High School Boys Sue Because They’re Not Allowed In All-Female Dance Troupe

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
https://thelibertarianrepublic.com/high-school-boys-sue-because-theyre-not-allowed-in-all-female-dance-troupe/?fbclid=IwAR00q3TbKq6tZoYwBjleD2Ie8YznO8OnbtTm43XaZ-7Bbw6QSVBuZ6uF794
Two Minnesota boys sued the state’s high school league, levying discrimination charges over rules barring them from performing on their school’s all-female dance teams.

The boys, Zachary Greenwald of Hopkins High School and Dmitri Moua of Roseville High School, sued the Minnesota State High School League, alleging that the state’s rule barring the boys from competing on their respective dance teams is unconstitutional and discriminatory.
good for them.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2017
YES! Two can play at this game as they say. Time for us guys to sue the crap out of everything and everyone that doesn’t include us! :D
This is nothing new. The plaintiffs in the very first gender discrimination cases were men, hand-picked because the idea was that judges would sympathize more with them. It worked really well as a litigation strategy.

Reactions: Night Spring

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
I'd like to crowdfund a team into finding where common sense went. If any time is left, also to research how jkerda has so much free time on his hands.
I love all of you and like a good parent I just have to correct you guys all the time. My work is never done :p

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
In the UK, the annual Queen's Message at Christmas opened with a choirboy from Kings College, Cambridge singing Once In Royal David's City.

Like most such choirs in Anglican Churches, Kings' does not admit girls to its membership. A fact that had prompted British soprano Lesley Garret to ask "Why Not?"

The question is, like most such topics, more complicated than at first appearance. Not only is the all-boys choir part of a tradition dating back centuries, not only do many musical experts to ascribe a particularly beautiful timbre to the sound of a pre-pubescent boys voices, but there is also the issue of recruitment: 12- and 13- year old boys don't want to sing with female contemporaries. If the choirs admitted girls, then they would ultimately lose the boys. It's complicated.

I personally believe women to be in every way the equal of men. But that doesn't make men and women the same. They aren't.

As it turns out, there is no widespread movement to include girls in the membership of choirs such as Kings, or in the Vienna Boys Choir, or many of the other groups. These organisations do make efforts to ensure girls are given the same access to scholarships which typically make up the "compensation" boy choristers receive for their service. And there are no shortages of opportunities for women and girls to sing in choirs.

I'm glad we live in a society where questions as to the legality and rectitude of single-sex organisations, be they dance teams, football squads, or choirs are settled by judges and courts. They don't always get these questions right, but its far better than the alternative. I don't begrudge these Minnesota boys their right to sue for the right to join an all-female dance team (although I question how well they'll perform the splits and other gymnastic moves typically associated with such teams.) But that is a question for another day.

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
In the UK, the annual Queen's Message at Christmas opened with a choirboy from Kings College, Cambridge singing Once In Royal David's City.

Like most such choirs in Anglican Churches, Kings' does not admit girls to its membership. A fact that had prompted British soprano Lesley Garret to ask "Why Not?"

The question is, like most such topics, more complicated than at first appearance. Not only is the all-boys choir part of a tradition dating back centuries, not only do many musical experts to ascribe a particularly beautiful timbre to the sound of a pre-pubescent boys voices, but there is also the issue of recruitment: 12- and 13- year old boys don't want to sing with female contemporaries. If the choirs admitted girls, then they would ultimately lose the boys. It's complicated.

I personally believe women to be in every way the equal of men. But that doesn't make men and women the same. They aren't.

As it turns out, there is no widespread movement to include girls in the membership of choirs such as Kings, or in the Vienna Boys Choir, or many of the other groups. These organisations do make efforts to ensure girls are given the same access to scholarships which typically make up the "compensation" boy choristers receive for their service. And there are no shortages of opportunities for women and girls to sing in choirs.

I'm glad we live in a society where questions as to the legality and rectitude of single-sex organisations, be they dance teams, football squads, or choirs are settled by judges and courts. They don't always get these questions right, but its far better than the alternative. I don't begrudge these Minnesota boys their right to sue for the right to join an all-female dance team (although I question how well they'll perform the splits and other gymnastic moves typically associated with such teams.) But that is a question for another day.
It isn't complicated.... It is BEING MADE complicated.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This is nothing new. The plaintiffs in the very first gender discrimination cases were men, hand-picked because the idea was that judges would sympathize more with them. It worked really well as a litigation strategy.
I wonder if something like this happened to place males on cheerleader teams?

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
But as for the boys wanting to join, I say there's not much threat to fairness in joining, so sure; why not?
Because you, I, or anyone else can make that argument about any group or association that chooses to be all-girl or all-boy.

The question should be, why should one boy’s desire to join an all-girl group supersede the desire of all the girls in the group who want it to be exclusively for girls?

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Because you, I, or anyone else can make that argument about any group or association that chooses to be all-girl or all-boy.

The question should be, why should one boy’s desire to join an all-girl group supersede the desire of all the girls in the group who want it to be exclusively for girls?
If it's a private group they have that right, if it's a public group (and being from a school it is a public entity) and the introduction of the opposite sex (gender?) doesn't infringe on the fairness of competition, there is little argument to be had.
[doublepost=1547054869][/doublepost]
No one should deny them the God-given right to wear leotards. No one! :mad:
We're manly men!

Solver

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
USA
I know, but the BOY scouts said "boy" too and look what happened to them? Just saying.....it’s kind of funny really. The whole idea is ridiculous. I don’t care what it is, if something is made for just boys or girls then let it be. Welcome to 2019 I guess.
That reminds me, they still have not eliminated the word “girl” out of that matriarchal group called the Girl Scouts.
o_O

Reactions: Retsiem

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
If it's a private group they have that right, if it's a public group (and being from a school it is a public entity) and the introduction of the opposite sex (gender?) doesn't infringe on the fairness of competition, there is little argument to be had.

I understand that is the way it is, but the question is why it’s that way and why should it be so?

Under this framework, a school can’t have, for example, a support group for teen student moms so they can talk about their unique struggles and issues.