Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
... Say the stereotyping devs and publishers.

1t.gif
2t.gif
3t.gif

Imagine™ Babyz® is the first simulation game focused on caring for babies. Players take on the challenges of raising a baby throughout all stages of development and will also be able to take photos and exchange tips and clothing through a unique online component.

Imagine™ Master Chef allows players to create recipes from all over the world using the stylus to prepare, stir and cook ingredients. Players can customize their kitchens with utensils and appliances. Fun mini-games include cooking quizzes and kitchen challenges.

Imagine™ Fashion Designer invites players to become hip Manhattan designers handling all aspects of the fashion business, from creating their own line of clothing to directing photo shoots. Online gameplay allows players to share their designs and ideas with friends and fellow aspiring young fashionistas.

I suppose this is the dark side of the "Touch Generations" moon.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Thank God for this! I was worried that I'd never be able to play!

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
Cooking Mama >>> Imagine Happy Cooking without all the "made for girls" stereotypical mumbo jumbo. A girl can play any game she likes ... my sister is master of rhythm games.

And that 3+ ... I wouldn't let any 3 year old near a game system.

And what's up with the disparity between the cover and the blurb?

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
I googled this, hoping it was a joke. It's not. :eek:

I know I don't post much in the gaming forums but this makes me unspeakably angry.

Most video games are marketed toward males. Even if they're amazingly fun to play (and I'm a girl), they still have scantily clad, bouncy, polygon-breasted female characters running around.

Like in RE4 for the Wii, the girl is ENTIRELY useless and re-enforces negative female stereotypes. Ashley, IIRC can't even fire a gun. She has to throw lamps at the evil things to thwart them. And then after her level, Leon is put in charge to protect her? At a save point, I asked my BF to kill her, just to see what would happen. It was awesome. She wimpered and cried before it happened, just like a girly girl stereotype would. She didn't even try to fight back. LAME. (I was glad to see her die. She annoyed me.)

Give me a strong woman who can fire a gun, defend herself, do things other than throw lamps, wimper in the face of an enemy, and have a camera pointed at her barely-covered-by-her-ripped-skirt butt.

I think I'll just quit college and my job so I can start popping out babies now. I'm 19; I've legally been able to make kids for about a year and a half (biologically for about 7 years). I'm slacking off! Good thing I already know how to cook and sew!

Aarrrgggggghhhhhhh!!
and don't get me started on TOYS for boys and girls. I work at a toy store and I get customers who think that a science kit isn't good for a girl, but a useless blonde-haired and blue-eyed barbie doll is perfect.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I don't think it's so bad once you read the description:
Embody a young student who visits her grandmother's house for the summer. Your grandmother leaves to go on holiday and leaves you in charge of her house. During her absence you will have to maintain the house and even decorate it to your taste. In order to do this you will need to earn money by taking care of all your neighbour's babies, where you will find your vocation - babysitting!
I mean... it's about earning money.

:rolleyes:

Of course, I was always jealous of how girls could make more money babysitting an evening per week than I could delivering papers the entire week....

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Imagine babies should be "Imagine yourself a single mother at 14"

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
I hope that nobody buys this, so game developers everywhere get a the message.
They are catering to the non-gamer female segment (for the most part) which is almost non-existent. There are plenty of female gamers, i know a lot that play wii, nobody needs games like Imagine Babies

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
For some reason the well put together girl on the cover of the babies one with a big smile on her face reminds me of health ed in high school. They brought in a teenage mother to try and scare the girls from getting knocked up in high school. The girl went on and on about how great it was...her mom watched the kid and she still got to go out with friends and come to school...not what they intended.

Box art should have a girl who hasn't slept in weeks with horrible hair about to scream :)

Paul

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Ubi knew they wanted to call the game "Imagine babies...AT YOUR AGE" but they punk out at the last minute:D

Ubi thinks of the darnest things....whats next "spank the ham" the game? yup touch generation.

online enabled....ewww

Bless

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I know I don't post much in the gaming forums but this makes me unspeakably angry.
Yes, that is how I feel, too. Except, it makes me so weak and nauseated, that I can't even get angry. Plus there's no point to getting angry. I read the OP earlier today and felt physically sick. I literally left the computer. (And no OP, it's not a reflection upon you, but rather the gaming industry, contemporary society, and hegemonic structures, overall.)

Give me a strong woman who can fire a gun, defend herself, do things other than throw lamps, wimper in the face of an enemy, and have a camera pointed at her barely-covered-by-her-ripped-skirt butt.
The issue I have with that is... why must being strong be equivalent to being capable of causing or inflicting violence? It's a dual-edged problem: being non-violent should NOT be a symbol of femininity or weakness. Likewise, being masculine should NOT entail being or even being capable of violence.

and don't get me started on TOYS for boys and girls. I work at a toy store and I get customers who think that a science kit isn't good for a girl, but a useless blonde-haired and blue-eyed barbie doll is perfect.
Sigh. Yes. Open up your Sunday ads. I can bet that the average 2-80 year old can tell from 50 ft away which pages are filled with toys "for girls" and which "for boys." It's highly evident. Trust me. Any given Sunday, those intended for "girls" are bright pink while the boys' pages are blue.

Children show full internalization of genderizing by the age of 3. Three.

Of course, I was always jealous of how girls could make more money babysitting an evening per week than I could delivering papers the entire week....
Okay, maybe. But then from the age of 18 and later, in terms of other full blown careers? In almost every industry today, men are still paid more than equivalently qualified women. So yeah, I'd rather take the pay hit from the ages of 8-18 if it meant I could make that much more and get raises, bonuses, promotions, and even better benefits more and more frequently from the age of 18+.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
while being ridiculous on the one side on the other side i guess quite a lot girls like to play "mama" looking at the amount of "baby" dolls being sold

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
while being ridiculous on the one side on the other side i guess quite a lot girls like to play "mama" looking at the amount of "baby" dolls being sold
I think a point is being missed.

There is a difference between actually liking something or the way that things are versus having internalized societal norms and expectations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.