Heres how Apple got their battery times

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/battery.html

An interesting read. Some things of note;

Internet Use over 3G Tests
Testing conducted by Apple in August 2012 using pre-production iPhone 5 units and software, on both GSM and CDMA carrier networks. Internet over 3G tests were conducted over a 3G network using a dedicated web server. iPhone 5 browsed snapshot versions of 20 popular web pages and received mail once an hour. All settings were default except: the Wi-Fi feature Ask to Join Networks and Auto-Brightness were turned off.
Remember, those super duper battery times are always based on brightness at its lowest and always connecting to a full signal in a test lab. They are not real world times.

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010
Anandtech already got 8 hours + of browsing on LTE. They set the brightness to 200 nits.

Abazigal

macrumors G5
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/battery.html

An interesting read. Some things of note;

Remember, those super duper battery times are always based on brightness at its lowest and always connecting to a full signal in a test lab. They are not real world times.
Name me one company whose reported times actually come close to 'real world' times. Apple is actually considered pretty good in this regard. :)

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
I've been getting very good battery times thus far. The first day I got it I pretty much spent the entire day browsing/downloading apps/iMessage/etc. on LTE. I was at just under 7 hours of usage once it got down to about 10% that day. I have no doubt I could get a legit 8 hours browsing/data usage if I had a rock solid LTE signal all day.

I don't know how Apple did it but I'm very impressed. They deserve big kudos for delivering great LTE times after having held off on it about a year longer than everybody was clamoring for.