Hi everyone, I just joined today and thinking about switching to an iMac...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wanderer707, Aug 20, 2007.

1. wanderer707 macrumors newbie

Hi I'm wanderer707 and I recently bought an iPhone and was simply amazed. I've been a PC user mostly all my life, but I've seen macs before in the Apple Store and I love to use them! I am really starting to like Apple and I am about ready to make the switch. Problem is, I don't really have money haha. I'm going to graduate high school next summer and entering college. I really want the new iMac before I graduate also. It looks so cool.

Yeah...well I just wanted to say that to start me out. I found this forum just a few days ago and thought it was a great place to get Apple news and discussions so I decided to join.

2. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

my advice is to hold off until next summer before you go to university and buy a new Mac laptop then. A laptop is essential for university (trust me, I've had both a desktop and laptop as a student), and you will want a new machine too.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

When you enter college, Apple sell you a Mac at a small discount and give you a free iPod as well. It happens every summer. Wait until next summer.

4. wanderer707 thread starter macrumors newbie

whoa, I never knew that. Good idea, thanks for the advice guys!

5. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

Welcome to the forum!

On the other hand, if you want to get a new mac, I actually think it may be a good idea to get it when Leopard comes out.

Since you are new to Mac, starting out college with new environments, new people and a new life in general, the last thing you want is to be stuck with a computer that youve never tried before, let alone an entirely new operating system.

I suggest getting some sort of mac either really cheap or an imac now so you will get used to using the mac and by the time u reach college, at least you can rely on your laptop for productivity etc.

My 2 cents

6. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

I'm with Kaiser on this. Don't wait until the last minute. However, if you can wait until January you may be able to get a good deal on a refreshed (returned) machine that was given as a gift. Best wishes.

7. basbr macrumors member

I've been enjoying my first Mac (the new low-end 20" iMac) little over a week now. Coming from DOS, 3.1, 95, 98, XP and Vista, I must say: It took me about 10 minutes to get used to OS X.

That's not to say that I advise you to wait. I advise you to buy, and buy now. It's the best machine I've ever used; and this with the OS X that will be significantly updated in two months!