High Sierra + 2016 MBP 15" + Mantiz-02 eGPU + AMD RX Vega 64 + LG 38UC99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Got this setup to work under High Sierra... Literally plug and play... High Sierra will recognize the card right away... See an unboxing and setup here...

Not a huge difference between the Vega 56/64/580 cards...

Reactions: alien3dx

Cinepresa

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2017
Hi.
I've a problem with AMD VEGA 56.

I have this configuration:

1) Macbook Pro 15 (late 2016) with High Sierra 10.13
2) Mantiz-02 connected via thunderbolt 3 port
3) AMD Radeon VEGA RX 56 (by Sapphire)
4) LG 38" widescreen 4k monitor connected with one of the 3 display port of the VEGA.
5) My SIP was enable;
For now I have NO SSD hard drive connected (I order a Samsung EVO 500GB to put inside the Mantiz for connect it direclty with VEGA)

My system read correctly MANTIZ and VEGA card.
But I have this problems:

1) With VEGA connected my monitor freeze very often (can move the mouse)
2) If I try to use Editing Application like DAVINCI RESOLVE, ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS, macOs goes in crash;
3) Also with the GAME (like Tomb Raider) it's impossibile to open then;
4) Also with YOUTUBE I have problems...

Somebody can explain me if I made something wrong?
Maybe I need to change the VEGA?

Thank you.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Hi.
I've a problem with AMD VEGA 56.

I have this configuration:

1) Macbook Pro 15 (late 2016) with High Sierra 10.13
2) Mantiz-02 connected via thunderbolt 3 port
3) AMD Radeon VEGA RX 56 (by Sapphire)
4) LG 38" widescreen 4k monitor connected with one of the 3 display port of the VEGA.
5) My SIP was enable;
For now I have NO SSD hard drive connected (I order a Samsung EVO 500GB to put inside the Mantiz for connect it direclty with VEGA)

My system read correctly MANTIZ and VEGA card.
But I have this problems:

1) With VEGA connected my monitor freeze very often (can move the mouse)
2) If I try to use Editing Application like DAVINCI RESOLVE, ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS, macOs goes in crash;
3) Also with the GAME (like Tomb Raider) it's impossibile to open then;
4) Also with YOUTUBE I have problems...

Somebody can explain me if I made something wrong?
Maybe I need to change the VEGA?

Thank you.
Yeah, read some of my other threads on this forum and others... Your setup won't work with the RX 56 or 64... Tried both, and both froze up my system. I have the RX 580 and it is butter smooth. It is the one included with Apple's Developer Kit. Should be plug and play, mine was. As for the SSD, you'll need the SATA/data cable for it, one is not included, only the power cable is included.

Cinepresa

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2017
Yeah, read some of my other threads on this forum and others... Your setup won't work with the RX 56 or 64... Tried both, and both froze up my system. I have the RX 580 and it is butter smooth. It is the one included with Apple's Developer Kit. Should be plug and play, mine was. As for the SSD, you'll need the SATA/data cable for it, one is not included, only the power cable is included.
Thank you.
So what I need to do?
Change the VEGA? Or waiting upgrade of macOs by Apple?

I know about the SATA cable. I buy it.
Thank you.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Thank you.
So what I need to do?
Change the VEGA? Or waiting upgrade of macOs by Apple?

I know about the SATA cable. I buy it.
Thank you.
Well, if you can suffer, I would imagine a software/firmware update will be out soon... Apple is putting the 64 in the new Mac Pro, so it should be good around that time... There isn't much of a difference between the RX 580 and the 64 on the Mac, as of today... I opted for a more stable system. I do see that Mantiz said they got the 64 and High Sierra benchmarked, but not sure of the reliability he saw.

Cinepresa

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2017
Well, if you can suffer, I would imagine a software/firmware update will be out soon... Apple is putting the 64 in the new Mac Pro, so it should be good around that time... There isn't much of a difference between the RX 580 and the 64 on the Mac, as of today... I opted for a more stable system. I do see that Mantiz said they got the 64 and High Sierra benchmarked, but not sure of the reliability he saw.
Thanks.
I wait to MacOS 10.13.1 and after the update the VEGA 56 goes always in crash and freeze my macbook pro.
So no update for VEGA 56. I need to work so I can't wait and I must change.

Now I'll buy the RX 580 8GB.
Also the Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+ is supported on MacOs High Sierra or I need to buy XFX?
Thanks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Thanks.
I wait to MacOS 10.13.1 and after the update the VEGA 56 goes always in crash and freeze my macbook pro.
So no update for VEGA 56. I need to work so I can't wait and I must change.

Now I'll buy the RX 580 8GB.
Also the Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+ is supported on MacOs High Sierra or I need to buy XFX?
Thanks
I have the AXRX Radeon RX-580 Red Devil Overclocked 8GB GDDR5 and works fine.