Hi, upgrade to OS X 10.9 from 10.7 via app store?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Liquinn, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Liquinn Suspended

Hi, anyone know if I'll be able to upgrade from 10.7 to 10.9 on June 10th via the app store?

Or should I buy a new Mac pre-installed with OS X 10.9 - so I still have access to Lion?

2. simsaladimbamba

Since OS X 10.9 is unlikely to be released to the public on June 10th and more likely to be released as Developer Preview for actual developers with a Developer account in order to find and iron out bugs, you may have to wait.

And when OS X 10.9 is released later this year, you will be able to upgrade from Mac OS X 10.7 Lion to 10.9 like you can with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.

And in order to preserve a Mac OS X 10.7 Lion install you can always do a clone of your current installation to an external HDD in order to fall back onto it.

Why have you not upgraded to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion yet? It is miles better than Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

3. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

Not saw the need to upgrade... yet.

So will I be able to upgrade from 10.7 to the new OS next year or does no one know yet?:p

4. simsaladimbamba

As I said before, yes, you will be able to upgrade to OS X 10.9 from Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, as you can already upgrade to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion without going via Mac OS X 10.7 Lion if you still have Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

And we still do not know, if OS X 10.9 is going to be released this or next year, though it is very likely, that it happens this year, as Apple stated to go on with a yearly release schedule. iOS 7 has had priority though and developers from the OS X team have been ordered to help with iOS.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Just to make sure this is clear:

10.6 "Snow Leopard" was an aberration of sorts, because it introduced the Mac App Store, and thus the future means of upgrading. All releases after 10.6 - 10.7 "Lion", 10.8 "Mountain Lion", and the forthcoming 10.9 - can be directly upgraded to from any of the earlier OSes, skipping anything in between.

6. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

So if I want to wait until 10.10 is out; do you think I'll be able to upgrade from 10.7 to 10.10? Or should I upgrade to 10.9 when it comes out to be safe?

7. simsaladimbamba

As we do not know, we cannot say for sure, but is highly likely, that you can upgrade to 10.10 from Mac OS X 10.7 Lion without purchasing any other versions in between. Your Mac has to be supported by the version you want to upgrade though.

8. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

I wonder how long Apple will support the 2012 cMBPs for in terms of OS upgrades? I guess we'll see.

9. simsaladimbamba

For four years probably, thus 10.10 should be running on them.