"Here's two light bulbs you didn't order. You owe us 21 bucks."

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Here, my friends, is today's WTF Moment:

It's kind of amazing that the PUCO let this get through, but I guess it shows you what companies will try to get away with if you let 'em. (Also makes me wonder how much the PUCO is in their pockets.)

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

We have all fluorescent lights here, not sure how energy efficient they are, but if the utility company sent me 2 bulbs and charged me $21 I would be irate.

3. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't know any utility regulatory commission that isn't in the utilities back pocket. They are supposed to protect the consumer but all they do is allow the utilities to do whatever they please.

5. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

It is 60 cents per month over three years; people are really getting their panties in a bunch over this? Who cares. If they had tacked it on as some obscure 60 cent service charge no one would have noticed. I'd install them and forget about it, there is no way I would notice 60 cents each month.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The charge should not be there to begin with is the problem.

7. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't care how spread-out the charge is, I don't want to pay $21.60 for two light bulbs that (the video segment showed) can be gotten at Target for $5.99. And I don't want my utility company telling me that I need to buy light bulbs from them.

8. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Buying anything other than power from the power company is about as good of an idea as buying from one of those rent-to-own places that ends up charging $1900 on a $800 TV.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This isn't about 60 cents. This is about the power company abusing their monopoly position to rape their customers.

As said, they are charging $21 for a $6 item. Let's say administering the program adds $2 per, so they're ripping off each customer to the tune of $13. How many millions of customers do they have?

10. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Well, being that energy companies are giant conglomerates backed by the US government to run regional monopolies, not much anyone can do. I suppose if they put together a class action something might be done, but let's face it, who's gonna sue over $22?

XCel is raising prices AGAIN here. It's like the 9th year in a row. Christ. I'm gonna have to start running off of a gasoline powered generator soon just to cut costs!

11. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Ya know, I normally think a lot of companies are rip-off artists. It just strikes me that we're seeing a new level of brazen lately.

Our office is next door to a Time Warner Cable payment center. We've been hearing customers complaining about getting bills for $180. For one month. For the package: cable, internet, phone.

How the hell could it get as high as $180? Well, they're telling people they'd been getting an introductory deal (true, from what I hear), and the price was now $140 a month, and oh, by the way, your deal actually ran out last month, so we added $40 for that month as well. That's $180.

Sooner or later you begin to feel that this is how the companies see you:

[​IMG]

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Time Warner is going to get worse when they try their crap tier bandwidth system out nationwide (assuming they do).