HEVC black icon previews, QuickLook works

AndreeOnline

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
Zürich
On a flashed Mac Pro 4.1 with a Vega Frontier Edition with all updates applied I'm experiencing:

Black icon previews for HEVC footage from Mavic 2 Pro in Finder. When Quick Looking (spacebar) video plays normally. But in FCPX, all preview are also rendered black.

In DaVinci Resolve files look and play back normally.

Other files work normally and I don't have other 'issues' with my computer. I have reinstalled FCPX but that didn't help.

I realise trying to pinpoint the actual issue here might quickly turn into a deep rabbit hole, but would anyone like to suggest a number of .plists or similar that I can try to delete that will be auto generated safely by MacOS?

Happy New Year,
A
Screenshot 2018-12-31 at 12.40.44.png
Screenshot 2018-12-31 at 12.41.00.png

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
make sure FCPX is up-to-date, or reinstall the app (backup everything first). saw something like this (with FX thumbnails) earlier in the year; was fixed in a later FCPX version (make sure the OS is up-to-date too)....

inputoutput

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2018
On a flashed Mac Pro 4.1 with a Vega Frontier Edition with all updates applied I'm experiencing:

Black icon previews for HEVC footage from Mavic 2 Pro in Finder. When Quick Looking (spacebar) video plays normally. But in FCPX, all preview are also rendered black.

In DaVinci Resolve files look and play back normally.

Other files work normally and I don't have other 'issues' with my computer. I have reinstalled FCPX but that didn't help.

I realise trying to pinpoint the actual issue here might quickly turn into a deep rabbit hole, but would anyone like to suggest a number of .plists or similar that I can try to delete that will be auto generated safely by MacOS?

Happy New Year,
A
View attachment 813376 View attachment 813377
I don't mean to hijack your thread but, i have a 3,1 mac pro i would like to get hevc working on. Are you getting hardware acceleration (decoding) with your setup or is the cpu doing the work? Thanks

AndreeOnline

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
Zürich
I don't mean to hijack your thread but, i have a 3,1 mac pro i would like to get hevc working on. Are you getting hardware acceleration (decoding) with your setup or is the cpu doing the work? Thanks
Playing a HEVC file does trigger something in my video card as the fans spin down and it goes quiet. But looking at CPU usage it's around 5-7% and the graphics card also barely registers as being under load in Activity Monitor. This is with 4K HEVC clips. They play smoothly here with no real effort.