Here's how to get last "good" iWorks versions when all you have are DVDs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by talmy, Oct 24, 2013.

1. talmy, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

talmy macrumors 601

talmy

The DVD versions must be installed from disk and cannot be installed by simply copying the .app file/package like the App Store versions can. Thus to be future-proof it's much better to archive the App Store versions.

The process takes two Macs (or a Mac with a second external system drive), one running Mavericks and the other running Mountain Lion (or earlier, ML preferred).

1. Install the new iWork apps on the Mavericks system as described by others. Don't worry as the old good versions are still there! When you do this these apps are automatically added as purchases in the App Store.

1a. This process also works for DVD Aperture, however the new Aperture isn't de-featured and you don't really need to archive the old one. The process doesn't work for iLife apps

2. Go to the Mountain Lion system (or boot to Mountain Lion). Go to the App Store. The iLife apps will appear as purchases. Download them -- a popup window will tell you you can't install the latest version, but will offer to install the most recent version that will run on the system.

3. Archive the apps it downloads. You can use these to install (by copying to /Applications) the apps later if you need them!

This doesn't work with the iLife Apps, as far as I can tell.

2. Bruno09, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

Bruno09 macrumors 68020

I didn't need to install the iLife applications on my Mavericks drive : I just copied iPhoto (9.4.3) and iMovie (9.0.9) to the /Applications folder in Mavericks.
    This is because I do not have an iLife DVD.

I installed iWork09 from the DVD (not sure if this was necessary or if copying the apps would have suffice, so I preferred to use the DVD).

Then I when to the App Store from the Mavericks disk (didn't need to go from my ML drive) and got the new iPhoto, iMovie, Pages, Numbers, Keynote as updates, for free.

The "old" iMovie is turned into an iMovie 9.0.9 folder :
    [​IMG]

I no longer remember if the "old" iPhoto has been replaced or if I trashed it...

The "old" iWork09 Applications still are in the iWork09 Folder in /Applications.

[​IMG]

3. talmy thread starter macrumors 601

talmy

Copying doesn't suffice, which is why I posted how to obtain the App Store version, for which copying suffices.

The technique should work for iLife apps bought on DVD as well, but at the moment I haven't figured out how. It looks like I may have to delete the DVD-installed app first. I want to tread carefully on this!