hey guys pls help me with this. a little worried [Suspicious popup on website]

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by flimzy, Apr 16, 2013.

1. flimzy, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2013

flimzy macrumors regular

So basically i was on my computer and i guess a popup appeared in the back randomly. Or it was an ad. But anyways, it was a video popup that was embedded on the site and it was playing, but it was at the back of my browser and my volume was off so i totally didnt notice it until i tried to watch a youtubevideo and turned my volume on and i heard a random video playing. for like 30 min it was on like this. then i closed it immediatley and got scared. SO basically this was the site, {redacted}

that was the website i think it was like some tips on getting girls or something i dont know for sure, but now im scared that just being on that video or website (i looked there after for investigation) could install a trojan or something on my mac and cause my security to be breached or something. someone please help me stop worrying

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Don't worry. Not possible.

But be smart when browsing.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. flimzy thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very much, I have read those. I already turn Java off and I enable my firewall. After giving you this info do you think that site is likely to place a trojan on my computer?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not likely at all. If you've been following the safe computing practices in that link, you can be confident you have no malware on your Mac.

6. flimzy thread starter macrumors regular

Alright thank you. Now I know that it is highly unlikely that this website infected me. But in the future, do you recommend any anti virus that could "detect" any trojans or what not just incase? Or are they not needed.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing. 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free.

8. flimzy thread starter macrumors regular

Alright cool man, thanks alot for your help. One more thing, those handful of trojans can only effect you if you willingly allow them to be downloaded correct? and sorry if i sound like a broken record here im just really paranoid :p

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

By having Java disabled in your browser, the only trojans that can be installed on your computer are ones you actively install. There's no need to be paranoid. It's relatively rare for an average Mac user to ever encounter malware at all. If you're not regularly pirating software or surfing hacker sites, it's highly likely you'll never see any malware. Be sure to read the FAQ I posted.

10. flimzy thread starter macrumors regular

alright thanks alot for your help, and yes it says that java is disabled however java script is enabled. anyways thanks alot for your help, as well as mrkeeks

edit: and yeah i do not do that stuff