Hi-Res Screen a Sign of Things to Come?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gan6660, Apr 29, 2010.

1. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

With the addition of an HD screen to the 15" MBP is it possible Apple may be getting ready to add bluray?

2. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

No, they want you to download videos through iTunes. Blu-ray is still a bag of hurt.

3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

The HR screen in the 15" MBP is no more high def than the standard one is. It's still smaller than 1920*1080, so it can't natively play full HD content. Both the standard and HR options will play 720 content at native res, though.

4. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

? No more high def? Just because its not 1080p, doesnt mean it wont look better.

Or am I missing something?!

5. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

The Standard Res is capable of 720p (Its higher than the 720p res) But the HR option cannot display 1080p, so there was no gain.

If it was 1920x1200/1080 not 1680x1050, there might be a case, but no.

No BluRay, ever.

6. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

I don't think we'll ever see Blu Ray in a Mac. It's old tech now, any discs are old. The future is disc-less. I realize this is not reality for many folks now, but it is the inevitable trend, and Apple has a tendency to move toward future goals. Besides Apple would like you to get movies from iTunes. Again, this is no argument a Blu Ray collector thinks is valid now, but I do think it is the way Apple is moving.

7. ZTuned macrumors member

If that were the case, why do we still have optical drives in our 2010 MBP's? While the future may be "disc-less", it isn't yet. If Apple was as forward-thinking as you make them out to be, we wouldn't have an optical drive that can only read and write stone-age media. If Blu-Ray is "old tech" now, how outdated does that make our stupid Superdrives that only work with CD's and DVD's?

8. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

It's one thing to keep existing tech around, and another to go through the trouble and licensing issues to bring in new hardware that is basically already out of date.

I know disc are not dead yet, but they will be soon enough.

9. rectifiability macrumors newbie

It's really a shame. I just got an i5 MBP with the HR screen, and for the first time ever I actually care about HD video. Any shows I download or stream now, 360 lines are just inferior (but were completely fine on previous monitors). Suddenly having this mac (my first), and this really lovely slot disk-drive, I feel inclined to buy and rent a ton of blu-ray and make even better use of this wonderful machine. Oh well.

10. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I still dont see the need for a bluray player in a laptop.

You can just about stream/download any movies/tv shows in hd and get instant access.