Hey nerds! I just bought the new updated MacBook Pro and it's HOOOOTTT!

TheRebelFightClub

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2019
Nerds. I need some guidance here. Today I received in the mail a lovely MacBook Pro 2.3GHz i9 with 16 GB ram and 1 TB HD. I bought it for music production and installed Ableton Live 10 Suite and Cubase Pro 10 as fast as I got it. But this machine is so hot and the fans are going off much more than my MacBook Air 2017 ever did. I mean, 1 track in Ableton Live and I can almost cook an egg on this thing. And the fans are screaming like a bitter vacuum cleaner.

There have to be something wrong here. Even just surfing the web on youtube, twitter etc it's almost hurts putting my hands on the metal of the machine. The CPU doesn't even hit 5%, but this baby is screaming like it's about to die. I'm so confused right now. I thought that a high spec MacBook Pro would be cold as ice with no CPU intensive tasks. What's going on here?

Reactions: OSX15

LogicalApex

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2015
You don't mention which one you have, but make sure you've installed all macOS updates on it. If it is the 2018 model there was some fixes needed quickly after release.

TheRebelFightClub

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2019
User error? In what way could it be user error? It's the newest 15 inch MacBook Pro 2.3GHz with 16GB ram and 2 TB ssd HD. It's the latest update in software and everything should operate smooth in theory
[doublepost=1561584718][/doublepost]
... and give it some time to do the indexing and finish the initial encryption (FileVault2 is enabled by default).
But that happens relatively quickly right? I've been working on it for around 12 hours. Activity monitor say that CPU is only hitting like 5-7%, but it's on fire and fans are going off anyway. It's so weird. I've had Macs for around 10 years, and I have never seen anything like this

TommyBoy5

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
I have the same machine only 512SSD. The first day mine was like that too. Fans sounded like jet planes. My wife came into my office and asked "are you going to be able to live with that?" and I honestly didn't think I could. It has not happened again since that first day.

Reactions: OSX15

TheRebelFightClub

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2019
I have the same machine only 512SSD. The first day mine was like that too. Fans sounded like jet planes. My wife came into my office and asked "are you going to be able to live with that?" and I honestly didn't think I could. It has not happened again since that first day.
Lol, that's very funny, and very interesting. I did a smc reset based on the advice given by Stralyan, and it's at least quiet now. I have to do some more testing, but what you're saying gives me some peace of mind. I'll report back. But as I write here right now, at the same time as I have Ableton Live opened with some CPU heavy VST's. There's no screaming fans at least.

Reactions: StralyanPithecus

TommyBoy5

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
I think it had something to do with the two-hour transfer from my old MB to this MBP. Then I installed Windows on Bootcamp. Then I installed two SSDs and set up Time Machine. I mean it just screamed for probably the first 8 hours. And that's AFTER I finished all of the installations and was just browsing the web. Coming from the passively-cooled and completely silent MB Retina for the past four years I was really concerned about what I had just got myself into! Again, two weeks later, other than some high-FPS Windows 10 gameplay and I have yet to hear the fans come on again. And they've never come on under OSX again.

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
Nerds. I need some guidance here. Today I received in the mail a lovely MacBook Pro 2.3GHz i9 with 16 GB ram and 1 TB HD. I bought it for music production and installed Ableton Live 10 Suite and Cubase Pro 10 as fast as I got it.
If you perhaps are using a pirated version of Ableton Live you may have also installed some bitcoin mining software that gets inserted into the cracked installer.
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/mac/2019/06/new-mac-cryptominer-malwarebytes-detects-as-bird-miner-runs-by-emulating-linux/

TheRebelFightClub

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2019
If you perhaps are using a pirated version of Ableton Live you may have also installed some bitcoin mining software that gets inserted into the cracked installer.
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/mac/2019/06/new-mac-cryptominer-malwarebytes-detects-as-bird-miner-runs-by-emulating-linux/
Omg.. Of course I'm not using a pirated version of Ableton Live when I buy this kind of computer to use exclusively for music production. I mean, seriously dude. Goodness gracious.

twanj

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
Hmm, I got a similar machine tonight but 2.4ghz i9, 32GB RAM, 1TB, & Vega20.

