'Heroic' Detroit judge was wounded trying to protect family

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Mar 6, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://news.yahoo.com/federal-judge-shot-during-robbery-attempt-surgery-132238333.html

nothing scarier than a few thugs trying to enter your home, glad things turned out ok, seems it was a couple of youths that did this (speculation).

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

3. samiwas macrumors 65816

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's really a thread in search of a topic.

What are we supposed to discuss here?

We could always talk about the fact that someone without a firearm protected their home and family from gun wielding assailants, which goes against the popular pro gun meme of you either carry a gun or you're a victim.

We could talk about that.

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Well, if the heroic Judge had been carrying a gun while taking out the trash, he could have drawn it (either before or after being shot by the would-be burglars).

Of course, upon seeing this gun, its entirely possible that the burglars may have panicked, and shot the heroic Judge several times, instead of just once, in which case the heroic Judge would be dead.

Im still trying to work out how guns could have made this story better. But I'm quite sure there is an angle to be worked on here. Maybe its that Judge Berg was appointed by Barack Obama - hopefully someone will run with that. I smell conspiracy!

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

To be fair to the OP, he hasn't brought guns into the discussion. It is, a mystery as to what (if any) point he's trying to make, as he hasn't done anything more than to report that the incident occurred.

7. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

something i'd expect from someone who's never been to the city, or its surrounding regions.

8. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I have been there! During a Jazz conference two radio GMs were mugged in broad daylight downtown walking to local restart. The simple reason why the Jazz conference was moved to San Diego.

9. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Story title. Dude took a round instead of going inside. Detroit is a mess with high unemployment . Teens are stupid with nothing better to do

10. samiwas macrumors 65816

So, someone comes saying they want into your house, you say no, they shoot you, you're a hero? Uh, no. Not even close.

11. vrDrew macrumors 65816

He told his assailants they couldn't go into his house. And despite shooting him, they complied with his request.

If he'd dropped to his knees and begged for mercy, telling them "Go in there! Take my TV set! Rape my wife.. just please don't hurt me!" - I guess we'd accuse him of cowardice. So, him not doing that - rather the opposite in fact - does convey at least some elements of heroism.

That said, I think "hero" is probably one of the most overused words in our 21st century American lexicon.

12. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Thank you. Man did not cave in to the Demands from a couple of thugs

13. FieldingMellish Suspended

All I know about Detroit I learned from Robocop 1. And from that, I don't think I want to go there.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And this is a point for discussion?

15. samiwas macrumors 65816

Disagree. I mean, maybe there's more to the story, but simply not agreeing to let someone into your house does not convey heroism. If he had fought with the robbers to keep them out of his house, and said "you will kill me before you get to my family", and ends up scaring the robbers off, then he has some heroism.

They said "let us in". He said "no". They shot him and left. Not a hero.

Very much agreed.

He said no and they shot him. Not a hero. If that was the case, then nearly every victim of crime is a hero. Because I'm going to guess that most people don't just say "Yeah, sure, bro..come on in!"

Calling this guy a hero cheapens the word.

16. chown33 macrumors 604

The distinction between "courageous" and "heroic" has long been lost in general usage.

And "heroic" has fewer letters. This is signfct 4 hdlns & txts

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    u r my 4um hro.

18. chown33, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015

chown33 macrumors 604

ez pz