HFS or APFS for High Sierra

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by krishnaM, Dec 17, 2018.

1. krishnaM, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018

krishnaM macrumors regular

I postponed High Sierra upgrade last year as I read lot of messages reporting problems with APFS file system. Have they been resolved? Is it ok to use the APSF now or better to stay with HFS file system?

2. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

Unless you have some very specific need for APFS I'd stick with HFS which still works perfectly fine.
    Some of my third party applications initially did not work with APFS, I'm sure that has been remedied by now but I've never had the urge or the need to check.

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

APFS has worked fine for me since launch, seems people either have, or don't have, any components that don't play nice with it - I don't see any general issues or problems from using it.

4. krishnaM, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018

krishnaM thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for replying. I do not have any software that may need special setup. I am just used to having flawless running mac for last 10 years, since I switched from Windows. I think I'll stay with HFS for now.

5. MarkC426 macrumors 6502a

You do have to do it via terminal commands though.
    If you just run the installer on an ssd it will change to apfs automatically.
    Just a heads-up.....:)

6. krishnaM thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advise. I am following the instructions from this article (http://osxdaily.com/2017/10/17/how-skip-apfs-macos-high-sierra/). I already did the firmware update. I am holding off Mojave now as I like to have the security blanket of 'Boot Screen' for my cMP 4.1-5.1. Hopefully someday you all come up with some smart trick to get boot screen with non apple gpus