High-pitched noise coming from near MagSafe on 2013 rMPB 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jimmyco2008, Jul 19, 2014.

1. jimmyco2008 macrumors regular

Hey all,

I've done some Googling, and I'm not the first to report this issue, however I found the other threads on the subject to be inconclusive. I still don't know if this is a problem.

I only hear it in a completely silent room, usually only when my ear is up near the keyboard's upper-lefthand corner, by the MagSafe connector.

It's of course not the fan, and it makes the noise regardless of the MagSafe connector actually being plugged in, so it does this on battery, too.

My best-guess based on the other thread is that it's the CPU idling? I dunno, it's not really a bother, I just don't know if it's a symptom of imminent failure down the line, be a shame if I lost my baby (yes, I'm sure I'll subscribe to AppleCare eventually since I love this thing so much).

Anyway, any ideas? Maybe some of you brave souls out there will put your ears to the metaphorical ground in a quiet room and see if you hear anything? Would be much appreciated!

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

LOL its not the cpu idling, capacitor whine is common in some electronics to some degree - often in the power supply circuits. You say you can't hear it except in a silent room with your ear in a certain place???

Nothing to worry about.

3. jimmyco2008 thread starter macrumors regular

I mean occasionally it's loud enough to where I hear it from normal sitting position, that's how I discovered it (I didn't just one day decide to put my ear to the entire Macbook to see if I could hear anything, anywhere :p).

Well alright, this isn't my first Macbook, so I didn't expect any noise with this one, but it is my first rMBP... Maybe it has something to do with the unibody shell being thinner?

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Shouldn't worry, whether you can hear such whines depends on age and quality of hearing as well as the components causing it, by the time you are 25-30 they probably won't worry you any more :)

5. jimmyco2008 thread starter macrumors regular

That was my thinking, yeah, that any Apple Genius wouldn't be able to hear it!

Well, thank you for the assistance!

6. ourmountain macrumors regular

It's not.

Because that's normal computer usage. Silence everyone, ear-to-keyboard computing time is now.

I just have the mental image of you, in public, with your ear to the corner of your MacBook. Making a scene. Perhaps having a nervous breakdown, as no one else seems to hear it.

Your best guess is sadly incorrect, and in fact, so is the way you're using your computer. It's not meant to be held to your ear like a phone, and frankly makes you look ridiculous.

Yep. Stop putting your freaking ear to your computer like a weirdo.

7. Nr123*123 macrumors 6502

Funnily enough OP, I noticed this noise today on my 15" rMBP.

Bit of a weird sound but inaudible in anything but a completely silent room. I think it's probably because most of the time the retina macs appear completely silent, so any deviation from that perceived silence is unusual and thus you question it.

Nothing to worry about it.

8. jimmyco2008 thread starter macrumors regular

But ourmountain, how else am I supposed to make phone calls?

Alright, I think enough people have told me it's nothing to worry about, thanks to all who chimed in.

9. ourmountain macrumors regular

:D

I couldn't help it.

But yeah, definitely nothing to fret over.