Hey Photographers, I'm looking for a Photo gallery with a shopping basket

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Renderz, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Renderz macrumors 6502

It's coming to a point where I want to give my clients a gallery where my clients can browse my photos and gives them the following options:

1. Shopping basket
    2. Paypal payment
    3. Watermarked photos
    4. Easy backend management

I find SmugMug to have all of these features, but I just wondered if there was anything else out there that could compete?

Many thanks

2. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

SmugMug?

You'd have to opt for the $149/year package to get custom water marks and photo/gallery/site pricing that you can set but even the basic offers baskets I think.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Smugmug and Zenfolio both have what you need afaik.
    You can also make your own using paypal's merchant tools.

4. operator207 macrumors 6502

If your looking for something you can run yourself, you might try Gallery.

I run this for myself, though not for profit. Its pretty decent, and a quick search found it has a cart feature, and a paypal feature.

if you already have a web host, they may already have gallery as a module you can just turn on. A few web hosting companies (specifically ones that use Plesk) have it available to their customers.

5. digitalfrog macrumors regular

digitalfrog

If you want to have a portfolio with your 'bestoff' and a shopping cart then you could use pixelpost like I do.

It's not meant to have 1000's of pictures though, but it looks great.

You can see it in action using the link below.

6. Renderz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys. It still looks like Smug Mug is the best option.

7. jstegman macrumors newbie

http://www.picturespro.com/

I have this, but only just started playing with it. Are you wanting to host it, or wanting someone else to?

8. NeXTCube macrumors member

Fwiw

For what it's worth, I'm set up with dotphoto. They charge a commission, plus a payment processing fee. The gallery is free, and you can customize the look and feel. My gallery is at http://wrbluepearl.dotphoto.com.

9. Renderz thread starter macrumors 6502

What is their photo management system like? Is it easy to rename, tag, edit photos on mass?

10. anubis macrumors 6502a

Smugmug is definitely where it's at... best looking themes, best picture viewer, best slideshow viewer... plus if you do a quick search on the internet for "smugmug coupon code" you can easily find a 50% off coupon...

11. anubis macrumors 6502a

Oh and let's not forget that even with their cheapest plan with 50% off coupon ($19.98 a year) you can store an unlimited number of photos in full resolution (provided they're less than 24MB each) with unlimited transfer. So if you've got terabytes (or even hundreds of gigs) of photos, $20/year is worth it just for the picture backup and storage capabilities ($20/year for off-site professional hosting or hundreds of dollars for a backup hard drive attached to your computer?)

12. NeXTCube macrumors member

I have to admit that I usually don't bother re-naming the photo files, though I probably should since my EOS only names up to 9999 and I've shot about 25,000 photos with it!

That said, I uploaded in albums, using their Java tool which let me drag & drop from iPhoto straight. They have an iPhoto plug in, but it didn't seem to work for me; whether that's because I'm using an older version of iPhoto (iPhoto 6) I'm not sure. You can modify picture attributes, like tags, individually or on an album-wide basis.

As for editing, I didn't use any of the site's tools for editing (cropping, etc) the photos; I did all of that in iPhoto & Photoshop Elements before uploading.

If I had a complaint, it would be that you can't set multiple mark-up options, or set prices individually per picture. I have a number of pictures that I'd be happy to post either for free or "at cost" - pictures of local events, etc. - and I haven't figured out how to do that part quite yet. But it's free! :)

13. Renderz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info NextCube. I went for SmugMug and I'll be trying to push it's customization as much as I can.