Hey MacBook owners: How much would you pay for a LED-keyboard BTO option?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UCLA-Bruin, Feb 20, 2008.

1. UCLA-Bruin macrumors member

UCLA-Bruin

Dear MacBook (not MBP) owners,

How much would you pay for a build-to-order (BTO) illuminated keyboard option?

At one point the 15" &17" PowerBooks offered it as a BTO option for about $69-99 (I don't recall the exact price), and that might very well be how much it is technically "worth" as a cool bonus feature - but for those of you who consider it a necessity and don't want to switch to an Air/Pro, HOW MUCH WOULD YOU PAY? (considering the fact that it would improve the value of your machine when you eventually sell)

I'd say, personally, $199 max.

Also, what is Apple's logic here? To force us to buy an Air/Pro if we like the feature enough?

(I ask, because I once owned a PowerBook G4 17" (rev.A) and loved the feature. I traded down to a 12" PowerBook (no illuminated keyboard option) and missed the option. Then I traded in for the MacBook (rev.A, then rev.B, then rev.C)...all along hoping that the option would find its way into the machine. It never has. So, now I have to buy an Air?)

2. akm3 macrumors 68020

I would probably pay $100, I just think it is the coolest damn feature. Yes it's gimmicky. In no way would I return $100 of productivity on the life of the machine. But I don't care. I'll probably buy a MBA instead of a MB, despite losing some functionality, despite the MB filling all my needs, partially because of this feature.

3. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

That's around what I'd be willing to pay too ($150 - $200). In fact, I'd have dropped the extra cash down in a heartbeat. Any more than that, though, and the price would have approached that of a MBP (especially for would-be BlackBook owners). In that case I'd think most people (myself included) would pay a little more and get the base MBP.

That's what I'd say. And also possibly to justify the higher price...

4. gothamm macrumors 6502a

$69-$99 technical "worth"?

if you are talking about production, i'd say it costs apple around $2.50 and thats a safe guess...

5. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

I probably would have gotten a MacBook if they had this option! I think they knew that :)

6. UCLA-Bruin thread starter macrumors member

UCLA-Bruin

Not so fast...the MacBook offers better portability (than a Pro) and better performance/upgradeability (than an Air) ... so for some reason Apple wants to place us between a rock and a hard place. I think it is an unwise business strategy. I mean, think of all of those MacBook owners who would actually sell their current machine for a new one that offered an BTO illuminated keyboard option? I just say "blech" at the Air...the MacBook is the perfect machine (minus the graphics card issue).

7. UCLA-Bruin thread starter macrumors member

UCLA-Bruin

Better put: "industry worth" or "consumer-market worth". Yeah, think of the killing they would make if they made it a BTO for $99+.

8. GAS macrumors regular

The MB isn't a lot more portable imo. Also, I doubt many people would sell their current machines for a new one, just for an illuminated keyboard.

9. gothamm macrumors 6502a

damn, you would pay $200 for a keyboard with a bulb on the back?

jesus christ. apple has you by the balls. i mean no offense...

gotcha, fellow bruin.

10. ivan1234 macrumors regular

i wouldn't pay anything for an illuminating keyboard, however I would pay extra for a higher quality, high res, LED back-lit screen. :cool:

11. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

None taken :p

As the OP stated, it would also add to the value of the MB. That's something I forgot to mention when I stated my price. I'd gladly take one for less tho ;)

Besides, there's more to an illuminated KB than a bulb on the back, right? They may be easy for Apple to make, but I'd bet its still easier to buy one from them than make your own from scratch.

12. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Agreed. The MB weighs nearly exactly what the MBP weighs, and side by side, the footprint difference is negligible.

:eek: I guess I'm not "many people." :eek: I basically upgraded from an iBook to a MB for the KB. And I sold the MB thinking either MBP or MBA.

Ultimately, I've decided on the MBA (which just arrived in the middle of composing this)... so excuse me while I go open my new toy!!! :D :D :D

13. GAS macrumors regular

Congratulations. I was playing with a mba on monday, was very impressed. I still can't believe the only reason you're upgrading is for the illuminated keyboard. But each to their own.:)

14. UCLA-Bruin thread starter macrumors member

UCLA-Bruin

Now that you have your hands on it - how much of the $1699 is the keyboard backlighting worth to you? :)

15. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i dont ever use mine, i woulda saved the 100 bucks if i coulda taken it off

16. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

It's definitely a worthwhile feature however I think you are mistakened. I've been on the Macintosh since Mac OS 8.5 and know every model and had every Powerbook and there was never an option for the backlit keyboard. I don't know where you got that idea.
    The 17" Powerbook was the first and only model with the backlit keyboard as it was never an option for the 12". After the 15" was released a lower end model didn't have the backlit keyboard, you had to buy the next model up to get it. To my knowledge it was never a BTO option.

17. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

:D Seriously, it is not the only reason. Ever since owning a 12" PB, 12" iBook, 13" MB-- I've longed for a lighter Apple portable. The 12" PB's foot print was amazing. The iBook was a great all-around 'puter that the MB was able to beat (as a v simple user; wifi reception, battery life, weight were of the utmost importance to me). In order of favorite KB: MB > PB > iBook.

And for me, computing isn't about the fastest or most "powerful" but about making my day-to-day comfortable and as non-techy as necessary. For me? It's the little things that add up and make a greater overall difference.

What sorts of little things? Users who have owned and used both will attest-- the magnetic latch is a godsend! The backlit KB (which I've not yet truly experienced long-term) is also a really nice touch. And the overall feel of the KB. Yes, the "power" line KB looks nicer. But to me? The use and feel of the "chiclet" MB KB is so much better. What do I do must on the computer? I read and type. To have a nice KB I love? That does make a difference.

Also, weight. As in the machine's weight. I'm not a power user. Can I stress that enough? :D Probably the most tasking thing I do is view streamed video clips. Ha. So to me? Yeah, it's so worth a few sacrifices to have a lighter machine. Will an extra 2lbs to carry brutalize me? No, but as one MRer once posted (can't find the post right now)-- something to the effect of, "If you could carry a magazine or a textbook, which would you choose to carry?"

I ono. It's not dark enough to kick in yet. :D

18. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I would probably pay an extra 49-69 bucks. 100 dollars is pushing it for a keyboard. I personally think they should make colors available for the Apple on the outside and the keyboard. "I'm feeling blue today," blue it is.... That I would pay for.

19. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

20. writeous macrumors regular

I've had my MBP for almost 6 months, and I think I've legitimately used to 5 times tops. It does look cool though:eek:

21. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

$100 at most.

It should've be there in the first place. I love the illumination. I hate that they didn't include it in this version.

Maybe in the next revision it'll be there. We can only hope!

22. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I have it on my powerbook and I never use it. It's a gimmick that I would't pay for.

23. ribbonthecat macrumors regular

I have never understood the use of a backlit-keyboard. I would not pay anything for it, nor do I need it. Maybe it is because I know how to type.

Hell, I used to type on a Das Keyboard. I only switched to the Apple one that came with my iMac because I like the feel better. If they took off the lettering on the keys, fine with me.

24. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

Its for those times when its dark in a room or somewhere else.

25. ribbonthecat macrumors regular

I type in the dark all the time. Because I know where the keys are. Having a backlight to help you out only makes one more dependent on the keys, and less able to properly type.