Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ottonian

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2003
Simple finder is great for kids but...
I would like to hide or remove the Shared Folder icon from the dock.

Any ideas/good hacks?

Any other kid friendly configs?

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
i am sorry, but i dont understand what you are asking. If you want to remove something from finder, you can just drag it out, it would disappear.

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
Originally posted by abhishekit
i am sorry, but i dont understand what you are asking. If you want to remove something from finder, you can just drag it out, it would disappear.

That's what my first reaction was, having never used Simple Finder, but the solution is not that simple. If you want to see what the problem is, create a new user with Simple Finder. In the Dock there are several folders, one being the Shared Folder. You cannot drag items in and out of it like normally.

ottonian

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2003
Exactly...Apple said:

Originally posted by HexMonkey
That's what my first reaction was, having never used Simple Finder, but the solution is not that simple. If you want to see what the problem is, create a new user with Simple Finder. In the Dock there are several folders, one being the Shared Folder. You cannot drag items in and out of it like normally.

1st Apple tech told me to go to full finder using admin priv under Simple Finder and I should get access to the dock. No go.

2nd Tech told me there was no way to change the folders on the dock under Simple Finder but there may be a hack to hid or delete it.

Hence the request. You'd think it Should be as easy as dragging it off the dock wouldn't you? It isn't. Tried a resolution for six hours and still come up empty.

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
Re: Exactly...Apple said:

I found a partial solution. It's not ideal, but it will sort of work.
In Mac OS X files are references in two ways. One is aliasing, like in Mac OS 9, where each file has a unique ID, so if it moves it can still be found. The other is symbolic links, which just links to the location eg /Folder A/Folder B/File.
The shared folder that Simple Finder points to is located at /Users/Shared, so to prevent each of the above linking techniques, I couldn't rename it or replace it. So I deleted the current one, and made a new folder with a different name (I called it 'Shared Folder'), and set its permissions so that everyone could read and write, and then set the owner to System (same as the old one). Then the Simple Finder Dock can't reference to it because it breaks both of the above links. Unfortunately, instead of simply removing the icon from the Dock, it is replaced with a question mark icon, but clicking on it will do nothing.
Of course, some users will figure out that you can use command-up arrow in Simple Finder to be able to navigate the whole hard disk (taking permissions into account) and hence they would be able to navigate to the new folder, but it won't be directly linked from the Dock.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
hmm..sorry to be way off....:)
hexmonkey's solution looks neat..
one other may be, you can create another group, and add your kid's acount to that group. and then set up the prefernces of the shared folder such that the created group cant read, write or execute.
to create a new group, you can do the following
finder-applications-utilities-netinfo manager
you would need to click on the lock to make changes. Then select group. It would show you all the groups in the rightmost column.now select any one group which has 4 entries in the property table below..so u can select 'appserverusr'. Then click on the 'duplicate' icon on the top. THis would create a copy of that group. Now select this copy, in the property table below and change the name of teh group to whatever u want. ALso change the usr to the new account name you wish to make.save and quit.
hope it helps..

ottonian

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2003
Thanks all..

Really appreciate the feedback.
I'll give it all a try.

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
Originally posted by abhishekit
hmm..sorry to be way off....:)
hexmonkey's solution looks neat..
one other may be, you can create another group, and add your kid's acount to that group. and then set up the prefernces of the shared folder such that the created group cant read, write or execute.
to create a new group, you can do the following
finder-applications-utilities-netinfo manager
you would need to click on the lock to make changes. Then select group. It would show you all the groups in the rightmost column.now select any one group which has 4 entries in the property table below..so u can select 'appserverusr'. Then click on the 'duplicate' icon on the top. THis would create a copy of that group. Now select this copy, in the property table below and change the name of teh group to whatever u want. ALso change the usr to the new account name you wish to make.save and quit.
hope it helps..

This was one of my earlier attempts. It prevents access to the shared folder, but when you click on it from Simple Finder, it displays an error and then displays the whole Users folder, which is not exactly ideal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.