HIGH SCHOOL/COLLEGE kids on here: If you own a iPhone are you considered well off?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Crank Lucas, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Crank Lucas macrumors member

I mean for us young people who are in college you know times are rough, living off ramen noodles and whatnot. But since you own a iphone do those around you consider you to be "paid"? or somewhat rich? I mean I have tons of friends who would kill for an iphone, but at the end of the day its an expensive gadget with an expensive billing plan

2. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

I would say part of that depends on who paid for the phone and the plan? Who paid for school? Who is paying for the ramen noodles?

3. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

It was considered well off when the phone cost $599. Now it's just another phone.

4. Mac?Daddy macrumors member

I was at first when I bought/unlocked an original iPhone off eBay to use in Canada before 3G came out, and when the 3G's first came out and I sold the edge phone (which paid for my 3G and then some) I was considered even more "spoiled" (even though I paid for both the original phone and my phone bill myself). Now, however, the iPhone has become just another phone because so many people are getting them.

5. machacker macrumors regular

In my group of friends I am considered well off since I have a job and most of them do not. I am the Apple Campus Rep for my college, so I have a well paying job that is a lot of fun at the same time. So they consider me the spoiled one. But as for in general. Not really. There are SO many people who have iPhones now. I think a lot of parents get them for the freshman as graduation gifts and such. I saw a lot pop up after christmas this year. So *shrug* I am not spoiled, but I do like my gadgets!

6. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Ditto. Its much more accessible now.

7. sparkyms macrumors 65816

8. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Alot of people I know have started getting iphones for birthdays etc. Those who aren't getting iPhones seem to be getting Blackberries, which I find weird 'cause it doesn't strike me as a 'student' phone at all (maybe 'cause my dad uses them for work)

9. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Not at all. A lot of my classmates had Blackberrys while I was still using a Nokia phone for most of college until I could afford an iPhone.

College is a different beast than high school when it comes to determining how well off someone is. I have an iPhone but that doesn't mean that I'm well off because I'm paying for school, working, etc. Now, any high school kid that has one - kid doesn't need it and I would instantly consider him well-to-do.

10. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

Not me, I'm in high school. I asked my parents about getting an iPhone, and we looked into it, but it turned out to be far too expensive (with the plan and all). So that gets a no-go.

Instead, I just bought myself an iPod touch 2nd generation. :D

11. The Governor macrumors regular

I've heard the iphone be called many things, but just another phone? That's a first

12. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

It is just another phone, pricewise I'm talking about. I work in an inner city ER and I've met patients on Medical Assistance who own an iPhone. Ironically, they then ask me for a script for OTC Tylenol. LOL

13. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

Amazing how much value young people put into what others think of them, or how they are "considered".

Don't give me the diatribe on "you don't care", the subject of the thread wouldn't even cross your mind otherwise, let alone create actually post it.

14. Ol3s macrumors regular

Ol3s

Before it was, as it was not available in switzerland, so it cost around $1000 to get one. At the moment if you have the original iphone ur considered well off in my high school. The new one is considered nothing unless you bought it unlocked.

15. whitemacbook macrumors member

whitemacbook

my gf is considered well-off because i drive a chrysler 300C and she's in college

16. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

The iPhone itself might not be expensive, but it comes attached to a $75+ phone plan... And THAT is expensive.

17. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

Not many people in my school have iPhones. I have one and even though i go to a decent school iPhones are pretty rare. On that basis your considered pretty well off to have one.

18. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, you are well off.

The iPhone didn't exist when I was in college, but there was no way I would have been able to pay for a $70 - $100 a month service plan back then.

And I would have called myself 'well off' at that point!

So if you can be 'well off' and still not be able to have an iPhone, I can't understand how someone could have one and not be well off. (Unless they make very poor choices, that is.)

19. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I'm not necessarily well off, but I have an iPhone. I have a job that pays well (for a student) and am able to afford my iPhone plan, health/car insurance, rent, etc. without much worry.

I guess I'd say I'm comfortable.

20. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

Yeah I wouldn't really call it well off. A crappy Dare phone is $200, and those are all over. It was something when the phone cost $599 but not now.

21. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yeah... i goto a school with people who can't afford a lot of things. and i feel like a huge douche pulling out my iPhone in class... sometimes you gotta feel that way - but if you work hard you can afford a lot of great things :)

22. macnewbie13 macrumors member

I have an iPhone and I'm in college and I'm in no way well off. I paid for the phone, but it is on a family plan so I do not pay for the bill. But i have seen a lot more people with iPhones, since the price went do it is considered to be "just another phone" price wise but with all the other stuff that it does, just makes people want it more.... there are also a lot of kids with Blackberrys at my school, which i see as a business phone as well...

23. tvp macrumors member

People at my school have called me "well off" or those types of things for having an iPhone. But I go to school in a pretty rural type of area where the income level isn't super high. I just shrug is off, I work full time at a well paying job on top of going to school full time and paying for that on my own as well. If I want to buy nice things who is anyone to judge?

24. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

To me, if you have a cellphone, you are well off.

I live on a very diverse campus (IU), being a state school, you see a stratum of people and economic levels. If you have an education in this day, you are pretty well off.

So to have an iPhone, you are sitting pretty.

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Obviously you haven't been to inner city ghettos where everyone seems to have a cell phone (especially the sidekicks).