Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Or should I use a domain specific email?

What are your thoughts on this?

scottness

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2009
Room 101
Why not use your gmail to access your domain specific email via Google Apps? I've been doing that for a few years now and don't have any reason to change it. Check out, it's free.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Why not use your gmail to access your domain specific email via Google Apps? I've been doing that for a few years now and don't have any reason to change it. Check out, it's free.

I'm not talking about accessing it, but more for like business contact, like on business cards and stuff, should is it ok to use a gmail? Or does it look unprofessional? I guess it would just be to save like 12 bucks a year, but I'm not really sure about the domain name as of now.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I'm not talking about accessing it, but more for like business contact, like on business cards and stuff, should is it ok to use a gmail? Or does it look unprofessional? I guess it would just be to save like 12 bucks a year, but I'm not really sure about the domain name as of now.

Seriously, $1 a month is too much?:p

I don't see anything wrong with using a gmail address. It is not like it is hotmail.;)

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I'm sorry, but if I see a gmail or hotmail account on a resumé or business card i do look a little askance at it. It doesn't look nearly as professional (to me).

Then what would recommend someone who doesn't have his own domain to use as an email account?

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
I use it on my resume. Why not use it. It's my email account

Because in the professional world, it's assumed that you've built enough experience to go beyond a free email account. I'm a graphic designer and have been on a number of hiring committees. The designer who has their own domain appears more professional than the designer with a free email account.

There are 1000 little (and big) cues that one uses in sizing up candidates. That is just one of them... and it is not one of the bigger ones.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Ok after lookin through other portfolio websites I think I'll go with the domain specific. It does look nicer and more of a complete package

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
Ok after lookin through other portfolio websites I think I'll go with the domain specific. It does look nicer and more of a complete package

Yeah... but I still won't hire you. :(

Oooohhh... just kidding. :D

Git out there and kick some behind! :)

scottness

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2009
Room 101
Yeah, I'd say domain specific email just looks better. An @gmail address just doesn't look professional enough, imo.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
As a consumer I don't mind people using a gmail account. Email is email afaik.

Google has made huge inroads into education by providing free tools for colleges to use, which is definitely respectable. Current college grads know and respect gmail.

Also, it's kind of comforting, because no one is expecting Google to go away any time soon. Gmail provides an aura of permanence.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Because in the professional world, it's assumed that you've built enough experience to go beyond a free email account. I'm a graphic designer and have been on a number of hiring committees. The designer who has their own domain appears more professional than the designer with a free email account.

There are 1000 little (and big) cues that one uses in sizing up candidates. That is just one of them... and it is not one of the bigger ones.

Although this seems to be very true I think it's a shame. Gmail is great and so is simplicity. It's a shame someone would be so snobby and short-sighted as to exclude an otherwise worthy candidate on something as trivial as an email provider... especially such a widely used one.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I guess the stigma is a free mail account doesn't exactly scream professionalism, even though gmail is great.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
As someone who has hired people for the government, I can promise you that your e-mail address' domain hardly matters. Well-qualified people have AOL, comcast, worldnet, hotmail, ymail, and pretty much every other crappy e-mail service and they're judged based on their resume, not their contact information.

If the nature of your contact information does affect the decision on whether or not you're to be hired, that organization isn't worth working for in the first place.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

What BS. If I'm going to apply for a new job, I'm not about to use my current, "professional looking" e-mail address from my current company for any correspondence, that is just asking for trouble. Obviously, if I'm going to be printing up business cards I would, but for a resume I'm giving to another potential employer? No way.

I got hired at my current job with a Gmail address on my resume. I don't think it's the domain, I think it's the username. All other things being equal SupaSexyPlaya696969@gmail.com is probably less likely to get the job than john.doe@gmail.com

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
IMO, it looks unprofessional.

I recently was thumbing through a motorcycle magazine whilst err.. using the facilities.. at work. There was an Italian manufacturer of helmets (they looked quite nice too).. and their email was soandso@AOL.COM. Yes.. AOL.COM. That would be fine 10 years ago.. but in 2010? That's just ridiculous.

Most web hosting sites will throw in a domain specific email service too. Use it.

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
I use an email with a custom domain on business cards, but gmail for daily communications, including with clients. I keep the custom email off gmail in order to have a backup for those rare occasions when gmail goes down.

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
As someone who has hired people for the government, I can promise you that your e-mail address' domain hardly matters. Well-qualified people have AOL, comcast, worldnet, hotmail, ymail, and pretty much every other crappy e-mail service and they're judged based on their resume, not their contact information.

If the nature of your contact information does affect the decision on whether or not you're to be hired, that organization isn't worth working for in the first place.

I imagine different professions have differing requirements.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I imagine different professions have differing requirements.

In what profession does an e-mail address domain detract from a qualified candidate? Not trying to pick a fight, just genuinely curious. The concept of judging someone on something that petty is completely foreign to me. (Note: I'm not talking about a username like SupaSexyPlaya696969@gmail ; rather the difference between john.doe@gmail vs. john.doe@business.com )

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
In what profession does an e-mail address domain detract from a qualified candidate? Not trying to pick a fight, just genuinely curious. The concept of judging someone on something that petty is completely foreign to me.

In my profession it doesn't detract from a qualified candidate but the people I deal with on a day to day are taken more seriously by me if they have an actual domain e-mail address. The two don't correlate though, I don't hire the type of people I deal with on a day to day so ...

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
In what profession does an e-mail address domain detract from a qualified candidate? Not trying to pick a fight, just genuinely curious. The concept of judging someone on something that petty is completely foreign to me. (Note: I'm not talking about a username like SupaSexyPlaya696969@gmail ; rather the difference between john.doe@gmail vs. john.doe@business.com )

In web development and IT, where people are expected to be more savvy about such things. That said, Gmail is not nearly as maligned as Hotmail, Yahoo, AOL, mostly because it's considered a technical leader, and even had some cachet back when invitations were hard to come by.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.