High Sierra Broke my MBP

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by readorkable, Sep 22, 2017.

1. readorkable macrumors newbie

readorkable

Keyboard and trackpad no longer work, fan is incredibly loud, battery icon is gone and wont come back. Bringing in for repair next week.

2. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Are you sure it's not:

1) A borked High Sierra install?
    2) A borked computer, that just happened to bork itself coincidentally when you had High Sierra installed?

Have you tried booting off a backup install?

I currently have High Sierra running on 4 systems (full time on 3 and on a backup drive for the other), and all are 100% fine.

3. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Why bring it in for repair?
    Why not just revert to Sierra (or whatever was on it before you tried the upgrade)?

This is what CarbonCopyCloner (or SuperDuper) cloned backups are for.
    If you had one, you'd be "back to normal" in the time it takes to re-clone the backup to the internal drive...

4. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

Sorry to hear that. I'm waiting until the GM release...thought that still seems to be risky. I'll probably wait until at least the end of the day to look for horror stories and then pull the trigger. If there are reports of issues, I'll wait. CCC or SD backup are excellent ideas for next time.

As far as trying to fix it, try seeing if an external keyboard or mouse works. Likely there is a program that is conflicting with the OS if you can track down what that is. You can also try booting into safe mode and disable all the auto-running programs as a try.

5. readorkable thread starter macrumors newbie

readorkable

I would but my keyboard doesn't work

6. Lazeran macrumors newbie

Lazeran

try a external keyboard if you have any

7. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Even on boot? So you can't access the recovery partition? (command-R).

8. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Try booting the computer while holding the option key. If it opens the boot menu instead of booting into the OS, the keyboard's fine. Turn off the computer and try the following:

Hold Command+R while booting to reinstall (or at least diagnose) the OS.
    If that doesn't work, hold Option+Command+R while booting to do pretty much the same thing, but you'll need an Internet connection.
    If that STILL doesn't work, hold Shift+Option+Command+R while booting to install the original OS that came with the MacBook Pro.

By the way, I hope you made a backup of your files prior to upgrading.