High school library gets rid of its books

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by OutThere, Dec 27, 2009.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Getting to be kind of old news, but worth thinking about: Cushing Academy in Mass has given away its 20,000 books in favor of...

I originally heard about this both because I went to a prep school similar to (though much better than ;)) Cushing and because my parents work in publishing and have been talking a lot about it lately. Didn't get a whole lot of press, though I think it's a pretty notable event for anyone concerned with education or academics.

Thinking about it more I had the idea that it might have been a veiled cost-cutting maneuver, showcasing a 'large' $500,000 investment while eliminating just as much annually in no-longer-necessary library staff position salaries.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/09/04/a_library_without_the_books/

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

20,000 books replaced by 18 eBooks. Yeah, that sounds like there'll be enough for everyone. :rolleyes: Its a library, not an internet cafe. (though that sounds like what they're trying to turn it into. What a load.)

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Why would they put coffee machines in there? They shouldn't do this, they should instead give every student an eBook reader.

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

cutting out arts and physical education wasn't making us stupid enough I guess.

Thinking back to grade school, none of this would have helped me at all. 4 classes have a book report, but only 18 kids can get the book report done, at least they have a coffee machine to keep them up while waiting for a chance to get learned. Brilliant!. :rolleyes:

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Well that might possibly turn out kind of a cool, hopefully they will keep a stock of electronic books accessible by all students, instead of hoping that Wikipedia will do the job.

Then I came upon this,

and I was like:

[​IMG]

6. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Not a bad idea, the current generation of students can't read anyway.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

When i was in school we got points for passing book tests and then spent them at the "book reading store" at the end of the year, it was a pretty big deal, then again our rural piece of crap school that was proposed to be closed down did score as the #1 district in kansas.

8. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Where in Kansas did you go to school? I think I went to school in that district. :D

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

USD 224

10. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Dang. I was in USD 339.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Sounds like a good idea, mostly the books just sit on the shelves, and you need so many books for a library to be useful that this is a better approach IMO.

Especially if they buy anything through the store that people want with the money they save on not having real books.

12. OutThere thread starter macrumors 603

OutThere

But giving away all of the material they already had, much of which may not be available in digital form? Could digital libraries of the future not grow and develop alongside the stacks?

I'd contemplate suicide never mind fail if I had to write my 100 page undergrad thesis with a Kindle instead of my college's nearly 1m hard-copy volumes.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The thing is you need that kind of size for it to be really worthwhile. I did all my undergraduate papers using the Oxford University library (which has 11 million books) and it was pretty bad even using the University of Warwick library (which has 1.2 million books).

14. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

A 50k coffee shop and 10k worth of "Books" to replace a library. Am I missing something?

15. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

Wow! They're gonna "project data from the Internet" - - wait... what?!?

16. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Wouldn't it have been easier to burn the books?

17. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

They should just give the students a crash course in ditch digging and send them on their way.

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Don't understand the logic behind this move.

Why not have both? Books are cool. :)

19. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Yes, they are; but, if noone now knows how to read them, what's the point of keeping them?

20. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

So they can learn how to read them? :confused::confused:

21. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

So they can learn that "no one" is two words?

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not necessarily.

23. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Actually you're right; I missed a key combination as I was typing. What I meant to type was: noöne.

24. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

If you ask some educators there is a program for that--it's called Job Corps. The education systems last resort for unruly adolescents, when I worked as a student teacher I met many teachers who gave up trying and figured that the Department of Labor and its vocational training program were the best dumping grounds for the kids they didn't want to deal with.

25. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Are there no workhouses?