Hi! Current MacBook Air owner. Move to Retina MBP or new Air?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rade2008, Jun 12, 2013.

1. rade2008 macrumors newbie

Hi all
    I am new here and i have one question

I have a 2011 13" macbook air and i want to upgrade it for a new 2013 13" macbook air or 13 " macbook pro retina display and i don t know which one to choose ? What do you think ? New air or retina macbook pro ?

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Greetings,

Since your post was off topic with regards to the news story. I have moved it into your own thread in the Buying Tips and Advice forum.

To help answer your question, Please let us know what you use your Air for, and what your plans are going forward with your mobile computing. The Air is a great machine, and so is the Retina MBP.

Cheers!

3. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Unless you absolutely need a new laptop now, wait

The retina macbooks have not been upgraded and are expected to be refreshed in a few months. I would recommend holding off on a decision until then. Whether you should get the air or the pro depends on your processing power needs. The pro is great for power for graphics, picture, and video editing while the air is great for portability and battery life. Unless your needs have changed from what you were given with your older air model buy the air.

4. maxosx macrumors 68020

It may be very wise to avoid anything new at this point.

Why not just enjoy what you have and wait (Apple loves to make us wait) until either the MBA is given a decent display or until Apple puts the latest processor in the MBPr.

I know, I have a mid-2012 MBA, as well as a 15" mid-2012 MBPr.

Everything except the display on the Air is quite good and fast, (but mine's' maxed out) and the MBPr is also just fine, yet could benefit from better battery life.

5. rade2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

1. Sorry for off topic
    2. Thanks. Maybe i ll wait for the new generation MBPr :) however i want a MBPr for the display because the MBA display is the same :(

6. appleisking macrumors 6502a

The display may never change

To do so may require compromising on the battery life, which is something that the air has going for it. It's the ultimate portable device, it's not meant to be pristine in every spec. It also takes away from the purposes of the retina pro as the ultimate graphics and video editor. I wouldn't expect retina until next year for sure.