Hi-rez displays on all devices

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by winterquilt, Jun 28, 2011.

1. winterquilt macrumors regular

winterquilt

*I wasn't sure what section to post this*

I've been reading up on Apple's Hi-rez iOS display (now I'll use that term because people seem have an issue with the "Retina" moniker) and am looking for the dimensions of each of the following iOS and OS X devices resulting in them qualifying as Hi-rez:

iPod
    iPhone (960×640 @326ppi)
    iPad
    MacBook 13.1"
    MacBook 15"
    MacBook 17"
    Cinema Display 24"

As I understand it the only device so far to feature a Hi-rez display is the iPhone, working along mathematical guidelines that its 3.5" display is 326ppi and assumed to be on average 12" (1ft) away from the user, provides a 960x640 display. It's all in the distance from the eye, with desktops being further away I think?

Not that north of 300ppi is needed for a distance of 1ft, in fact the following snipped from a retinal scientist called Bryan Jones states:

"if a normal human eye can discriminate two points separated by 1 arcminute/cycle at a distance of a foot, we should be able to discriminate two points 89 micrometers apart which would work out to about 287 pixels per inch"

ref: http://macdailynews.com/2010/06/25/retinal_neuroscientist_examines_iphone_4s_retina_display/

So, assuming that, then what of the measurements for the rest of the lineup from Apple?

Thanks guys!

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

1. The iPod touch has the same "Retina/Hi-res" screen as the iPhone 4.

2. I don't know if this answers your question, but in Mac OS X Lion, Apple is now including super high resolution wallpapers (3200x2000) and High Res icons (1024x1024), I don't know for which computer that would be for, but that might be the Max any of them would get (once a manufacture can actually mass produce such a screen at a cost effecting price).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [click to enlarge]

3. winterquilt thread starter macrumors regular

winterquilt

Thanks, but I did know about all of that. I am after the calculations to reach each displays Hi-rez level.

Thanks.

4. err404 macrumors 68020

It's lower then you think. Since distance is a critical factor in the RD equation, many displays can already be considered RD. For example my 50" 1080p TV viewed from 6' can be considered RD because each pixel is less then 1ArcMinute.

If you assume a normal monitor viewing distance of 24", anything near 150 DPI will qualify as RD. Take a look over here for a calculator:
    http://members.ping.de/~sven/dpi.html

5. winterquilt thread starter macrumors regular

winterquilt

Sure but the equation on the site only allows for the dimensions and the ppi, I need to know the ppi required based on the calculations by Apple, as well as the screen sizes.

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I'm confused why this is such vital information that you need to know.

7. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

They better increase the resolution of the iPad... As much as I love the rich and responsive screen of my iPad 1, the chunky pixels are irritating.

8. winterquilt thread starter macrumors regular

winterquilt

Why do people respond like this, what a total waste of time this post is.

Does anybody actually know the equations?

Thanks.

9. JCCL macrumors 6502a

Dude, with that attitude, I don't think you'll be getting any responses even if someone knows...

10. err404, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011

err404 macrumors 68020

You can determine the required minimum DPI for RD at a given distance with the calculation:
    3438 / (ViewingDistanceInInches)

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It's not unreasonable to ask why, and if you're going to be snarky about it, why can't you figure it out yourself?

12. winterquilt thread starter macrumors regular

winterquilt

More useless replies! Don't bother adding your thoughts to the thread unless you are going to contribute constructively.

**I'll save you the smarmy reply, don't bother, your not that clever, so forget it**

13. skier777 macrumors 6502

It depends on how far away from the screen the users eyes are in a sense. If you have those dimensions it becomes easy to calculate.

Dont get your hopes up though, apple isn't going to release a retina display macbook pro for a while. I wouldn't wait for it.

14. winterquilt thread starter macrumors regular

winterquilt

Ah I see, but what significance is "3438" prey tell? and once I have the PPI, what then of the screen size? Right now I sit about 18" from my MacBook which is 13.1" in diameter, which right now has a screen size of 1280*800

So for my MacBook it would be 191ppi but what then of the screen size, how do I work that bit out?

