High iPod Resale Value (83%+) ahead of Wednesday's Announcements

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Chiggs, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Chiggs macrumors member

You have to love E-Bay - Just sold my three iPods for an average of 83% of retail in advance of Wednesday's announcements... Money is in my PayPal account just waiting to order Steve's latest and greatest...

You can read the main details below but I also wrote a longer article about this on my blog at:

http://stockphotojournal.blogspot.com/2007/09/1-year-old-ipods-hold-83-of-original.html

I'm a huge iPod freak (I've purchased 27 iPods over the years either for myself or for family and friends) and just auctioned off my three current iPods on E-Bay in anticipation of new ones being announced at the Apple event on September 5th. (Please Apple - release a touch screen iPod with WiFi !!!) I'm shocked (and thrilled) that my three iPods collectively sold for 83% of the purchase price one year ago. (This figure includes selling one at a discount because I lost the earbuds.) How many other consumer electronics products hold 83% of their value (used no less) one full year later?

Full disclaimer - The 83% does not factor in E-Bay fees. At the same time though, it also does not include the fact that I usually recover about 50% of my E-Bay fees as part of my shipping costs. It also doesn't take into consideration the fact that I purchase my iPods at a 5% discount from retail from my company's personalized online Apple store. Factoring in all these items, the percentage is virtually the same - I've just chosen to ignore it for the purpose of sharing the numbers...

The 1st iPod I sold was my 1 year old Black 30 Gig iPod. It retails for $249 at the Apple Store and has sold for that price ever since I purchased it in September, 2006. This is the iPod that I sold without the earbuds yet it still sold for $187.50 or 75.3% of the original retail price. It cost me $3.32 per month to enjoy this iPod for almost a full year.

The 2nd iPod I sold was my 1 year old Product Red 4 Gig Nano. It retails for $199 at the Apple Store and has sold for that price ever since I purchased it in October, 2006. This iPod sold for $162.50 or 81.66% of the original retail price. It cost me $3.04 per month to enjoy this iPod for a full year.

The 3rd iPod I sold was my 1 year old Black 80 Gig iPod. It retails for $349 at the Apple Store and has sold for that price ever since I purchased it in September, 2006. This iPod sold for $315.00 or 90.26% of the original retail price. It cost me $2.83 per month to enjoy this iPod for a full year.

The total selling price of these three iPods was $665.00 or 83.43% of the total retail price of $797.00. Wow !!! It's important to note that I do take extremely good care of my iPods which allows me to list them as "like new" and I do keep all of the packaging, etc. so when it's time to sell, I can offer a complete package to the buyer. It no doubt helps as well that I have a 300+ positive feedback profile on E-Bay so buyers know that they can trust me...

Like I said - I'm a huge iPod fan and upgrade my iPods whenever new ones come out. Some people thing it costs me a lot to do this but as you can see, if you're smart about it, you can always have a new iPod, always have an iPod within it's warranty period, and never spend a dime on Apple Care for just a few dollars per month.

2. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Wow! Thats so awesome, but I must presume that these iPods were in near mint condition- unlike mine.

3. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Wow that's excellent congrats! Ebay is full of sillies, overpaying for so much :p

I didn't wind up as well as you, but i sold on Craigslist so i wouldn't have to ship. I moved my 4th Gen 20GB monochrome with USB 2.0, Firewire, AC adapter, and new ear buds (unused) for $120 in one day. Considering i paid $50 for it, i'd say i made out quite well!

4. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Are they really "overpaying" if that's what the resale value is?

But that's great about the 4G, they had those on woot the other day for $100.

5. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I mean it in a way that if i were in their position, i would look to a rumor site to see if there were going to be new ones released soon and know not to go above a certain price. I wouldn't pay top "resale" being an Apple follower or not :p