High end photo monitor for mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by trevorreid, Jun 8, 2008.

1. trevorreid macrumors newbie

anyone have or know someone who has a FlexScan SX2461W. I havent found any revies and i would like to talk to someone before i get it.

2. luka macrumors member

still seems like a pretty new monitor. My guess is if you have the cash, stick with an Eizo, they'll rarely steer you wrong. However, if price is a factor, the new dell 2408WFP with a good calibration should suffice.

I'm a photographer, and in all reality a well calibrated screen, even a fairly cheap one, will get you results close enough to have little noticeable difference on your final print from a decent profiled printer. Sure, you might - under the right light and with the aid of a perfect reproduction - be able to see a tiny difference. If that bothers you (and in some cases, rightly so), then go spend the thousands of dollars on the eizo. Personally, if a client wants a custom image or a gallery perfect print they haven't got access to a perfect raw file anyway, thus, the print looks right.

But that's just a photographer's point of view. Ask a graphic designer and they'll tell you something completely different. Depends what you need it for I guess.

3. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

The Dell is a nice monitor (I just bought one for my MBP), but since it uses an S-PVA panel, the color rendition will not be as good as a monitor that uses an S-IPS/H-IPS panel like the ACD and some other models.

So if color accuracy is critical to the OP, they should look for monitors that use H-IPS/S-IPS panels.

Just a note, the SX2461W also uses an S-PVA panel per http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is great advice. Here is what is always told to me...
    Buy and eizo if you can. Buy an Lacie if you want a re-branded NEC, in that case buy an NEC (I did photo-editing on an NEC CRT for the longest time, besides their amazing warranty, the color accuracy was amazing), buy an Apple if you can, but in the end as luka said, any well-calibrated monitor will be good.

You should calibrate at minimum every 30 days. You should also try to work with your monitor and printer, my Spyder2 Pro came with the software to profile my printer too.

TN panels aren't good for photo-editing, that seems to be widely published. S-IPS is great and most commonly used for photo-editing but if you want quality and can spend the cash get a S-PVA panel. I say stick with any S-IPS panel and you'll be happy. I did read that Samsung has a S-PVA panel in a 21" screen. Check into that.

5. dimme macrumors 65816

I work in the printing industry and we have Eizo displays at work and they are the best I have ever used. I use the ColorEdge CG301W I think it was only $5000.

6. camhabib macrumors regular

So between a 23" ACD, the Dell 2408WFP, and Eizo S2111W / S2001, whats my best option as far as color accurate and quality display goes? Is pretty much any Eizo better then anything else?

7. luka macrumors member

As far as I know, yes. Buy it if you can, if you can't, calibrate calibrate calibrate.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I didn't know that. Quality NEC displays aren't easy to find in the UK.

Personally, I was looking at the Eizo ColorEdge models a few months back, but I can't afford one right now. I'm hoping that Apple update the ACDs soon as they're more affordable, but I'm not a great fan of its current stand/hinge and ideally would like a monitor that could take an HD signal at a later stage.

9. kwfl macrumors 6502

sorry for the original poster if this seems like hijacking your thread,

howeve, i would like to ask

what are the differences between the eizo SX3031W and ACD 30". ACD are already expensive why the eizo is even more expensive with propabley the same specs from first glance at specs.

10. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

I have an NEC 2490 (an H-IPS monitor) and can tell you it is the best monitor I have ever owned and I have had Eizo and Lacie monitors in the past.

11. dundonald macrumors member

Not sure about the Dell

I've had three new 2408 WFP's for a few weeks now and am having a hell of a problem calibrating them with a spyder pro 3. The reds are soooooo saturated!
    Can't say I would recommend them to a photographer. I have used some 21" NEC panels and they were brilliant, but have no idea about the 24 inchers.

Just my tuppence.

12. anmoldagreat macrumors member

you probably would have been happier with the dell 2407s
    those were ips

i have a dell 2007wfp which is kind of a lottery as far as getting an ips or not but i got an ips and i must say i like it a lot for photography.

13. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

First off, that Eizo will display 100% NTSC gamut and 97% Adobe RGB gamut, which is quite good. It also has a 12-bit look-up table. Apple doesn't publish these specs for the 30" ADC. IIRC, the Eizo uses an S-IPS panel.

14. chelsel macrumors 6502

Seriously, I bought this monitor about three months ago and I couldn't be happier. Here's the NEC link: NEC LCD2490WUXi

I researched for about six months and the NEC wins by a long shot.