Not saw the need to upgrade... yet.Since OS X 10.9 is unlikely to be released to the public on June 10th and more likely to be released as Developer Preview for actual developers with a Developer account in order to find and iron out bugs, you may have to wait.
And when OS X 10.9 is released later this year, you will be able to upgrade from Mac OS X 10.7 Lion to 10.9 like you can with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.
And in order to preserve a Mac OS X 10.7 Lion install you can always do a clone of your current installation to an external HDD in order to fall back onto it.
Why have you not upgraded to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion yet? It is miles better than Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.
Not saw the need to upgrade... yet.
So will I be able to upgrade from 10.7 to the new OS next year or does no one know yet?
So if I want to wait until 10.10 is out; do you think I'll be able to upgrade from 10.7 to 10.10? Or should I upgrade to 10.9 when it comes out to be safe?Just to make sure this is clear:
10.6 "Snow Leopard" was an aberration of sorts, because it introduced the Mac App Store, and thus the future means of upgrading. All releases after 10.6 - 10.7 "Lion", 10.8 "Mountain Lion", and the forthcoming 10.9 - can be directly upgraded to from any of the earlier OSes, skipping anything in between.
So if I want to wait until 10.10 is out; do you think I'll be able to upgrade from 10.7 to 10.10? Or should I upgrade to 10.9 when it comes out to be safe?
I wonder how long Apple will support the 2012 cMBPs for in terms of OS upgrades? I guess we'll see.As we do not know, we cannot say for sure, but is highly likely, that you can upgrade to 10.10 from Mac OS X 10.7 Lion without purchasing any other versions in between. Your Mac has to be supported by the version you want to upgrade though.