Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GammaRayToaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
Germany
(can't believe there's no thread here for this, but search brought nothing related.. sorry if it's already there)

Hey,
one thing about the dock is really bugging me..
When hiding the dock it's still leaving a small margin of a few pixels. That margin will appear on the screen border you've hidden the dock and it will not allow windows to take that space, instead letting the wallpaper glow through. As long as your wallpaper is black it's just looking like the dead black margin around the screen is just wider on the bottom, left or right.
But if your wallpaper has a nice bright color on that particular spot its shining through as hell, when windows are maximized and taking up all other space on the screen.

If you set the application to fullscreen it disappears.

Does anyone know an elegant way to make this small border of unused pixels disappear?
I don't want to kill the dock, but getting rid of the gentle reminder where it's hiding would be great.
Guess it's the exact point where the dock appears when you move your mouse there.

Thanks beforehand,
GammaRayToaster

nassosdim

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2011
I can't believe it that there's actually another person bothered with this. I ended up here hoping for an answer to this question but looks like nobody cares. :(

Still, it ticks me off!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've tried, but I can't think of anything more trivial to obsess over! :rolleyes: Whatever floats your boat, I guess!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I think with Tiger or Leopard the app could take up the whole window. I remember noticing the extra few pixels shortly after upgrading to Leopard or Snow Leopard.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I'm also sure I've seen a thread on this before. Maybe on another forum?

It's nothing a strategically placed strip of duct tape couldn't fix. ;)

ensjesse

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
What res are you all running? I don't see anything when the dock hides. It's completely gone on black or white or any color background i tried to test. Did you clean install? Are you running 1920x1080?

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
What res are you all running? I don't see anything when the dock hides. It's completely gone on black or white or any color background i tried to test. Did you clean install? Are you running 1920x1080?
No, he's right. It's done that since at least Leopard.

Dock hidden on the left of the screen, window as full as it gets without entering fullscreen mode:
screenshot20110813at124.png

ensjesse

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wow that's weird! Never seen that before.

GammaRayToaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
Germany
It's nothing a strategically placed strip of duct tape couldn't fix.

Totally agree to that one.

Now, i have asked anyone i know with a Mac , since i was confused about getting no response for the first week. And two friends of mine claim their MacBook does not do this.

I am running the 1920x1200 resolution on a 17", they're both high res 15".

Yet I did not find anything else but killing the dock.
I may try a fresh reinstall when time's allowing it, since I still run what apple has shipped to me, updated to lion.

hyungsup

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2009
I hide my dock on the bottom and it doesn't cause any problems.
Maybe it's to do with software.
Report to apple?

Beyondthought

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
Not sure if anyone still has this problem, but..

I believe it has something to do with the display perimeters. I had this problem twice and each time it fixed itself (as if by magic!). This time I realised it was from when I switched in between Airplay mode. People can try the same, or just perhaps play around with the display resolution and hope for the best :)

bakerBB

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2013
I think this is by design. It allows you to resize the window (using the mouse) on the side the dock is on, without activating the dock.

tylerlovesapple

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2013
Weimar, CA
So no one has a fix for this, short of dragging the window down and then resizing vertically? Those 4 pixels drive me absolutely nuts when I'm in Lightroom trying to work on my photos :mad: and I unfortunately can't resize the window because I like to work in fullscreen with menubar so there is no resize option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.