High-end monitor for color correction and photography

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gphoto, May 30, 2007.

1. gphoto macrumors member

With price as no factor, up to about $2000 what are some of the best color correction/photography monitors on the market? I tried to find threads for high end monitors, but they all seem to be advice on cost-effective models.

2. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

wait for the apple refurb store to offer the 30" ACD for i believe 1499. could be 1999. but those are sooo sexy, and they are amazing to look at.

3. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

Well I personally have the LaCie 321 monitor, 2 of them. Very nice and very accurate. Highly praised in the Photo/design world. Retail is $1600 roughly.

You could also take a look at Eizo which is another good company.
    the CG 210 is a good monitor, top rated at shootsmarter.com

Granted the best one out there is an Eizo http://www.eizo.com/products/graphics/cg221/index.asp
    which retails for about $5500, which is out of your budget an Adobe RGB monitor one of if not the only one of its kind.

But remember, these are the most color accurate monitors, but still need to be calibrated for your location. I calibrate once a month but I know others that calibrate every other week.

4. CTYankee macrumors 6502

NEC and Eizo $1500+ models are really getting great reviews. Apple's are not in the same league, you can't calibrate them (profile yes, calibrate no). These new LCDs have RGB values you can really calibrate via the LTU's and not just adjust at the cost of performance.

5. gphoto thread starter macrumors member

What calibrator do you use for your monitors?

6. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

Since I have the LaCie's I run their calibrator which is recommended but only works on their monitors.

I have also used others when doing work in some places. The best one I have used other than the LaCie is the Eye-One Display 2 for the price. Its $250 with a rebate of $50. Decent calibrator. Also the Eye One photo is excellent, but pricey, over $1000.