High Sierra and macbook air 2011.

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by SoApple, Sep 25, 2017.

1. SoApple macrumors regular

For those who have an older macbook air 2010-11-12 air and who will/have already upgraded to high sierra , have you seen any improvements or hinderances in performance?

Thanks.

2. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I have the High Sierra gold master running on an old 2010 MBA with 2gb of memory and 1.8ghz processor. After a couple of weeks I actually think it runs better than Sierra. And I was severely disappointed with the High Sierra Beta 1. That was so unworkable I had to revert back to Sierra. It crashed way too much.

3. lord e55ex macrumors member

Good to hear. I wonder if Photos and itunes run any better afterwards on a MacBook Air 2011

4. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I’m not sure about speed for Photos, it seems about the same to me as Sierra. However, the photo sync seems to work better. I used to have problems with pictures taken on my phone didn’t show up in my MacBook air for a while. They seem to be there right away now.

5. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

High Sierra is fine on any Mac with SSD and 8 GB RAM. It's OK with SSD and 4 GB. It runs poorly on 2 GB RAM.

But then again, you could say the same thing about any macOS version in the last several years.

6. torana355 macrumors 68040

ive had the beta running on my 2011 MBA with 4gb of ram since it came out and it has been great for me.

7. Lara F macrumors 6502a

Good to know. I was tempted to take advantage of Apple's back to school sale to upgrade my 2011 model, but I just couldn't justify it in the end (it'd have to be another Air, the Pros are simply too expensive). Hopefully no reason to regret after installing High Sierra tonight.

8. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

2012 entry level MBA with a jetdrive SSD. Transitions seem smoother, but otherwise, haven’t had the opportunity to play around with the system yet.

Took quite a while for me to download and install the update though. Set aside at least 2 hours for this.

9. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

There’s the rub, Sierra runs horribly with 2gb of RAM. High Sierra runs better in comparison. Still not as fast as El Capitan though.

I should note that I’m a heavy iPad Pro user and only use my Air for Safari and Word. And Safari is much better in High Sierra which contributes to my feeling that High Sierra runs better on old Airs than Sierra.

10. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

I guess it's all relative. If had to run any of the last few macOS versions with 2 GB RAM, I'd rip my hair out.

11. bbfc macrumors 68040

It runs fine on my early 2011 MacBook Pro, with SSD and 4GB RAM. But I recently installed the SSD. Without one, it’s less impressive.