Hey Siri on iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xero9, Sep 10, 2014.

1. xero9 macrumors 6502a

I didn't see any mention of this, but wondering if the Hey Siri thing works even when not plugged in now. I have a bad feeling they didn't include this feature.

2. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

It must be plugged it to work. Too much of a battery drain otherwise.

3. xero9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know that's the case for the 5/5S, but there was some hope it would have some dedicated bit of hardware like the M8 I believe to allow it to listen all the time.

4. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

doubtful. and when would you need to use this feature when it's not plugged in anyway?

5. xero9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

While not great examples, I can think of two. Driving in the car, I want to send a quick text to someone. It'd be nice to yell over to my phone on the passenger seat.

Also, last weekend I had my phone on the bed while I was painting the bedroom and needed to send quick text, but didn't want to get paint all over my phone.

Minor, I know, but would have been nice given the technology exists.

6. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

In both situations the phone could be plugged in.

7. appledes7 macrumors 6502a

Yes, lets just assume everyone everywhere always has their phone plugged in. Sounds like a great idea.

The fact is, many modern mobile CPUs have dedicated cores for this to make battery drain a non issue (go research the Moto X 2013, Moto X 2014, and OnePlus One).

Apple could have done this, but they didn't. Am I disappointed? Yes. Surprised? No. This would have been a great feature because not everyone always has their phones plugged in. Or maybe they don't always want to deal with cables and plugging their phone in every time they get into their car or sit at their desk. And since you are not an all-knowing being, lets take into account the fact that there could be situations where this would be useful that you didn't think of yet. I know, it sounds crazy that there could be something you haven't though of yet, but yes, it is true.

So sure, in many situations a phone could be plugged in. But how does that kind of thinking help push innovation and useful features? It doesn't.