Hi-Res 15" cMBP 1080p video playback (Not looking for buying advice)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ShiggyMiyamoto, Jul 6, 2013.

1. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Hey all. I've been shopping/looking around online and I found this:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0MWALL/A/refurbished-macbook-pro-27ghz-quad-core-intel-i7

That's a great deal. I plan on shoving two high performance Corsair Neurton GTX 240 GB SSDs (replacing the SuperDrive's bay with one) in RAID 0 so I can have amazing insane performance as well as decent storage. I'd be willing to give up Retina resolution for the 1680 x 1050 resolution on that model linked above. It'd be a total beast. My only concern lies with 1080p video playback on a non-total-HD screen (i.e. 1920 x 1080). Could someone with an MBP of this caliber report back as to how full 1080p video plays on the 1680x1050 display with the GTX 650M? Also, I do realize that the Haswell rMBPs with the PCI-E SSDs are coming out relatively soon, but I just want another option and what not. Thanks in advance!

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

3. ShiggyMiyamoto thread starter macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Hmm may I see a screenshot? or maybe a video of it in action? I'm curious about the bars on top and botton.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm not following you? What do you want a screenshot of?

5. ShiggyMiyamoto thread starter macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

The video frame... basically how it looks at 1680 x 1050 vs 1920 x 1080 display resolution. Like a freeze frame.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Okay here are some screen shots from a Vimeo trailer... But I guess my display is only 1440x900.

Attached Files:

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

My early 2011 handles 1080p just fine.

Bars aren't an issue if you have video setup properly. That is, unless the content doesn't match the aspect ratio of the display you're using. In such cases there's nothing you can do without bars or cropping.

8. ShiggyMiyamoto thread starter macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

9. Memole macrumors member

well it depends on movie like what accept raito is filmed and so

for example if the movie is recorded in 16:9 and since 1920x1080 is 16:9 you will have full screen on that movie :) edge to edge

and since HI-Res macbook pro is 16:10 you will have some minor bars when you are watching 16:9 movies :)

10. ShiggyMiyamoto thread starter macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

That's totally fine. It's just that the Retina MBPs, short of amazing, aren't rubbing me the right way with all their issues with IR and so on. I love the idea of two SSDs in RAID 0 for ultimate speed on a portable machine. :)