High Sierra 10.13.1 beta 4 - External Hard Drive Issues

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
I've seen people talking about EXT HD issues on other threads, but I'm having an issue where the HDDs just don't show up on the desktop, or they show up funky even in finder (only one of the two partitions shows up sometimes).. really strange. Worked fine in 10.13 and 10.13.1 beta 3, but then as soon as I updated to beta 4, bam, no longer showing external hard drives on the desktop.

Anyone else having the issue ? Find a solution? I temporarily went back to 10.13 public release until they resolve the issue or someone suggests a fix... which is unfortunate since my iPhoto library is now 10.13.1 so I can't use it in my current install.

Any ideas\suggestions?

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
I have this problem in 10.13. Finder seems badly broken when adding and removing external drives. I was hoping to see this fixed in 10.13.1. Seriously regret upgrading from Sierra.

Poncho

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Holland
It doesn’t even show the drive. Seems very very bad.
Had a problem similar to this. I created a new admin user account then shut down then logged into this. Drives showed up and worked perfectly.

Then I fast user switched into regular account, clicked on drives and hard spinning beach ball and a frozen finder.

I traced it in the end to third-party software: DrivDx. If this was running some drives show and others don't.

Quit it and all drives work OK. I messaged the support but that was about three weeks ago and I have heard nothing back from them

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
Had a problem similar to this. I created a new admin user account then shut down then logged into this. Drives showed up and worked perfectly.

Then I fast user switched into regular account, clicked on drives and hard spinning beach ball and a frozen finder.

I traced it in the end to third-party software: DrivDx. If this was running some drives show and others don't.

Quit it and all drives work OK. I messaged the support but that was about three weeks ago and I have heard nothing back from them
Not sure, I don't have this third party software, so my guess is you're just finding that issue as coincidence.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
Just updated to Beta 5 released this AM, and can confirm the external hard drives are now back displaying on the desktop! :)