Here's the perfect HDMI cable to go with your new Macbook Pro

Ghost31

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2015
I fear this will give apple ideas. I mean...they're already hoping to be a billion dollar business just off of dongles alone

Marshall73

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2015
I know someone who would actually buy that. Had the whole 'it's a digital signal' conversation with them before and they still spent hundreds on an hdmi cable. Pmsl.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
For those of you who think that there's no end price for 'premium' quality and Apple can just continue raising prices, here's the perfect HDMI cable for you:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/audioqu...le-dark-gray-black/2383276.p?id=1218324437192

Remember, it's premium quality
While that is a crazy high price, once you get into high end audio/video equipment cables really do matter.

Anything pretty much under $50 gives me handshake issues, issues with color, or flat out no picture. Never had the problem until a few years ago, and was like many others that expensive cables were a waste.

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Jun 10, 2006
Some of the comments are pretty funny.
"I first heard about this product from a friend. I was very impressed by the quality of the diamonds. It really catches your eye and the attention of everyone that goes by his house. His diamond necklace is unbelievable. Definitely a chick magnet."

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Maybe for analog signal (but even then its questionable), but certainly not digital. Unless your cable is just defective.
I tried 3 or 4 different cables with my set up and none worked. I actually thought the unit was defective. Bought a little more pricey cable and everything worked. Those other cables all worked and still do on other set ups.

Once you have more than a device connected directly to a TV, and longer than 6' cables, it definitely matters.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
I tried 3 or 4 different cables with my set up and none worked. I actually thought the unit was defective. Bought a little more pricey cable and everything worked. Those other cables all worked and still do on other set ups.

Once you have more than a device connected directly to a TV, and longer than 6' cables, it definitely matters.
Your low cost hdmi cables may have been low bandwidth. There's only 4 types of hdmi: Low bandwidth (or standard), high speed hdmi cable, and hdmi with Ethernet (Both high and low). Standard hdmi has issues with 1080p and above, and will do exactly what you say your cables did.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Your low cost hdmi cables may have been low bandwidth. There's only 4 types of hdmi: Low bandwidth (or standard), high speed hdmi cable, and hdmi with Ethernet (Both high and low). Standard hdmi has issues with 1080p and above, and will do exactly what you say your cables did.
They were 18gbps cables and rated for 4K

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

I have half a dozen devices connected to my receiver, which is connected to my TV. I use Amazon basics HDMI v1.4 cables, between 3 and 10 feet depending on the device, and everything works fine. Several thousand good reviews seem to back up my experience.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I have half a dozen devices connected to my receiver, which is connected to my TV. I use Amazon basics HDMI v1.4 cables, between 3 and 10 feet depending on the device, and everything works fine. Several thousand good reviews seem to back up my experience.
I never had an issue until 4K HDR receivers and devices.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
They were 18gbps cables and rated for 4K
I have a 65" lg 4k oled. I've had high speed ones give me issues before (Thankfully the ones that came my ps4 and xbox one s have 0 issues). I find if you spend anything extra, get gold plated ones, but you really don't need to spend $50+

It also helps to get as small a cable as you can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.