Hershey raising candy prices 8%

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Hershey is raising prices by 8%.
In the latest sign that inflation could be coming down the pike, the chocolate giant, which has a market cap of about $21 billion, is boosting prices in response to commodity prices.

The Fed's preferred measure of inflation — core PCE — excludes the cost of food and gas, but following last week's commentary from retailers about the state of the U.S. consumer, these price increases can squeeze budgets without showing up in official statistics.

http://www.businessinsider.com/hershey-raising-prices-july-15-2014-7

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors 604
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Very little Hershey's chocolate is sold here in the UK. Having tried it I think Cadbury's beats it hands down and Belgian chocolate is another level again. Raising the prices would have very little impact to imported chocolate I think.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Very little Hershey's chocolate is sold here in the UK..
The same factors that led Hershey's to increase their prices are inevitably going to cause UK chocolate makers to raise theirs too.

Basically the world price for cocoa butter, the ingredient that makes chocolate all silky and chocolately, has more than doubled over the past two years.

I agree with those who say Hershey's is yucky chocolate. But I'm afraid your delicious Flakes and Yorkies are going to cost a few more pence in the coming months.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Very little Hershey's chocolate is sold here in the UK. Having tried it I think Cadbury's beats it hands down and Belgian chocolate is another level again. Raising the prices would have very little impact to imported chocolate I think.
Hershey's was supposedly pretty awesome back in the day, until they cheaped it up.

I personally prefer Yorkie bars the most

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Doesn't really bother me. Ever since I discovered the Timtam, Hershey's, let alone M&M/Mars just doesn't cut it.

I'd take the Timtam, Coffee Crisps (Nestle Canada), Ferrero Rocher, or Toblerone over Hersheys and Mars, keeping in mind that none of this is in any excess.

BL.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Because your run of the mill American hates flavor
Speak for yourself sir:mad:. Ever tried Teuscher chocolates? They aren't loaded with preservatives so you have to consume them within a couple weeks of purchase. The only thing I don't like is that they're a bit sweet. House of Anvers is good too, but I don't know where to find them in the US.

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
I do like me some Cadbury (cream eggs and caramel covered in chocolate), but hard to beat the camp out with the kids and breaking out the goodies for a S'more.

----------

8%. ****, Hershey bars were 7¢ when I was a kid.
Yep...and we had to walk to school every day in the snow..uphill both ways :)... and we liked it.

Bad chocolate = Palmer.

Last edited:

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I do like me some Cadbury (cream eggs and caramel covered in chocolate), but hard to beat the camp out with the kids and breaking out the goodies for a S'more.

----------

Yep...and we had to walk to school every day in the snow..uphill both ways :)... and we liked it.

Bad chocolate = Palmer.

Yes eliminate Palmer and there will be more chocolate for the good guys.

Desertrat

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2003
Terlingua, Texas
Heh. For a nickel: Cokes, Hershey bars, chewing gum, coffee, newspapers and cigars. :) In 1950, a pack of Camels at a Walgreens was $0.18. Top-end hamburgers were $0.25. Gasoline $0.18.

Next time you go past the Echols Building, nod and say, "Thanks, Fed folks."

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
A couple of things are happening here.

First, there's a shortage of the bean driven by economics, a disease called frosty pod root, and shifts in the climate of the narrow band of places that the cocao trees grow.

Second, there's a rising demand for chocolate especially in Asia.

So, while it's easy to blame inflation, the big driver of this price change is classic economic pressures.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
Heh. For a nickel: Cokes, Hershey bars, chewing gum, coffee, newspapers and cigars. :) In 1950, a pack of Camels at a Walgreens was $0.18. Top-end hamburgers were $0.25. Gasoline $0.18.

Next time you go past the Echols Building, nod and say, "Thanks, Fed folks."
In 1950, minimum wage was $0.75hr.

Desertrat

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2003
Terlingua, Texas
Six bits an hour was a pretty good raise from the Depression-era ten cents.

Grocery stores could hire guys for a ten-hour day at 10 cents. Dust, sort cans, sweep floors. Sit down to rest, get fired--and one of ten guys waiting outside would move in for the job.

Guys would hang out at the courthouse steps, hoping for jury duty and the small amount of juror pay.

Outdoor grunt labor in 1940/1941 paid $1.25 a day.

In 1942, my grandfather became principal over four elementary schools in Austin, Texas. 37 years of experience, including superintendent of schools in Hereford until he moved to Austin in 1922. Taught math in high school until the appointment as principal. $285 per month.