Thanks!

15. skier777 macrumors 6502

pixels/inch x inches = pixels. So if you know the ppi you need, multiply it buy the dimension of the screen to get the total number of pixels for that dimension. A 15.6 inch MBP screen is 8inches high.

16. skier777 macrumors 6502

my screen is 1050pixels high and is 8 inches so its 131ppi in the vertical direction
    and 1680pixels across and 13.4inches wide so it is about 125ppi in horizontal.
    I might have mismeasured and it might be about 128ppi in both directions, but pixels are not always square.

helpful site for finding the dimensions of your screen: http://nayuki.eigenstate.org/page/triangle-solver-javascript

17. err404 macrumors 68020

3438 is a value derived from the tangent of the angle of 1 arc minute.

18. ESPN macrumors regular

What is Hi-Rez?

Are you talking about High Res which derives from high resolution?

Perhaps you should get your technical terms correct before getting on everyone's case and demanding an answer.

19. winterquilt, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2011

winterquilt thread starter macrumors regular

winterquilt

Okay so, I have a White MacBook at roughly 110ppi right now, which is 1280horizontal by 800 vertical. So to find out the Hi-rez dimensions and ppi do the following:

[3438 / (ViewingDistanceInInches)]: 3438 / 18" = 191ppi

[ppi of vertical at 7"]: 191 * 7 = 1337ppi

[ppi of horizontal at 11"]: 191 * 11 = 2101ppi

Is this right?

I don't get this bit "pixels/inch x inches = pixels." Does Inch mean 1 or was it a typo because to me that looks like 800/1 x 7 and that's not right so I got this:

[pixels/inch x inches = pixels]: 191 / 11" * 7* = 121ppi

I hate maths, a lot.

How about you use your common sense and start from the beginning, why don't you read what I wrote. And no, I don't care what you think unless you have the answer don't bother, what's the point.

20. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

....which is why you're having difficulty with a very simple problem.

It seems your question is not well formed. Are you trying to calculate ppi or are you trying to calculate whether a display is "Hi-rez," which according to you apparently means that the human eye can't distinguish the pixels?

21. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Agreed! When I put my iPhone 4 next to the iPad or even iPad 2 the iPhone 4 just looks so much more damn clear! But I love my iPhone 4's display. Everything is so fricken clear! And when you look at screenshots you take on your MacBook its like insane how beautiful it is!

22. winterquilt thread starter macrumors regular

winterquilt

The only reason I asked for "Hi-rez" was because people complain about the Trade Mark "Retina Display", fine, I need to know the equivalent retina display for everything but what is covered now: that being the iPhone/iPod Touch. Although I understand that the iPod Touch's screen is not quite as good and the iPhone.

I need to know the Retina PPI of say a MacBook 13.1" and the 20" cinema display... all the devices in "Retina" quality as well as what their screen sizes would end up being.

So, right now my MacBook is 1280*800 at about ~110ppi, well if I am about 18" away from the screen what would the new calculations be and how do I get there?

Thanks.

23. ESPN macrumors regular

I am pointing out an incorrect term but i guess you have too much ego to listen to others. I have the common sense to point out a problem yet you don't even think about watching steve jobs keynote about retina display.

You should heed your advice and start using common sense.

24. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Given a screen, ppi is invariant. You, perhaps, want to know the minimum distance one needs to be from a given screen such that two adjacent pixels are indistinguishable to the human eye.

Even though you've been a major pr*ck to a lot of people in this thread, I'll help you get the answer you need.

1) Go to the library and learn basic algebra and trigonometry.
    2) The answer is now trivial.

Cheers.

25. winterquilt thread starter macrumors regular

winterquilt

Go home, wash your mouth out with soap and don't bother coming back. Shouldn't have bothered sharing your thoughts in the first place, they're not productive anyway.