Which video card do you have? The 555X & 560X supposedly ran much hotter in the 2018 model at least.

I'd say it's mildly warm above the touchbar in the middle. Not hot tho.

skirmisser

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2012
Nerds. I need some guidance here. Today I received in the mail a lovely MacBook Pro 2.3GHz i9 with 16 GB ram and 1 TB HD. I bought it for music production and installed Ableton Live 10 Suite and Cubase Pro 10 as fast as I got it. But this machine is so hot and the fans are going off much more than my MacBook Air 2017 ever did. I mean, 1 track in Ableton Live and I can almost cook an egg on this thing. And the fans are screaming like a bitter vacuum cleaner.

There have to be something wrong here. Even just surfing the web on youtube, twitter etc it's almost hurts putting my hands on the metal of the machine. The CPU doesn't even hit 5%, but this baby is screaming like it's about to die. I'm so confused right now. I thought that a high spec MacBook Pro would be cold as ice with no CPU intensive tasks. What's going on here?
Are you using Chrome?

TheRebelFightClub

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2019
Hmm, I got a similar machine tonight but 2.4ghz i9, 32GB RAM, 1TB, & Vega20.

Which video card do you have? The 555X & 560X supposedly ran much hotter in the 2018 model at least.

I'd say it's mildly warm above the touchbar in the middle. Not hot tho.
I have the Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB. It seems to have gotten better since yesterday though for some reason. But it still gets very hot. At the same time, I do run my setup in a way that puts a fair strain on the CPU for long amounts of time.
[doublepost=1561661365][/doublepost]
Are you using Chrome?
No. I have only installed Ableton Live 10 Suite, Cubase pro 10, all of the plugins I use and drivers for my audio interface. I have other machines I use for web browsing and normie usage. This is a machine that is dedicated to music production and I do not install anything that isn't an absolute necessity for my DAW setup. I only turn on wifi when it's necessary.

960design

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL

A new MBP15 2019 i9 just arrived for me as well. I did the Transfer MBP > MBP via wireless last night. Let it run all night.

Haven't noticed any fan sounds today. It did get slightly warm, middle of the day during performance code testing ( as I like to reference bugs in the GIT documentation ). I haven't cranked up XCode yet. Currently just working with Visual Studio, Node.js and Apple Music playing in the background.

I'll report back if Xcode starts to kill it.

TheRebelFightClub

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2019
Yeah, sooo. It's screaming and burning again using three tracks in Ableton live. I can't even record vocals in the same room as this machine.. If I put my fingers over the Touch Bar it's so hot that I'll burn my fingers if I keep them there. THREE tracks! A Korg Polysix, a 707 factory patch from Ableton and some lead from the inbuilt wavetable synth.. And this thing is screaming like a dying pig. I'll probably just return it and be done with Macs for good. This thing is unusable. I just can't believe that Apple have ended up releasing top of the line laptops like this. If I can no longer buy a top of the line Mac and expect it to work for pro applications without having to tweak it and troubleshot it like a windows PC. Then I guess I'm done with Macs.

The REASON I choose to pay this amount of money for a laptop is because I need a stable and functioning system that gives me the possibility to focus on my work. I'm almost in shock. I've used Macs professionally for about 20 years. **** it, I'm done. I'm ****ing done. I just can't take it.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Yeah, sooo. It's screaming and burning again using three tracks in Ableton live. I can't even record vocals in the same room as this machine.. If I put my fingers over the Touch Bar it's so hot that I'll burn my fingers if I keep them there. THREE tracks! A Korg Polysix, a 707 factory patch from Ableton and some lead from the inbuilt wavetable synth.. And this thing is screaming like a dying pig. I'll probably just return it and be done with Macs for good. This thing is unusable. I just can't believe that Apple have ended up releasing top of the line laptops like this. If I can no longer buy a top of the line Mac and expect it to work for pro applications without having to tweak it and troubleshot it like a windows PC. Then I guess I'm done with Macs.

