Heres a question: Has anyone thought about REPLACEMENT costs of new 1 piece body?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marclapierre13, Oct 14, 2008.

1. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

OK, i dont think any one has brought this up, but do you realize how expensive it is going to be to replace this new one piece aluminum body?
    With the old MB and MBP, you can replace the bottom, or top, or trackpad/keyboard top, or screen bezel, etc. Now you cant...

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Apple probably has the same special tool to replace the screen bezel like they have with the iMac.

If you needed to replace the palm rest for whatever reason, you'd need like an entire new case.

And since I can't be bothered reading the other threads for this...there is now HEAPS of glass. So instead of dents and scratches, you get cracks?

3. marclapierre13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

Good point.
    Im sure you are right about the screen. But as far as the body goes, if you get a dent on the bottom corners or something, you are going to pay a heck of a lot to replace it.
    But they CLAIM it is more durable.

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Nothing is "more durable" when it comes to a bunch of collage kids with MacBookPro's in their book-bag alongside a whole load of carelessness, teenage adrenaline, foolishness and alcoholism...

Then again... didn't someone on those forums brought a brand new MacBookAir only to drop it within a week? :eek:

"Unibody" housings just means it's made from one chunk of metal, it'll still break, dent and deform with the correct environment. We're talking aluminium here... it's light and soft, though not quite soft like lead.

Personally.. I'm thinking and wondering about how I'd attach a Cintiq 21ux tablet to the new MacBookPro, with it's micro-ised video connector

5. jasonrm macrumors member

jasonrm

I completely understand the concern, but at least in my case, with a PowerBook G4 12" with a dented up corners, the cost of replacing the various parts I needed was pretty high. When all said and done I don't think I'd get out the door for less than $400... on a 4+ year old machine, not worth it.

My hope, as one who has ordered a new MBP today, in the nightmare scenario that I drop in in similar manners I would dent and damage the corners maybe the same, but the plastic bezel is not breaking apart on my 12" PB, so despite the dents the new style might get, I think it will fare better overall, and handle those very horrid events much better.

That is my hope... I'll be sure to cry if not ;)