HiDPI on external monitor on late '12 15" rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MaxLt, Feb 11, 2014.

1. MaxLt macrumors newbie

I spent a lot of time searching for the answer but could not get it. I have a 4K monitor connected to a 15" rMBP from late 2012 with Mavericks. Display works fine at it's native resolution at 30Hz, but everything is too tiny. How do I make it HiDPI? I see only non-HDPI resolutions in display options.

2. MaxLt thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump. Anyone? why does Apple make things so difficult???

3. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

According to anandtechs nMP review

4. MaxLt thread starter macrumors newbie

I have not seen a definitive example of anyone doing it successfully, and it does not work for me. The mode is in the list in SwitchResX (with "!" sign), but when I select it, nothing happens. So I can do the full resolution of the monitor, with everything being small, but I cannot do HiDPI. I can also do HiDPI well with this monitor on my wife's Windows 8.1 laptop. I tried SwitchResX, QuartzDebug, ResolutionTab etc - nothing works. I'm either not getting the mode switched at all, or the monitor shuts off when I make the switch. Maybe Mavericks changed something?

5. unphased macrumors newbie

Yep, I'm in the same boat, I now have two external monitor setups that are failing to function properly on Mavericks with the rMBP 15" mid 2012. It's particularly frustrating because it is a big selling point of Mavericks that it addressed the hobbled multi-monitor support in ML, but it seems like it was one step forward, and one step back.

I really wish I had given the HiDPI a try back when I was still on ML.

It basically just does nothing when you try to switch to certain HiDPI modes. In particular, the one that we care about, which is the one at half the native res. This yields the best image quality most of the time. Most of the much lower HiDPI modes work just fine.

I really hope someone at Apple is aware and that a fix for this is in the works.