High sierra and wd drives for mac

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Gaz125, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Gaz125 macrumors newbie

Gaz125

Hi folks,some strange behaviour from my passport for mac and a my book for mac wd drives running on my I mac.
    Upgraded to High sierra and drives have mounted no problem,but when i access my music files on the Wd drives and try to click play,nothing happens,There used to be an arrow to click to play but its not appearing,if i drag an individual file to desktop out of the drive,it plays no problem.Have hunted around the net for answers but so far no joy,wondering if anyone can shed light on this isssue??

2. hammerfangs macrumors newbie

Do you have WD Drive Utilities or WD Security installed on your Mac? I am not sure if this is relevant to your case specifically but both of these applications do not play nice with High Sierra; yet.

In my case, Time Machine on my WD My Cloud would not complete the backup which includes a USB 3 connected WD My Book. It would start but would not complete as the backup size grew continuously. WD website shows that these applications are not compatible with High Sierra. Sure enough, upon uninstalling the application, Time Machine completed the backup and I have had no problems since.

I am not sure if this will help, but try uninstalling the WD applications (if you have them installed, that is), at least until WD updates their applications for High Sierra.

3. Gaz125 thread starter macrumors newbie

Gaz125

Hi there and thanks for replying,i dont have the drives utilities or security installed,the drives appear on my desktop and dont require any passwords etc to access,the drives are mounted and i can access the music files on them,just cant play them withing the wd drive.

4. hammerfangs macrumors newbie

Sorry this has not been of any help. I just tested it on my machine and I am able to play them off of my WD My Book.

5. dcmaccam macrumors member

Have you tried to right click after you select a track and then open with Quicktime Player