Here's one way the Swiss watch makers plan to handle the Apple Watch.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Tom G., Aug 3, 2015.

1. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

According to "The Next Web News" Swiss watchmaker Nico Gerard is planning to come out with a watch that incorporates an Apple Watch. The watch, called the Pinnacle, has a Nico Gerard watch on one side and an Apple Watch on the other.

This is one way to face up to the challenge of your competition, incorporate their products into your own.

You only have to wait 10 to 12 months to lay your hands on one of these beauties, which will give you some time to save up enough to get one, as they are $9,300.00 US dollars and you can preorder now for only $200.00.

You can see it at:

www.nicogerard.com

2. iBighouse macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

I've seen people who wear an apple watch on one arm and a mechanical on the other...here's a twist on that- a watch that is BOTH mechanical AND and Apple watch...the Edition actually.

It can be all yours for only $112,000. Better hurry though, they're only making 88 of them.

https://www.nicogerard.com/nico-gerard-sunrise-pinnacle

0000308_sunrise-pinnacle-reservation_300.jpeg

3. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Well...I guess if you live long enough you actually will see everything. That is about the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Better than looking like a tool from double wristing them the normal way.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's funny. They're using the $17,000 Edition (with the red-capped crown) just to match the red face.

6. TJone macrumors 6502a

It would be difficult not to look like a tool with that or even a stainless steel version. And it would get bothersome quickly to have to explain why you need 2 watches. It looks well designed but I just can't see anyone wearing that.

7. xotigu macrumors member

8. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

I guess my only qualm with your thread title and this assertion is, I don't think mechanical makers really consider the AW their "competition". I don't think they are having brainstorming sessions to "handle" the AW. There will always be a market for nice, even cheap, mechanicals, and another for smart watches. Pebble, Android Wear, FitBit, sure, they have some thinking to do. Mechanical makers? Not so much IMO. Anyone else is just looking for a hook, a spork that might catch on, if you will. History is replete with them. And I say this as someone who has worn his SS 42 since release day.

9. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

AW will succeed is not because watch itself. It is because 100s/1000s/10000s watchOS app will come in the future, specially when native 3rd party OS in watch start support. Just like iPhone or iPad. They are secceed because mostly apps.

Without good app, and lots of different app for different people with different need, specific design for the device in this case watch, it will just be another paper weight or another good watch to look at but can't function for all the need at all.

10. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

There's plenty of room in the market place for Apple Watch plus each and every Swiss Timepiece. Both have their proponents some of which enjoy both types of watch. Although by the very nature of Apple Watch Functionality and vast capabilities far removed from time keeping, the AW has no peer.

The same could be said about the ultra luxury, highly ornate, precisely hand crafted, truly limited to one-off authentic museum quality horological works of art. Sold largely to those who live in a price is no object world, each has its place.

11. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Guess who's not a Swiss watch maker. Nico Gerard.

12. jltj macrumors member

I would like a watch that doesn't have a band, just a whole series different types of watches (Android, Pebble, Tizen, etc) connected together. Make me one, Nico!

13. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Am I the only one who's thought that the magnets in the back of the AW would be bad* for a mechanical watch?

*this is, of course, not counting watches like the Rolex Milgauss, Swatch Sistem51, or Omega's ongoing transition to fully antimagnetic movements.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Aren't they too far apart to have an effect?

15. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

It's not really a watch they're making. It's two very short bracelet sections with different lugs at each end.

16. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

Gruber nailed it. It's like hitching an automobile to a horse.

17. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Not when the watch is taken off and laying somewhere.

I'm pretty sure the little magnets are right under the spec limit for common mechanical movements, but I'd rather not deal with the consequences, even if it could be solved with a $20 eBay demagnetizer.

18. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

19. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Besides, there's nothing stopping anyone else from making a dual bracelet for fifty bucks.

20. srshaw macrumors 6502

That is quite the most hideous thing I have ever seen. Bargain at $112000 dollars. And there was a debate as to whether people would fork out for the edition.