Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Absolutely ridiculous. I seriously feel like throwing my macbook out the window right now. Apple is being anti competitive and its not right. The galaxy nexus is not a copied product.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
Very stupid move by Apple as Samsung makes the A5 chip and is making or has made the A6 chip for the new iPhone. Good luck with that now Apple. Screwing the company you are depending on for the heart of your best selling product is insanely stupid.

Broph

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
New Zealand
Very stupid move by Apple as Samsung makes the A5 chip and is making or has made the A6 chip for the new iPhone. Good luck with that now Apple. Screwing the company you are depending on for the heart of your best selling product is insanely stupid.

Samsung would get ridiculous amounts of money for producing the A5 chips etc.... Samsung would be stupid to stop making the chips.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Samsung is a business. As long as Apple keeps paying them they will keep making things for Apple.

I'm waiting for Google to really start throwing their weight around with its Motorola patent portfolio and even their own patents, obvious stuff like...

http://www.google.com/patents/US20090249247

This will probably get pretty messy sooner then later. I think Google is a sleeping giant at this point, but they will really start to defend the manufactures that use their OS before long,

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
You guys are so freaking obsessed with this stuff. Meanwhile execs from both companies are hanging out together in the Fiji islands living the life you only dreamed of. These back n forth law games are just average protocol.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Boo on apple.... Going down the drain... Save us STEVE. :mad:

??? Steve started all of this mess. He promised to go to thermonuclear war against Android. He even went as far as to promise to drain all of Apples $40BILLION(at the time) in cash to do so. *Grabs popcorn* this could get ugly!

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Anyone remember the first Apple iPhone keynote.

Jobs said the word patent 22 times. He made sure to emphasize the iPhone had 200 patents filed for it. He also said very firmly that Apple intended to defend those patents.

And people are shocked now why? Google should pay better attention next time.

Apple was never going to allow another Microsoft/Windows situation to happen without a fight.

TheBama

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Apple has to protect it's property. Companies keep promoting "iPhone killers" then use Apple's patents to make those competing products.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Apple has to protect it's property. Companies keep promoting "iPhone killers" then use Apple's patents to make those competing products.

The nexus didn't steal anything from apple. Apple is only suing because they are afraid of the competition. The galaxy siii is already set to break the iphones sales record.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Anyone remember the first Apple iPhone keynote.

Jobs said the word patent 22 times. He made sure to emphasize the iPhone had 200 patents filed for it. He also said very firmly that Apple intended to defend those patents.

And people are shocked now why? Google should pay better attention next time.

Apple was never going to allow another Microsoft/Windows situation to happen without a fight.

Even more so, Steve Jobs received thunderous applause after making such statements. No one expected anything different. It's funny how the tables have turned.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I just saw this article, and it made me shake my head. This whole "block competitors products" thing Apple had been doing as of late is really sad, and getting ridiculous. Of course, they won't ever get bad press for it because Apple is always in the right light in the media. Only the tech news followers like us will know about it. They halted the HTC One X and One S, tried to get the Galaxy Tab 10.1, and now they have gotten the Galaxy Nexus. I can understand wanting to protect your intellectual property but come on Apple, these products are not really miles ahead of the iPhone. What are you afraid of? I love Apple products and have used an iPhone for the past 4 years but man...

I am really glad I just ordered my unlocked Galaxy Nexus the other day, and it has already shipped. If I went order one and it got halted or something I would be pissed.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
That's small potatoes.

http://www.intomobile.com/2012/01/2...it-against-apple-citing-patent-infringements/

When Google gets a hold of Motorola, Apple will be in a world of hurt. Motorola has patents on everything since they've been in the business so long. Keep in mind they were marketing a cell phones nearly 30 years ago, its prototype is nearly 40 years old. Neil Armstrong's "one small step for man" was over Motorola radios. If it can transmit sound its more then likely infringing on a Motorola patent.

No galaxy nexus sales is a small annoyance for Samsung amongst their line up. Think no iPhone sales will effect Apple? Obviously a settlement or royalties will happen before that but just saying.

Its fine to want to protect your investment I understand that. But to sue everyone while you are stealing a hundred ideas yourself is a little silly...

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.

The four patents in question are as trivial as it gets. The fact that Apple received those patents speaks volumes about how broken your American patent system is. People have been implementing "methods to identify a phone number in a text" for decades now - and Apple could get a patent for that? Really? And a patent for "slide to unlock". That's patent-worthy? You've got to be kidding me. An auto-correct function. As Nokia's phones had it more than a decade before Apple even decided to build a phone? And a "means to search multiple databases"? Wow. Amazing. I'm glad that Apple "invented" this, just imagine all those IBM mainframes in the 1960s that could not search through multiple databases... Oh, no. They could. It seems that those programmers at IBM infringed on Apple's patents decades before the patent was granted to Apple.