The REASON I choose to pay this amount of money for a laptop is because I need a stable and functioning system that gives me the possibility to focus on my work. I'm almost in shock. I've used Macs professionally for about 20 years. **** it, I'm done. I'm ****ing done. I just can't take it.
You can whine and moan and write Macs off all you want, but there’s almost a whole thread of responses telling you that this is atypical behavior.

If this is the best system/setup for you, give Apple a chance to make it right first.

Honestly though, we couldn’t care less what you do. *shrug*

LogicalApex

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2015

Modern computer users are an interesting bunch. This place is littered with complaints when the computers aren’t performing at peak and people complain Apple need to stop caring about quiet. Then you get people complaining that the computer turns the fans on at all.

It isn’t rocket science... if your workload puts serious weight on the CPU and/or GPU there will be heat. Heat that needs to be evacuated by fans.

If you don’t like the noise the heat generates then you need to move past a laptop or get a custom app to turn off the fans and throttle the performance.

If the problem is hardware then get Apple to swap it or return it. Entirely up to you. We don’t make a commission...

badsimian

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2015
Did you buy your i9 with the standard 560X or one of the Vegas? Also are you using it with an external monitor? Apparently the 560X with a monitor plugged in goes very hot indeed, much more so than the Vegas do.

960design

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL

I can highly recommend:
Zenbook Pro 15

Here is a very fair review.

The specific part about the surface temps and fan volume:
start at 5:20 ( MacRumors does not allow me to add the video with the start time > 0 ).

TheRebelFightClub

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2019
You can whine and moan and write Macs off all you want, but there’s almost a whole thread of responses telling you that this is atypical behavior.

If this is the best system/setup for you, give Apple a chance to make it right first.

Honestly though, we couldn’t care less what you do. *shrug*
Yeah yeah yeah. And I couldn't care less about your passive aggressive projection. Tonight I've been able to do some work using my 2017 low spec macbook air, so that's a relief. The REASON I use Macs is because they used to "just work". That era seem to have passed. If I can't even install the latest update of Ableton Live on a new top of the line macbook pro and expect everything to run smoothly, there's no reason for creative professionals to use macs anymore imo. I don't really mind fine tuning a PC if I have to. But that is the reason we used to buy macs, so we didn't have to do that ****.

Modern computer users are an interesting bunch. This place is littered with complaints when the computers aren’t performing at peak and people complain Apple need to stop caring about quiet. Then you get people complaining that the computer turns the fans on at all.

It isn’t rocket science... if your workload puts serious weight on the CPU and/or GPU there will be heat. Heat that needs to be evacuated by fans.

If you don’t like the noise the heat generates then you need to move past a laptop or get a custom app to turn off the fans and throttle the performance.

If the problem is hardware then get Apple to swap it or return it. Entirely up to you. We don’t make a commission...
I get what you're saying. And I obviously push my machines a lot over long amounts of time. But I actually can do work on my 2017 macbook air without fan noise ruining my recordings. It is what it is. I'm just gonna return it the new macbook pro.

Did you buy your i9 with the standard 560X or one of the Vegas? Also are you using it with an external monitor? Apparently the 560X with a monitor plugged in goes very hot indeed, much more so than the Vegas do.
Yeah, it's the standard 560X. No external monitor.

I can highly recommend:
Zenbook Pro 15

Here is a very fair review.

The specific part about the surface temps and fan volume:
start at 5:20 ( MacRumors does not allow me to add the video with the start time > 0 ).
I'm strongly considering going PC now, so I'll check out the Zenbook. If things doesn't "just work" with macs any longer I might as well spend time setting up a PC properly instead of overpaying for a mac.

Maybe you can try turning it off and on?
We have a comedian here boys. The cringe is strong with this one.