Hide a genre of music in iTunes???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AeroBar, Jan 8, 2012.

1. AeroBar macrumors 6502a

Hello,

Is there anyway to hide a particular genre of music and video in iTunes?

I want to hide the Christmas the Christmas music, movies and TV Shows, but I do not want delete them or have to reimport them next summer.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Other than making a Smart playlist for all my music (minus Christmas genre), no I'm not sure there is any other way unless you delete them and re-import them later.

Hopefully, someone else can shed some light into this issue as I'm not an iTunes expert.

3. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

4. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

I would make a second iTunes library, put only those songs/videos in it, and next holiday season, open iTunes pointing to that library. You would still be able to restart iTunes in the main library if you wanted to access your "normal" music.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1589

5. AeroBar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the advice guys.

The only thing I could come up with was to UNTICK the songs and videos in question. Maybe that will be enough.

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

That's what I do. iTunes won't play them even though they're still in the library, and then I just check them again once Christmas rolls around.

jW

7. kevinpowertv macrumors newbie

I can tell you what worked for me... I have all my music that I listen to downloaded on my computer and matched using iTunes Match. So, I ended up deleting my Xmas music off my computer, but kept the songs in the cloud. Then, you can go to View > Hide Music not on this Computer. Boom! Xmas music removed from my library.

This obviously won't work though if you stream all your music in iTunes from the cloud or if you don't have iTunes match. Sorry!!