Hidden errors in iPhone software??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tammster, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

Warning... long post (at least for me).

Out of nowhere yesterday my iPhone 5S camera started freezing. Tried hard reset and a few other things & it didn't fix it. Went to my local Apple Store & they did a diagnostic on my phone that found something like 32 software errors on my phone. In fact, she said that was the most she's ever seen. In any case, she did a clean install & found the camera still didn't work so they gave me a new one.

Even though the software errors were not the cause of my problem she recommended a clean install instead of restoring from my iCloud backup, which I haven't done since my first iPhone (the 2nd model). She said those errors were likely old and just carrying from one backup to another and the only way to fix it was NOT to restore my backup.

I really tried. I started downloading my apps from scratch... and I have a lot. Just a time waster but I can suffer through that. :p Then I realized my text messages were all gone forever. Ok, not a huge deal. Finally I spent a ton of time yesterday figuring out how to get my 6000+ photos from Dropbox back into my camera roll. This is HUGE for me as I am a big photographer; in fact the camera was my sole reason for upgrading from the 5 to the 5s (WORTH IT). I first tried downloading the photos from my dropbox folder through iTunes but it put the pictures in a separate folder instead of in the camera roll. After doing research I discovered that there are apps that will restore right to my camera roll (I used the Photo Sync app). I let it go all night& this morning woke to see the pictures were NOT in the correct order. When I look at the year view it's just all messed up. This is a deal breaker for me (and crazy frustrating) so I broke down & I'm restoring my iCloud backup now.

So.... here's my question: Was the apple employee right that those error messages are just stuck on my phone forever unless I do a clean install? Prior to the camera problem I had no issue with my phone. My battery was as good or better than other people I talked to and rarely had apps or my phone freeze. Should I just pretend she never told me that??

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Yes she was correct. Errors can be held in backups and carried over os to os. This is normal.

usually the recommended thing is when it's an x.0.1 update it's safe to do ota but when it's a x.1 or x.0 update it's better to do a clean install.

3. Tammster thread starter macrumors 6502

Tammster

Can they identify the app that caused the error and, if so, would removing and reinstalling that app help?

4. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

Ummm, you say you are a photographer, yet you rely on an iPhone camera for photos? No offense, but a true photographer would never rely on an iPhone for their main camera equipment...

5. wxman2003 Suspended

Um, where did she say that? She is downloading her photos from dropbox.

6. kerrikins macrumors 65816

In the next sentence where the OP says "This is HUGE for me as I am a big photographer; in fact the camera was my sole reason for upgrading from the 5 to the 5s"

Not that it matters since it's already been proven that you can take great pictures on an iPhone, but it is actually in there. :p

7. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

As a printer by trade, let me be the first to tell you that photos you want to print for photo quality prints should never be taken with an iPhone... You may get "okay" shots with it, but it is NOT a replacement for a good DSLR camera...

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

it makes sense since you were loading backups from 3G!! :eek:

The software has changed a lot internally plus every iPhone has a different few for it, so it makes sense you would get screwy software.

I always restore as NEW w/out backups on every new device; hell I also do it for every new OS for each phone.

9. dlondon macrumors regular

If you install as a new device each time, do you manually do all your apps, settings etc? What about contacts and messages?

10. cynics macrumors G3

Hidden errors in iPhone software??

It's annoying as all hell about how everyone claims how great Apples back up system is but every time you have the slightest problem a restore from new is the remedy. Seriously what's the point? I guess if your phone is stolen or broken?

I'm dealing with this right now with a message app bug that is being maintained by back ups.

11. g4manimac macrumors 6502

Yeah my backup system isn't too great either what I do like is my photos and contacts always go seemless but my apps never transfer they always pop up with an error message but I'm not dedicated to many apps and go through new apps like a track star would a 3 pack of socks from the dollar tree so not a big deal to just re download all of the ones I'm currently using.Plus my permanent ones ebay,craigslist and paypal.

12. Tammster thread starter macrumors 6502

Tammster

I have a real camera too, but it's much too big to have with me all the time.

13. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I don't understand why people post stuff like this.

If the current software cannot cope with the data it is reading, that's a bug - it's not normal. If the backup contains an error - that's a bug. If the restore from backup didn't work properly - that's a bug.

Apple allows users to upgrade from one device to another using backups, so it should work how they tell users that it will.

14. Tammster thread starter macrumors 6502

Tammster

I think that the point is... bugs are normal. I can't imaging what my office computer would be like if every year I replace it (which I dont of course) and just dump everything from the old one to the new one. I know there's a ton of garbage (bugs) on here that generally don't bother me.

What I think would be useful is some kind of clean up tool. I was very surprised that the Apple tech can SEE the errors (by the way, any way us customers can see them on an app or something?) but not repair any of them.

15. tkmcguire1 macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

Yes there is a way to see errors-
    Just go to settings-About-diagnostics and usage
    If there are any errors or crash reports,it will show it there.

16. Saileshbreaker macrumors regular

Put your iPhone on silent, play a song or any sound, stop it then immediately put your iPhone speakers near your ear, you will hear a sort of noise which stops after a few seconds, even if you play a game with music/sound off, it send out that noise. It's definitely a bug since it's doesn't happen under iOS 6. It's a phantom battery killer!