Here's the story about Palin's book-banning try as mayor

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Another good article from McClatchy.

Interesting, no? By my lights, even though she didn't actually ban any books (and that may have been only because of the public reaction), the fact that she raised the issue at all is very disturbing. The fact that she tried to frame the whole issue as a test of who was following "administrative agendas" is even more disturbing. And the fact that Palin tried to fire Emmons is the most disturbing of all.

This woman doesn't belong in the Alaska governorship, much less Washington.

2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

What I get from this story is that Palin is someone so insecure in her role that she needs to surround herself with people whose livelihoods depend entirely on her. If you get them by the balls and what not.

What I would really like to know is the titles of the books she wanted removed from the library.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't worry, if she becomes VP I'm quite sure everyone will go through a test of loyalty -- along with submitting a signed and undated letter of resignation.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

The worse thing about this VP pick is, even if McCain loses in September, she's going to run in 2012.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Even so, that's still 4 more years worth of knowledge about the woman that we don't have now.

6. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I predict that Palin's star is going to shine brightly, but quickly, and she will soon be returning to the relative obscurity she enjoyed up until this time last week.

At least I hope so, because the thought of her anywhere near the White House absolutely terrifies me.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Loyalty tests? That's twisted. And oh-so-petty.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Apparently.

Thanks for posting this, because I was wondering what this book banning was all about and it looks to be about nothing.

9. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

There's a lot of trash in most libraries. It's hard to find a good book anymore. I have to resort mostly to old books, back when people knew what a good book was.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Good lord- what are you? 90? Is there no good music either? Let me guess...

Did you even read the article? Or do you think this type of behavior is OK?

11. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

to me this is worse than 'troopergate' the lie over 'bridge to nowhere' the 'sold it for profit on ebay' crap, the 'eye-raq is a task from god' speech and the countless other stories that are coming at about palin.

banning (censoring) books in a public library is the act of the country that she is an 'expert' on because she lives so close to it or the act of the chappy with the funny little mustache.

12. bartelby macrumors Core

Surely even the idea of someone wanting to ban books is wrong to you?
    What books they were or whether they were banned or not is irrelevant.

13. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

nazi-book-burning-1933.jpg
    Because there's nothing wrong with banning books.

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Yes I did, did you?

Actually the fact that no books were banned is relevant because what your claiming DIDN'T happen. They can't even confirm the communications with the librarian with anything other than hearsay.
    I hardly see anything here about the Obama/Rezko scandal which actually has more teeth because something ACTUALLY happened. You guys don't seem to be the slightest bit upset about that one.

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Do you know the difference between banning and burning? Both are bad but there is an enormous difference.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And who the hell is she to decide what's trash and what's not?

17. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

obeygiant, surely you can't believe it's okay for the government to say what you can and can't read.

Why do you think it's an excuse that she didn't get any books banned and ultimately failed to get the librarian fired? She tried.

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Of course not.
    With the tirade of truth AND lies flying around its well within normalcy to be skeptical when it comes to stories like this. The librarian can't be reached for comment and there is no paper trail.

Time Magazine

Even the list of books she supposedly wanted banned has come up fake:
    Librarian.net

So this story, with a source who cannot be reached, and a fake book list, would it be enough for you to convict Barack Obama of such a crime. Probably not. With that said let me say that I like Obama and I think he is going to win the election, but some sense of neutrality must be maintained in order to decipher truth from smear.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

OG- whether or not any books were banned is beside the point. Threats were made, that much we DO know from the article. Palin tried to have the librarian fired and had used the book banning comment as a "loyalty test". That is seriously messed up and shouldn't be tolerated in a leader. You should find that extremely disturbing.

20. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Yes I do know the difference, and I offer no apology for posting such a provocative image.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And that's an excuse? When did you become to arbiter of what people should be reading?

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

"And get off my lawn!"

There are dozens of good books out every month, novels and histories, books of poetry, science essays. I've read three good books this week, if you can't find them at your local library, maybe you have a crappy library.

Yep, this story still leaves a lot to be desired. It's disturbing and it's definitely worth digging into, but I don't see enough here beyond the original accusation and the open letter by Anne Kilkenny.

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Are you saying this is untrue, because it's not the only story like it.

You have got to be kidding me. You can't honestly believe that. If a Dem was doing this, you'd be screaming about censorship. Difference being, we would all be agreeing with you and still condemning them. If this is your only excuse, you have nothing.

Not for lack of trying. As said, I'm scared she even tried. But I guess you're saying you don't believe it. Which I don't get, because the only thing we don't seem to be sure of is if any actually were banned. Apparently none were. It's been reported several places that she did, in fact, try. Couple that with other things, like trying to fire her Sister's ex and threatening the person who wouldn't fire him, seems to paint a not so rosy picture. But then, we don't really know much about her.

Well for 1, it doesn't say anything about his policies or how he'd govern the way these types of things say about her. For 2, what's really the issue with that? Obama had nothing to do with Rezko's misdeeds. Any more than McCain did with Abramoff. Or Palin did with Stevens. Though with that one, they did actually work together.

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'd call Obama's connection to Rezko on par with McCain's relationship to the Keating Five and the S&L scandal, or his possible pressuring of Arizona AG Grant Woods when he was about to indict Fife Symington, or Jack Abramoff.

25. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

If it ever came out that Obama was looking into the possibility of banning books, I would immediately start supporting Bob Barr in protest. It really is amazing how accommodating Republicans' can be of their candidate's flaws. Let me ask you this Palin supporters: give me a couple hypothetical examples of wrongdoings that you would consider serious enough to loose your vote for the McCain-Palin ticket.