----------

Its fine to want to protect your investment I understand that. But to sue everyone while you are stealing a hundred ideas yourself is a little silly...

But that's what unfaithful and jealous people always do...

depths

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Google has responded:

" We're disappointed with this decision, but we believe the correct result will be reached as more evidence comes to light - Google spokesperson"

and from Apple

" It's no coincidence that Samsung's latest products look a lot like the iPhone and iPad, from the shape of the hardware to the user interface and even the packaging. This kind of blatant copying is wrong and, as we've said many times before, we need to protect Apple's intellectual property when companies steal our ideas."

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/29/3126934/apple-samsung-judge-bans-galaxy-nexus

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Can I copy your checkbook?

Yes, this is exactly the same as Android using a slide to unlock as Apple did :rolleyes:

Samsung made copycats. Apple sued Samsung. You blames Apple??? WTF. :mad:

Its OK, Apple already lot the last judgement. Not like they didnt copy anything on their way to making the iPhone. I dont see why anyone could be happy about this. Do Apple fans really NOT want compitition to help make their devices better?

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
It's no coincidence that Samsung's latest products look a lot like the iPhone and iPad, from the shape of the hardware to the user interface and even the packaging. This kind of blatant copying is wrong and, as we've said many times before, we need to protect Apple's intellectual property when companies steal our ideas.

The Galaxy Nexus looks nothing like the iPhone - not in any way, shape, or form, not in software or hardware. Same applies to the SGS3.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
and from Apple

" It's no coincidence that Samsung's latest products look a lot like the iPhone and iPad, from the shape of the hardware to the user interface and even the packaging. This kind of blatant copying is wrong and, as we've said many times before, we need to protect Apple's intellectual property when companies steal our ideas."

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/29/3126934/apple-samsung-judge-bans-galaxy-nexus

I am a huge Apple fan but they're clearly in the wrong here. They act like the iPhone was the first smart phone to look the way it did, they copied Prada. Then they blatantly stole androids notification system in the last iOS update. As mentioned before the patents that Motorola holds can put Apple in a world of hurt and stop the iPhone 5 sales. Apple will be pretty screwed then

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
Its OK, Apple already lot the last judgement. Not like they didnt copy anything on their way to making the iPhone. I dont see why anyone could be happy about this. Do Apple fans really NOT want compitition to help make their devices better?

lol.... The images are too big but it's the truth. Samsung deserves the preliminary injunctions.

TmUj2.jpg

Honza

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2011
SF Bay Area
I don't understand why people think Apple is so bad. It's not Apple's fault. The way the patent system and legal system is set up, everyone sues everyone in the tech world over everything. Because we live in a capitalistic society, if you arent playing the game, youre going to be quickly overrun by those who do. Apple is just being a business just like everyone else. If you can get an advantage through patents, then by all means do so if it is within your legal rights. Plenty of companies have sued Apple, so theyre not the only ones.

I dont think the system is fair, nor is it good for innovation, but I dont blame Apple for being self-interested. Nor do I blame companies for having excellent tax accountants that help them save millions of dollars in taxes.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Why do I get the feeling Google is a sleeping giant right now that Apple is playing fire with??? The patents they hold especially with Motorola could put Apple in a world of hurt. Wonder if Google is waiting for the release of the next iPhone, could get interesting. Funny how Apple didn't really care before, but it's obvious now their threatened by the competition b/c disregarding software there are phones now directly challenging them in sales numbers and not as a group/Android phones as a whole, but single phones like the GSII did etc, even the GS3 numbers look to break all records.

The other problem like has been mentioned is to do with our archaic patent system, look at the patents for the suit (and not just them but in general, the patent system needs a complete overhaul and is so outdated)... what a joke, for one thing the slide to unlock is not even similar on Android let alone the multiple features that you can set it up for (direct to phone, cam, whatever). In a way though you can't blame Apple as their playing by the rules that allow them to do this, just business. But if there's one company that has the assets to challenge them or flip the script on Apple, it's Google.... who knows what will happen, or how this will play out, but think for a sec if Google decides to wait for the perfect time to counter back??

Last edited:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
lol.... The images are too big but it's the truth. Samsung deserves the preliminary injunctions.

:rolleyes: My Samsung uses none of those things that your showing except for icons.

What are you going to do about the icons? And do we really care what kind of box it comes in? How many even save those? Should Nike sue Reebok because they use the same shaped box and put their shoes in it the same way?
Apple is the only one that uses that connector. Everyone else uses a micro plug. So can everybody sue Apple when they switch to it?

Whaaaaa...you stole my box, slide to unlock and use icons. Hey wouldnt it be cool if they all sued each other and NO phones can be made or delivered? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.