Hi everyone, I just joined today and thinking about switching to an iMac...

wanderer707

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
Hi I'm wanderer707 and I recently bought an iPhone and was simply amazed. I've been a PC user mostly all my life, but I've seen macs before in the Apple Store and I love to use them! I am really starting to like Apple and I am about ready to make the switch. Problem is, I don't really have money haha. I'm going to graduate high school next summer and entering college. I really want the new iMac before I graduate also. It looks so cool.

Yeah...well I just wanted to say that to start me out. I found this forum just a few days ago and thought it was a great place to get Apple news and discussions so I decided to join.

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
my advice is to hold off until next summer before you go to university and buy a new Mac laptop then. A laptop is essential for university (trust me, I've had both a desktop and laptop as a student), and you will want a new machine too.

Kaiser Phoenix

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2005
London
Welcome to the forum!

On the other hand, if you want to get a new mac, I actually think it may be a good idea to get it when Leopard comes out.

Since you are new to Mac, starting out college with new environments, new people and a new life in general, the last thing you want is to be stuck with a computer that youve never tried before, let alone an entirely new operating system.

I suggest getting some sort of mac either really cheap or an imac now so you will get used to using the mac and by the time u reach college, at least you can rely on your laptop for productivity etc.

My 2 cents

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
On the other hand, if you want to get a new mac, I actually think it may be a good idea to get it when Leopard comes out.

Since you are new to Mac, starting out college with new environments, new people and a new life in general, the last thing you want is to be stuck with a computer that youve never tried before, let alone an entirely new operating system
I'm with Kaiser on this. Don't wait until the last minute. However, if you can wait until January you may be able to get a good deal on a refreshed (returned) machine that was given as a gift. Best wishes.

basbr

macrumors member
Welcome to the forum!

Since you are new to Mac, starting out college with new environments, new people and a new life in general, the last thing you want is to be stuck with a computer that youve never tried before, let alone an entirely new operating system.

I suggest getting some sort of mac either really cheap or an imac now so you will get used to using the mac and by the time u reach college, at least you can rely on your laptop for productivity etc.

My 2 cents
I've been enjoying my first Mac (the new low-end 20" iMac) little over a week now. Coming from DOS, 3.1, 95, 98, XP and Vista, I must say: It took me about 10 minutes to get used to OS X.

That's not to say that I advise you to wait. I advise you to buy, and buy now. It's the best machine I've ever used; and this with the OS X that will be significantly updated in two months!