations. They simply don't understand what they're dealing with. To them it's just 'stupid stuff' and that leads to these sorts of mistakes, prolonging and heightening problems in the world.

14. MadeTheSwitch, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012

MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Well, in reality it is "stupid stuff". It's merely a book. Their idolatry of it in no way changes the fact that it was some book mass produced at some factory on some printing press by some company somewhere.

I learned today that they have some rules for it. Before you use it, you must wash your hands, your arms, your face three times (why three I do not know) and even your feet (not sure how your feet could come in contact with the book...but, um...okay). It must be stored in the highest place in a room and you cannot point your feet at it.

These are the superstitions of an uneducated people long ago that have been carried forward into the present. The book would have come off a dirty ink-filled printing press. It's highly unlikely that a higher power would care if your feet were washed while reading it or which way your toes were pointed.

This is what unquestioned and unchallenged religion does to people.

15. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

Educated people are superstitious as well and follow religion, including nearly every world leader. What makes their religion worth any more or less than anything out of Christianity?

16. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I recognize that they see the Koran as something far more than "stupid stuff," but just like they see the Koran as something very special, there are many people in this country who are offended by things they do to provoke them.

It is obvious to anyone or any country trying to take the high road and trying to make peace that you shouldn't intentionally antagonize people, and taking into account their customs and religion is very important, but they are rioting over what was probably at best an innocent mistake, and at worst, a gross miscalculation of the proper means for disposing of trash.

Keep in mind that in our culture the respectful way to dispose of the flag is to burn it. A soldire may not have recognized that this means of disposal was improper, or disrespectful.

My point is that they are over-reacting, and someone might want to point that out.

17. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

They will punish their own by death for desecrating a Koran or mocking their prophet. Surely any country going into Afghanistan (or any other Islamic theocratic regime) would be well rehearsed in the most important customs.

Or are you saying that Americans should be able to operate outside or local laws or customs? It's hard to describe this as anything like an over-reaction when these people are protesting against an invading force who have been caught pissing on their dead countrymen and desecrating the most sacred thing in their lives...

18. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I'm saying that rioting and killing people is an overreaction. Period. As for the rest, there is no excuse for the disrespect, but it isn't worth rioting and killing.

If this was about the invasion/occupation, then that is a different story, but it is about disrespect to the Koran, and their religion.

19. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

Did the wrongdoers get murdered? No. Though what they done is punishable by death in many regions. So if the wrongdoers aren't getting killed or even punished. It seems like there's an under-reaction if anything.

I can't blame them for rioting - it must be frustrating being powerless to enforce your own local laws and customs on foreigners. People in the West protest, riot and kill for much less than the conviction these people hold for their beliefs. Especially when they feel powerless to hold the higher echelons of society to account. Greece/England riots recent examples.

It's a hostile and volatile situation escalated by one of the most heinous acts you can commit in that part of the world.

20. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Landfill.

22. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

Seriously? I mean, to me that is reasonable. Better if they were recycled. I guess what I am getting at is books wear out. They must have some kind of acceptable method for disposing of them.

23. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

Any method is fine as long as it's done respectfully. You can burn it, bury, put it at the bottom of a river. But it should be done ritualistically and respectfully, ie not thrown out en masse partly burned by a 'non-believer' :p

Somethin I read mentioned that if you must dispose of a Koran it should be treated akin to a human funeral..

24. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

But it is a book made by regular people. Why treat it like (or better than) a person? I understand not tolerating intentional desecration but to riot if one were accidentally burned is just... well, insane.

25. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

There's wide disagreement about the proper disposal of a Koran. As far back as that 17th century, scholars debated the merit of burning, burying, or simply storing a worn out Koran.

Among the Taliban, they prohibited the sale of paper bags because of the possibility that such bags would contain recycled paper from a Koran. Keep in mind that Afghanistan is largely an illiterate society, which I think makes books, even in complete disrepair, seem invaluable and rare.

Additionally, I think it's the difference between an American burning a US flag in a ceremony because its beyond repair, and a Afghani burning the US flag during a demonstration. Both methods involve fire, but the second is disrespectful.

Context is key.

Rioting is excusable, but at this point, this issue may be displaced anger about the war and the occupation and the burning of the Koran is just an excuse.