He's Only Thinking About Their Ovaries

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Sep 29, 2013.

1. citizenzen Suspended

I sincerely hope the liberals in Saudi Arabia are able to counter this conservative, fundamentalist b.s. ...

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

See guys? Who says religion and science can't coexist?

3. citizenzen thread starter Suspended

Are there no doctors with enough courage to say, "Dude. Their ovaries will be just fine."?

Let's hear from some Saudi doctors.

Anyone?

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I read this earlier today. Unbelievable. Simply unbelievable.

;) Touché.

5. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Me. For a very long time in Europe, the Catholic Church was the only thing standing in between even more insanity, and what we evolved into today, the Catholic Church saved written language in Europe, developed the scientific method, built schools, library's, printing centers, university's, the lot. They reformed themselves for a period and made huge contributions to astronomy, and medical research.

Sure, they might suck today, but there was a time period when faith was important to preserve science. Today? Just a bunch of nutjobs.

Disclaimer: I am an Atheist.

6. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I'm not sure which is crazier: This, or the claim that magnets disprove homosexuality.

7. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

What? I've never heard that one! LOL

Hugh

8. citizenzen, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013

citizenzen thread starter Suspended

I've long argued against tarring the entire population of Muslims with the acts of their most extreme and criminal members. That doesn't mean, however, that I'll overlook the incredibly oppressive state that women live under in some of these nations.

I've also long said that eventually nations like Saudi Arabia will realize how economically wasteful it's been to not utilize half of its population. This is what I believe will eventually change the region—the understanding that to compete in the world they'll need the talents of both men and women. While they are making steps in the right direction, it's almost unbelievable to hear some of the opinions put forth, even by people who I'm sure consider themselves to be progressive.

Looking further into this issue I found an Arab news site in English and an article that touches on the subject of expanding women's role in the workplace. I've excerpted it below and included the two comments from Muslim readers that illustrates just how much more the country needs to to change.

[my comments in red]

There were two comments to the story. In the first, I can hear this person [a woman nonetheless] trying to put forth what is probably a pretty progressive opinion. Yet even so it's stunningly backward and mired in fundamentalist belief ...

And then this one, which speaks for itself ...

Oy. There is so much that needs to change.

9. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I'm speaking as a recovering Cathaholic.....

Do keep in mind that the things you mentioned do have their caveats when it came to church involvement. Also, keep in mind the wars that were started by the Catholic church (Crusades).

10. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Saudi Cleric, you're talking total nonsense. Go home.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The same applies to Islam. They saved all the knowledge found in Ancient Greece and Rome.

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Actually, testes are far more fragile than ovaries. They can be damaged not only by physical trauma, but by high temperatures.... Sounds like Saudi men should be more careful driving (and riding).

For the record: I walk and don't drive. Make of that what you will.